Most Forgiving CB?

There are a ton of options out there but I think the term 'CB' has been expanded on a bit lately. If you want the look of a small head at address I think the J15 CB and the 716 CB are going to be untouched in terms of looks/performance. If you are ok with a head that's slightly larger at address the CF16 or Ben Hogan PTx are probably the way to go.

JMO of course.

Would you classify the 745s as very small and compact. These have intrigued me.

I would not say they are small, but not GI size either. Bigger than the S55 though... For the size of the head, the top line is a little bulky so I think it makes it feel a little friendlier. I tried a set of 850 forged about a month ago as having a 1 year old is limiting practice time, but mis hits felt terrible to me. Mis hits with the 745s feel much better and really don't punish you all that bad. Hit them solid and it'll make you happy every time, lol, like what I imagine a Mizzy "should" feel like. If they are on your radar, make sure you get some swings in with them.

Titleist AP1 is really easy to hit and is very consistent, the Bridgestone CB and DF are fantastic as well.

There are a ton of options out there but I think the term 'CB' has been expanded on a bit lately. If you want the look of a small head at address I think the J15 CB and the 716 CB are going to be untouched in terms of looks/performance. If you are ok with a head that's slightly larger at address the CF16 or Ben Hogan PTx are probably the way to go.

JMO of course.

the 716 CB is where i looked first. My only issue was they are more expensive. I was fit last year and they only offer the shaft i was fit into as an upgrade. And I've heard/read that they are pretty unforgiving for their style. However, that could be wrong. Thats part of the reason I started this thread.

I didn't lump the cf16 in his category. cf16 pro yes, which I didn't find very forgiving so didn't mention.

The OP did which was why I was asking

the 716 CB is where i looked first. My only issue was they are more expensive. I was fit last year and they only offer the shaft i was fit into as an upgrade. And I've heard/read that they are pretty unforgiving for their style. However, that could be wrong. Thats part of the reason I started this thread.

If price is a factor that would change all my recommendations except the J15 CB. I thought the 716 CB launched great and were pretty forgiving for their size, but everyone's mileage will vary in that regard depending on swing types and misses.
Your best method will be to hit the clubs that interest you and are in your price range and see if anything stands out. If you have it in your head that an iron is lacking in a certain area that thought can be really tough to erase so I'd steer clear.

To me, it was easy transition from r7 iron to 2014 tour preferred cb. Very easy to hit.

To me, it was easy transition from r7 iron to 2014 tour preferred cb. Very easy to hit.

Have heard real good things about these. Plus you can find them now from 499-599 which is a decent price

I have been looking at the i. The internet reviews seem off the charts and they seem to be pretty medium sized. Do you like the CFS shafts?

Yes, I love the CFS shafts - nice feel, mid weight and very good spin/launch numbers for me.

I have been looking at the i. The internet reviews seem off the charts and they seem to be pretty medium sized. Do you like the CFS shafts?

the ping rep told me their cfs shafts feel a lot like kbs.

The cfs do feel soft, but I think that's cause they play soft whereas KBS play truer to flex but still have a great feel. The cfs stiff in the i20s I tried ballooned on me big time... I was hitting a 4 and 7 iron nearly the same distance. It seems people either love or hate the i series... I was not a fan considering the other options out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The apex cf16s and Titleist 716 AP2s are two very forgiving sets of CB irons.

The apex cf16s and Titleist 716 AP2s are two very forgiving sets of CB irons.

I hit both the cf16 and ap2 yesterday and thought the cf16 was night and day more forgiving.

I hit both the cf16 and ap2 yesterday and thought the cf16 was night and day more forgiving.

Yep, everyone will be different. For me in answer to the OP question, they are both forgiving CBs

Williaza, what's your big miss? Would help to know what kind of help you need in a club. Is your big miss a chunk, toe hit, hosel rocket, thin or blading it?

Yep, everyone will be different. For me in answer to the OP question, they are both forgiving CBs

Yeah for sure. I badly want to love the ap2 as I love both the look and feel of them, but not being able to hit the 7i to 150 when the cf16 was 180 makes me think the cf16 are on another level.

Yeah for sure. I badly want to love the ap2 as I love both the look and feel of them, but not being able to hit the 7i to 150 when the cf16 was 180 makes me think the cf16 are on another level.

You hit the cf16 7i 180 and AP2 less than 150? Are we sure that's a forgiveness issue?

You hit the cf16 7i 180 and AP2 less than 150? Are we sure that's a forgiveness issue?

I'm not sure.

the cf16 were 5-10 yards longer than my current irons, but with a longer length and stronger loft it made sense. However both good and bad shots were consistently long making me think the cf16 are very forgiving and extremely easy to hit.

With the ap2 I hit some that felt really good but the distance was way behind. Way behind what I expect from my tp CB as well. Maybe something else was going on. That was just my impression after a dozen or so shots with each.

Appreciate it. Im in my 2nd year played traditional CBs. With Traditional lofts. Got some extra money and looking into irons and have realized the bigger irons with strong lofts aren't fitting my eye. However, I am still a 15 cap so Im trying to see if there is something like I've been playing but maybe more forgiving. Someone at my club told me to look at the S55s

You are about the same cap as I am. I currently play the AP1 however I am testing the Hogan PTx and just loving the performance. I opted for both the wedge (TK) and iron (PTx) trial. I will be buying some of the TK wedges, these are just some of the best wedges I have ever hit. I am also currently testing the 29* and41* Hogan PTx irons. Performance wise, they are top notch, really can't complain about the forgiveness because you have plenty. One thing that impresses me is the amount of forgiveness you have in this forged iron plus they play true to loft.
Take your time and explore all of the offerings and tests that you can. What works for me might not work for you and visa versa.

Not many people have had them in hand yet so you won't see it mentioned in here much but I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice to overlook the Hogan PTx irons...traditional lofts (doesn't matter to me but you've mentioned it), way better than average spin on balls into greens, great feel, compact size, no distance losses vs my i25s and so far for me really impressive forgiveness.

Williaza, what's your big miss? Would help to know what kind of help you need in a club. Is your big miss a chunk, toe hit, hosel rocket, thin or blading it?

Used to be Chunk or big time fan to the right...since I've improved this season its now more thin or a medium hook...but more of the hook..ive almost eliminated the chunk and hit very few thin per round

Sorry that turned into a very convoluted answer. My miss is usually a chunk or thin...Ive cut WAY down on chunks...as for on the face to be honest im pretty good at being center face.

Also wanted to thank everyone on the great responses and feed back.

Sounds like you need to get outside and hit a bunch of different irons off the grass. It is going to be the only way to tell what will suit you best if you're having trouble at impact. Try everything you can.

I played the TM TP CB irons for a couple of years and have just recently gone to the apex pro (older version) and find them a lot more forgiving on miss hits than the TM cb's were.

Back