Most Important Aspect of Fitting?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Watch this short video from @vgolfman and then answer his question below.

head. (more specifically your ability to square said head)

It wasn't one of the answer options but, to me, the most important element necessary to get the full benefit from a fitting is the player having a consistent swing pattern. Otherwise, what is the fitter "fitting"?

Last edited:
I always believed it to be the head. Then Nick Sherburne from Club Champion came on Off Course and said it was the shaft so I'm not really sure anymore.

I think it’s most important when your fitter has a beard, because I’m not sure I can trust a beardless Vrska anymore!

To me, clubhead. Clubhead it’s going to determine your spin and launch. The shaft is going to compliment that and fine tune it, but a clubhead and loft are going to make bigger changes than changing the shaft.

Vgolfman gives Robert Rock a run for his money in the hair game.... :D

I think the most important part of fitting a golf club is the club head design and its support of the player in terms of look, setup, forgiveness level, sole design to support an ideal turf interaction and CoG.

This probably isn't the answer they are looking for, but after my recent disaster getting fit for the first time, I think the most important part is the fitter himself. Your job as a fitter should be to look at the player's swing and stats as a puzzle to be solved. They should know the equipment they carry extremely well and know how each piece is likely to act with each other. And the more experience they get as a fitter, seeing different players and swings, the better they should be able to fine-tune each fitting experience. And they should never pre-judge someone and start putting them into a box without taking the time to look at the numbers first.

I would say general specs like length, lie, etc

• Admin
I always thought the shaft was the most important part of the fitting

I would say general specs like length, lie, etc
I was a bit shocked by the GC Quad determined length and lie. Not what I had been fit into via tape measure and lie board.

It is if the final package is something you like the look, feel, and sound of. Sounds corny but really what we have learned is that all of the OEM's are at the limit of what is allowed. Some have more forgiveness where you miss but for the most part you can find your proper set from multiple OEM's with multiple shafts.

I think the best question a fitter can ask is what do you want to hit. You can appease the customer and get an idea of what they are looking for. You can be brand agnostic and really go in with an open mind but if the final package is not what you want to look at and something is close why not use the 2nd choice.

I think for me the most important is the head. Once you dial in the head profile, you can find the shaft family to help maximize forgiveness on mishits and overall performance.

It is honestly hard to pin point a single part as most important. To me it is kind of a sum of the whole deal.

EDIT

To pick one though. I will say the head. That is where you start.. when you walk in for a fitting, and you tell the fitter about your game. The first thing that is either eliminated or added is head types. Then once you settle in on a style or category of head you start working up from there.

I think each part needs to work in conjunction with the other parts. It's not really the head or the shaft but how they work together with your swing. That's what the fitter can do is make the package be greater than the sum of the parts.

Impossible to choose one for me. I can get fit for the perfect head but ignore the shaft and be unable to control the ball. I can pick the perfect shaft and throw them in a head that looks great but can't hit consistently. I can pick the perfect head & shaft but without changing the lie angles and others I'll be very inconsistent or adjusting my swing to accommodate.

However, If I had to I would vote for the head because:
1. fittings normally start with the head
2. the head needs to be nice to look at and feel good

I guess I would say the club head because the head is what actually launches the ball. This includes preferences such as shape, color, and sound, but of course data like face angle, launch, ball speed, etc. The shaft, however, is nearly equally important in dispersion and club/ball speed.

After switching from X100's in my irons to the MMT 105 X, I can say how difficult it is to match, loading, feeling, EI profiles, etc. My Mav SZ driver delivered the low spin I was looking for, but for the past year, I had trouble occasionally picking up too much spin depending on whether I was hitting a higher or lower drive and too much dispersion. I was between a Hzrdus Black 60 6.0 and 6.5 last year. After some training I finally found the Smoke Green 70, 6.5 to be the money maker. Same club head but much more consistent with the new shaft.

My thought is length and lie angle. If you deliver the club properly to the ball and the lie and length are wrong, you can hit some horrendous shots. Once you get those correct, you can find a head that works with those parameters.

I think lie angle would be the most important for irons, wedges and putter.

Shaft most important for woods

I want it to be the head, but I’m going with shaft.

Shaft for me as matching its ability to retain stability during my someone aggressive swing tempo made all the difference in the world.

When I did my fitting, the C-Taper Lites definitely made the biggest difference but sadly I couldn't try it in all the heads due to stock availability. The other clubs just did not balance and respond the same way.

I’m going to say the head, because unless you are a place like Club Champion, the shaft selection on the fitting cart is limited & normally focused on flex rather than shaft characteristics.

In fitting training for retail employees, the focus on shafts is related to the right flex not characteristics. The training is mostly about the head and how to adjust the head (on drivers) or the loft and lie on irons.

It is honestly hard to pin point a single part as most important. To me it is kind of a sum of the whole deal.

EDIT

To pick one though. I will say the head. That is where you start.. when you walk in for a fitting, and you tell the fitter about your game. The first thing that is either eliminated or added is head types. Then once you settle in on a style or category of head you start working up from there.
When I did a fitting at club champion years ago we started with head first then fine tuned it with shaft. I thought that made perfect sense. Some heads are lower or higher spin, etc especially with driver heads.

When I did a fitting at club champion years ago we started with head first then fine tuned it with shaft. I thought that made perfect sense. Some heads are lower or higher spin, etc especially with driver heads.

For our video?
You actually started with shaft and then went to heads. :D

For our video?
You actually started with shaft and then went to heads. :D
Well **** I thought it was the other way around which is why I was so confused by Nicks comments on @Canadan off course episode. I’m old and my memory is fading, guess I’ll go watch it again

Back