Most Forgiving CB?

I played the TM TP CB irons for a couple of years and have just recently gone to the apex pro (older version) and find them a lot more forgiving on miss hits than the TM cb's were.

Agreed, the TP CB (most recent ones) while looking AWESOME, really didn't test all that well for me in terms of launch and ball-speed retention.

Looking for opinions on the most forgiving CB irons. 716s...Mizuno MP-25s....Taylormade tour Preferred...Apex pro...Apex 16..etc

OR if you have an opinion of the simple best CB I would be interested in that. Thanks

This is a really interesting question Will, because there seems to be a rather wide definition of "CB" and "forgiving" right now. That the Apex CF 16 and Apex Pros are in the same category can lead to a lot of blurred lines.

IF that is the case, I'll suggest that Apex CF 16 are probably on the realm of 'most' forgiving purely because of the cup face design and what actually technology will do to the resulting flight of the ball when missing center. in fact on that list I think CF 16 are probably the only irons I'd put in the "forgiving" category of golf clubs.

I play the Bridgestone J15 CB irons because I think they let me error a little bit without huge punishment but it's really only marginal. The rolled leading edge of the sole and the slightly wider than average groove area combined with a well balanced material placement across the face have made me feel better about some 'okay' strikes but I am still seriously punished with bad swings. I tried to venture into what I thought would be more forgiving heads but I seem to spin a lot of the 'tour' or 'pro' heads about 1k more RPMs with same shafts as compared to my J15, which translates into at least a full clubs worth of distance loss based on mediocre launch monitor data and on course feedback.

Personally, if I was looking for 'forgiving' heads (and I kind of am) my next move would be into a set of CF 16 irons purely because of the cup face tech they built into them. I am really eager to get one of those irons in hand with an ideal shaft to see if it can outperform the J15 CB on great strikes as well as poor strikes.

This is a really interesting question Will, because there seems to be a rather wide definition of "CB" and "forgiving" right now. That the Apex CF 16 and Apex Pros are in the same category can lead to a lot of blurred lines.

IF that is the case, I'll suggest that Apex CF 16 are probably on the realm of 'most' forgiving purely because of the cup face design and what actually technology will do to the resulting flight of the ball when missing center. in fact on that list I think CF 16 are probably the only irons I'd put in the "forgiving" category of golf clubs.

I play the Bridgestone J15 CB irons because I think they let me error a little bit without huge punishment but it's really only marginal. The rolled leading edge of the sole and the slightly wider than average groove area combined with a well balanced material placement across the face have made me feel better about some 'okay' strikes but I am still seriously punished with bad swings. I tried to venture into what I thought would be more forgiving heads but I seem to spin a lot of the 'tour' or 'pro' heads about 1k more RPMs with same shafts as compared to my J15, which translates into at least a full clubs worth of distance loss based on mediocre launch monitor data and on course feedback.

Personally, if I was looking for 'forgiving' heads (and I kind of am) my next move would be into a set of CF 16 irons purely because of the cup face tech they built into them. I am really eager to get one of those irons in hand with an ideal shaft to see if it can outperform the J15 CB on great strikes as well as poor strikes.

Thank you very much. I guess I should have been more clear. My first set were smallish CBs with very traditional lofts. So since I've come into some extra cash I've thought of upgrading. My problem is I just learned my basic yardages and dont really need more iron distance. And every time i go into a store they ask me my handicap and give me some huge GI iron. They havent felt right or caught my eye. I like my size club..I know this sounds weird but I've got good at changing trajectory. But I dont want to buy a traditional CB and basically start playing something that is super bladish and screw myself.

That was my thinking.

Thank you very much. I guess I should have been more clear. My first set were smallish CBs with very traditional lofts. So since I've come into some extra cash I've thought of upgrading. My problem is I just learned my basic yardages and dont really need more iron distance. And every time i go into a store they ask me my handicap and give me some huge GI iron. They havent felt right or caught my eye. I like my size club..I know this sounds weird but I've got good at changing trajectory. But I dont want to buy a traditional CB and basically start playing something that is super bladish and screw myself.

That was my thinking.

see, that's why i didn't mention the cf 16. they're not huge by any means, but could be bigger than what your first set, and are almost guaranteed to be longer, maybe even 2 full clubs longer. i LOVE the cf16 and would game them in a heartbeat if my current irons start letting me down. but from what you have described about what you're looking for, i don't feel they fit into that category. personally i would never put the cf16 in the same category as the ap2 or j15cb. i would put them more in the srixon 545, j15dpf, i25, ap1 category.

I'm not sure.

the cf16 were 5-10 yards longer than my current irons, but with a longer length and stronger loft it made sense. However both good and bad shots were consistently long making me think the cf16 are very forgiving and extremely easy to hit.

With the ap2 I hit some that felt really good but the distance was way behind. Way behind what I expect from my tp CB as well. Maybe something else was going on. That was just my impression after a dozen or so shots with each.
I gamed AP2's for 3 season's. They were very punishing distance wise on miss hits...

So based on what I've read you don't want the most forgiving CB? You want a low price forgiving players CB. If you like the AP2 why not get a set of 714s? That will be the best of both worlds.

So based on what I've read you don't want the most forgiving CB? You want a low price forgiving players CB. If you like the AP2 why not get a set of 714s? That will be the best of both worlds.

Ive actually had a few people recommend the Apex Pros from last year. Although i went to a local shop and did like the look of the S55s but didn't hit them

That was my thinking.

if that's the case, I would strongly encourage you go to a demo day from a single company and run through their entire lineup with the shaft of your choice without someone convincing you what works based on your handicap. If I've learned anything on the internets and at events, it's that you decide what works for you.

Ideally, an outside one that you can see your own flight. It helps dictate the difference for YOUR swing for clubs like the Bridgestone CB vs the DF, or the Apex Pro vs the Apex.

Looking for opinions on the most forgiving CB irons. 716s...Mizuno MP-25s....Taylormade tour Preferred...Apex pro...Apex 16..etc

OR if you have an opinion of the simple best CB I would be interested in that. Thanks

If you are willing to consider smaller companies, the Maltby TE forged and DBM forged meet your criteria as do the Wishon 565 irons.

Man I do miss playing the J40cbs. I thought they were pretty forgiving too.

Ive actually had a few people recommend the Apex Pros from last year. Although i went to a local shop and did like the look of the S55s but didn't hit them

The S55 are really nice irons. If that is what suits your eye and you end up liking them after hitting them, then buy those.... I am not sure what your goals are for the game itself, but it might be why you're getting handed bigger clubs as the salesmen may actually be trying to help. If you just want something that looks and feels good to you, well, that's going to be hard for us to answer really, but I am sure you have options. I think a lot of the recommendations here are spot on for what you may be describing, but not actually wanting. Let us know where you end up! Can't hurt to look at some older models, too...

I will also say that I've played the original Apex Pro's and the Wilson Staff V4's. IMO in the short irons they're pretty comparable. However 4 5 and 6 I think the V4's were a touch less forgiving. 7 iron goes to the V4's dues to the tungsten weight in the sole. Also, the V4's at conventionally lofted so distance wise a tad shorter.

I will also say that I've played the original Apex Pro's and the Wilson Staff V4's. IMO in the short irons they're pretty comparable. However 4 5 and 6 I think the V4's were a touch less forgiving. 7 iron goes to the V4's dues to the tungsten weight in the sole. Also, the V4's at conventionally lofted so distance wise a tad shorter.

Really appreciate that feed back. As well as everyone else. It has been a helpful thread

Back