Most OVERrated Golfer Ever

Can’t buy Norman being overrated. HOFer with 34 PGA & European Tour wins, I just don’t see it.
If he was as good as he was hyped up to be he'd have way more than 2 majors. 20 Top 5's..... TWENTY, and he only closed out 2. smh

overrated, no.
underachiever, in some ways, yes. And I'm a big Norman fan. He was my favorite golfer when I was younger.
OVERrated big time. All those years as 'The Man' and only 2 majors. smh

OVERrated big time. All those years as 'The Man' and only 2 majors. smh

That's why I say he's more an underachiever. Two majors, 20 PGA tour wins, and 6+ years at world number 1. That makes it hard for me to say he is a qualifier for the most overrated golfer. He clearly proved he was pretty damn good and a hall of famer player. But if you look at his shortcomings, he could have been one of the greats.

If he was as good as he was hyped up to be he'd have way more than 2 majors. 20 Top 5's..... TWENTY, and he only closed out 2. smh
In my opinion, your scope is too narrow. But to each their own.

How about Johnny Miller? I know that he won two majors, but the hype that he had never translated into the expected results.
In his prime, he'd be on fire early in the year and everyone expected this to be HIS YEAR. Then he'd fade before the Masters.

At this point it's Rickie unfortunately. The man is a great dude by all accounts, and really smart with his personal branding and persona - but good grief man it's time to win some big Tournaments.

There's more to being great than winning majors, in fact there's more to being great than just winning tournaments.

Golf is not like tennis where if you're the best you have an overwhelming chance of winning (think peak Federer, Serena). In this day and age you are truly an elite player if you manage to win 10 percent of your starts. Naturally, you're going to have long stretches where you don't win anything.

Last edited:
There's more to being great than winning majors, in fact there's more to being great than just winning tournaments.

Golf is not like tennis where if you're the best you have an overwhelming chance of winning (think peak Federer, Serena). In this day and age you are truly an elite player if you manage to win 10 percent of your starts. Naturally, you're going to on long stretches where you don't win anything.
Your tennis comparison made me wonder. Are there any golfers who could compare to Nadal’s clay dominance? Where they were dominant on a particular course or course setup, but couldn’t translate this into wider overall success? (Although Nadal has clearly transcended clay and achieved success across the sport.

Your tennis comparison made me wonder. Are there any golfers who could compare to Nadal’s clay dominance? Where they were dominant on a particular course or course setup, but couldn’t translate this into wider overall success? (Although Nadal has clearly transcended clay and achieved success across the sport.

I highly doubt it. I can't think of a golfer thats ever won twelve times on the same course, let alone going 12 for 15, like Nadal has at Roland-Garros since 2005. Golf simply has a lot more randomness than Tennis.

Jason Day

Goven the amount of money raked in Vs. wins...my guess is Rickie.

As a golfer Chi Chi Rodriguez. 8 PGA Tour wins and in the golf hall of fame. A great entertainer not a hall of fame golfer.

The Koepka calls boggle my mind. Dude has 4 MAJORS and gets snubbed at press conferences for majors in which he is the defending champion. So what if he doesn't get excited for non-majors. History regards major winners in much higher regard than winners of the John Deere Classic.

We may have been on the brink of that early in Tiger's career when Augusta National and a few other courses set out to "Tiger-proof" their courses.

David Duval.

My pick is Greg Norman; 20 PGA Tour wins and only 2 majors. He spent over 6 years total (330 something weeks) as the World #1; seems like he should have won more majors with that long period of being on the top. No green jackets, no US Open trophies. I remember him more for losing than i do for being #1 ranked & winning.

But Greg was sort of like Phil ... always going for the dramatic big shot.

overrated, no.
underachiever, in some ways, yes.
Can't we make the same argument for Fowler?

In a class full of excellent golfers, he's got more than a handful of wins including a Players.
He's also got runner ups in 3 of the 4 majors with a 3rd at the PGA.. Representative of a lot of things, but one of them being a solid player.
Nearly 40 million in career earnings over 12 years...

I respect that. Maybe not matching some of the ridiculous hype early on, but certainly presenting himself as a viable player who can win any tournament he starts in.

David Duval.

But Duval got to #1 and then said, "Is this it?"

Then he got married, spent time with the kids, and his heart was never in it again - so not overrated. Just fell off the face of the earth

Kuchar -

20 years - 9 PGA wins, no majors.

But everyone likes him as the silent assassin - really?

Like him, good guy ... flies under the radar

Probably not most overrated ... but certainly hasn't done as much...

Wish him well.

Fowler - will give him a pass for 5 more years.

Back