I played drums professionally (I got paid for it anyway) from the time I was 17 til about 40. I never was good enough to make a living at it though. Classic rock, country, swing dance, dixieland. Nothing really heavy. I wasn't formally trained and didn't have a very deep skill set but I enjoyed it for the most part. Gave it up about 10 years ago. In the 90's I discovered sequencing keyboards and bought an Ensoniq KS32 and started trying to figure out how to compose music. I wrote a couple dozen or so pieces before that keyboard eventually died and left me unable to further edit any of my music. So I kind of drifted away from music all together. A couple of months ago I saw an old KS32 for sale and decided to buy it and re-edit some of the old tunes that I had saved in Sysex format. Not really songs as much as musical sketches of a few measures. Below are a few of them. I don't do vocals (at least not publicly) so these are just instrumental tunes... with a very retro 90's synth feel. :)

The first one was my attempt at a golf theme.

http://yourlisten.com/Brad.Morris_959/the-masters

The rest are just different musical experiments.

http://yourlisten.com/Brad.Morris_959/strollin
http://yourlisten.com/Brad.Morris_959/groovy
http://yourlisten.com/Brad.Morris_959/a-minor-drive
http://yourlisten.com/Brad.Morris_959/snow-song

If I could find a gig where all I did was show up and play, I'd probably get back into drumming. Not too many gigs like that though. :D

Last edited:
I want to play in a band again. I love sitting around noodling as much as the next guy, but it's just not the same.

I want to play in a band again. I love sitting around noodling as much as the next guy, but it's just not the same.

You're right. It's not even close. Nothing like playing in a tight band that's really working together. Even after doing it for many years, there were those nights or grooves that would send chills up my spine when it clicked.

You're right. It's not even close. Nothing like playing in a tight band that's really working together. Even after doing it for many years, there were those nights or grooves that would send chills up my spine when it clicked.

I know exactly what you mean. Both from sitting in a large wind ensemble setting, and in a 4 or 5 piece in a bar. Venue almost doesn't matter. Hell it could be in a garage haha

I know exactly what you mean. Both from sitting in a large wind ensemble setting, and in a 4 or 5 piece in a bar. Venue almost doesn't matter. Hell it could be in a garage haha

For sure man. And everybody gets that little smile on their faces and kinda glances at each other like, holy crap this is good. Makes up for those nights when you want to crawl off the stage. That's why I played drums. I could just lower my seat (ahem, throne) turn my cymbals vertical and hide on the bad nights. They were good times! Can't see ever getting back into it though. Still, I do enjoy a good live band. Lots of incredibly talented people out there that you will never hear of.

Couldn't have said it better. There is NOTHING like it. Been playing guitar for 25 years now and there is nothing better than feeling the groove fall into place and making music with other musicians.

Closest analogy I can draw is this: it's almost like surfing. There's a moment when paddling into a wave where you're giving it all you have paddling and then the wave picks you up and carries you... and it's amazing, and a little scary because you're not in control and the ocean can break you if it wants to...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Musicians???

I've been thinking about buying a historic 1959 les Paul reissue from the custom shop...the new things Gibson USA has come out with is turning me off from them, it seems like the best way to get a real Gibson is to go to the custom shop, the new "traditionals" have this ugly robot tuner, and this horrendous les Paul logo

I like old school les Pauls

One of my sound techs built this isolation cabinet box for recording and to reduce stage volume when necessary. We tested the amount of sound reduction and clocked it 40 decibels in difference.

KNt5IJI.jpg

I want one for my house but not as big, this one can fit a small 4x12 and decent size 2x12

I played guitar in a ska band in the early 80s (just local stuff). We are now making our comeback playing what we call "Americana." Kind of a mix of country and rock. I am now playing bass and love it. I play guitar and piano but really wanted to learn drums and the bass is the closest thing I know to drums that is similar to what I already know.

Musicians???

s1UI5Pz.jpg

xDWJZRJ.jpg

Im going to change all the plastics on my old les Paul studio from black to creme, there's just something about that vintage creme that I love.

I will also get those gold top hats with inserts

qKnbMbn.jpg

I played bass up until a year or two ago. I used to play a lot of 50s and 60s rock and some of the less busy Motown stuff. I also loved playing Cream songs, especially Crossroads.

A pal was putting together a group so I gave him my tired old Ibanez GSR and Alesis combo amp.

I did keep my custom made Big Muff Pi pedal I built since I etched the circuit board and everything. It really clips the mids and lows.

Satchmo: I'd be trying to play that girl with white cotton gloves. It's just too sexy. :act-up:

Last edited:
So it's been a couple of months but here she is with her new clothes.

I prefer this over the black, it gives a vintage look to me

Before

yEfDnvf.jpg

After

RiutQCm.jpg

It reminds me of an old dark burst from the 50s, that's what I was going for

I also changed all my plastics on the other les Paul on the historic spec stuff from the 50s next is an abr1 bridge

YhiWtPX.jpg

10LCDdy.jpg

The 50s style rings are a bit higher than the modern rings, also I am getting my proper pickguard in on Monday.

I played guitar in a ska band in the early 80s (just local stuff). We are now making our comeback playing what we call "Americana." Kind of a mix of country and rock. I am now playing bass and love it. I play guitar and piano but really wanted to learn drums and the bass is the closest thing I know to drums that is similar to what I already know.

The "Americana" music scene here in the Texas Hill Country (basically between San Antonio and Austin) is thriving!

Both look great, Satchmo.

Thanks bro!

I'm very happy.

I went ahead and got an ABR-1 bridge and lightweight aluminum bridge from creamtone which sells vintage correct parts for Les Paul's as well as nickel Grover tunes

H1Pzlzg.jpg

oq3xwrp.jpg

I prefer the ABR-1 to the Nashville, and creamtone sells conversion posts for non historic Les Pauls. Once the grovers are in, my trusted guitar tech and luthier will be installing everything. He always does the best.

The "Americana" music scene here in the Texas Hill Country (basically between San Antonio and Austin) is thriving!

We had a slide guitarist sit in a couple of weeks ago. That was pretty cool. Now if we can only find someone who plays the banjo...

So this guy is coming home with me this week! It's the new Orange rockerverb 50 MKIII! My friend who owns a local music store always gives the best deals! From what I understood, the 50 watt head isn't even available in some stores yet

9tyirRS.jpg

I will run it with a 1x12 for now but will eventually get another 1x12 or a 2x12

^^^ niiiiiiiice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is darn sweet Satch! So Jealous. I'd love to get an orange eventually. Reminds me I need to get my little amp fixed. Gotta find someone close to where i live now that will work on it. It pisses me off it's not working :(

Musicians???

I'm really happy with my oranges so far, they sound more vintage British than many modern marshals!

This one is nice because it has a really great clean channel, and also has a built in attenuator and spring reverb. The attenuator is awesome because I can practice at low levels and still have the same response. Also I can run it at 50 watts and half power

I'm really happy to have a real British orange now!

Oh I also finished my les Paul. I got aged top hats that are period correct and they are amazing

i3dFqkZ.jpg

RF7kxcn.jpg

I'm a huge fan of this small company called creamtone, they make better plastics than Gibson custom shop does. They also make them historically correct. Everything on there including the ABR-1 bridge and aluminum tailpiece is from them.

ADOZLsl.jpg

0xhBeMl.jpg

I've been playing guitar for 25 years. Had dreams of going pro, but I became a Podiatrist instead lol.

Now I have a 2000 3 tone sunburst American Standard Strat with DiMarzio pups, an EBMM JP6, and a Taylor Acoustic Electric. I run my electrics through an Axe Fx II and a 1x12 Active Xitone FRFR Wedge and record through the unit into Garageband on a MBP. All digital, all the time.

hey hackers, I've been playing bass for about 10 years. recently picked it up again and playing with a few friends. I bought a 60th anniversary Fender 4 string about a year ago but the pups are way too soft for my liking. Should I keep the guitar as is or upgrade the pups? I doubht these 60ths will ever be "worth" more than a good guitar would be so I'm not worried about keeping it original. or should I be?

Beautiful guitars Satchmo!!

I wish I liked Les Pauls because they look so cool.

Back