Loved hearing drumming down in the basement and realizing it is my 14 year old attempting to play YYZ

brought out my guitar for the first time in months. realized i had no guitar picks (honestly where do those things disappear to?) so I just HAD to head down to guitar center and get a few more. While I was there I found myself in the acoustic guitar room, where I found a Taylor that looked awful lonely... Sat and played it for a while and left with a bunch of different picks.

Im not in love with my Fender acoustic. It's not very forgiving and slight imperfect finger placement really shows. But I can never get rid of it since it has been autographed by all members of Nickel Creek.

One of these days ill spring the cash for a Larrivee. But I cannot justify the cost for something I seldom use.

I have a Larrivee JV-05 and enjoy playing it. I wish I would have kept my Taylor 816ltd but at the time, I needed the money (poor college kid) and that guitar was worth more than everything else i owned combined, car included!

It's finally here:

Do1JG9-W4AIfez7.jpg

And it's freaking awesome. My PRS Tremonti guitar into my PRS Tremonti MT-15 amp and I still can't play Tremonti. LOL But the damn thing sounds incredible. I've finally found the tone I've been looking for. It's says 15 watts but it's closer to 50. I've got a 12 watt Marshall that can't touch this thing. It's freaking Christmas.

It's finally here:

And it's freaking awesome. My PRS Tremonti guitar into my PRS Tremonti MT-15 amp and I still can't play Tremonti. LOL But the damn thing sounds incredible. I've finally found the tone I've been looking for. It's says 15 watts but it's closer to 50. I've got a 12 watt Marshall that can't touch this thing. It's freaking Christmas.

Dude!!! Love the look of that thing.

Tube watts are always deceptively louder than they should be. My Carvin V3MC switched to 7 watt mode is entirely too loud for my studio.

I have a Larrivee JV-05 and enjoy playing it. I wish I would have kept my Taylor 816ltd but at the time, I needed the money (poor college kid) and that guitar was worth more than everything else i owned combined, car included!

I love my Larrivee L-05 Mahogany. I really have never played anything that I liked significantly better.

Was taking piano lessons and progressing nicely until I injured the fingers on my left hand. That kinda put the kibosh on my piano playing.

This sucks as I'm already having MT-15 issues. For those that have been following the play-by-play I ordered mine in July and just received it this past Saturday (10-6). I played it for about 90 minutes on Saturday, not at all on Sunday and 3ish hours on Monday. I went to play it yesterday and zip, nadda, zilch. All I got was hum and barely registering any guitar at all. I thought maybe I plugged something in wrong or there was a mismatch on something. Over the weekend I played through two different speaker configs. 1st was a 16 ohm Marshall 1x10. Sounded great but had a lot of hum. This was plugged it into the dedicated 16 Ohm jack. 2nd I played through a Crate 2x12 at 8 ohms. Each speaker was plugged into the respective 8 ohm jack. Sounded good but even more hum. I thought maybe I had too much gain. So I turned it down and killed all my distortion, same issue. So I checked my rig through my Marshall and then my Crate combo and everything was fine. I got the typical hi gain hum but still sounded normal. I baby the crap out of my equipment. It's always in a humidity regulated area and well taken care of. So no abuse on my part. If any of you gurus notice anything wrong with my methodology in testing please let me know. I'm new to the whole tube amp thing but try to be very careful and follow instructions explicitly. This is my 1st all tube amp and want to make sure I did everything right.

Check your tubes. Make sure they are all seated completely in the tube sockets. Check to make sure none of them are dead (no glow) or dying (extra bright glow). Tubes are fragile, and it's entirely possible that one or more of them were damaged during shipping. This happened to a friend of mine who bought a Carvin tube amp several years ago. They sent him a new set of tubes, and all was well.

Certainly not a "guru," but spent a decade building and testing Ampeg and Crate tube amps at St. Louis Music when they were still here. Always check the easy stuff first. Check all cables and connections as well.

Check your tubes. Make sure they are all seated completely in the tube sockets. Check to make sure none of them are dead (no glow) or dying (extra bright glow). Tubes are fragile, and it's entirely possible that one or more of them were damaged during shipping. This happened to a friend of mine who bought a Carvin tube amp several years ago. They sent him a new set of tubes, and all was well.

Certainly not a "guru," but spent a decade building and testing Ampeg and Crate tube amps at St. Louis Music when they were still here. Always check the easy stuff first. Check all cables and connections as well.

I talked to Sweetwater and they're going to help me out with some troubleshooting. I will say that PRS definitely packed this thing very well. I'm going to definitely check the tubes when I get home. They're not glowing obnoxiously bright and they all come on for both the preamp and power sections. The power tubes are big 6L6's. I believe the preamp ones are 12AX7's. I will say for the small amount of time it did work, holy hell it was like Heaven in a box. Now I'll ask the stupid newb question, can these go out of bias just from shipping? Like I said newb question. If this was a piece of IT equipment I would have been ass deep in it already. What's funny is I plugged the exact rig into my Crate and it fired right up with no issues. Same with my Marshall mini stack.

And thanks PJS for the insight. There's nothing wrong with Crate stuff. I've owned a couple (still have one) and have some friends that had the Voodoo line of amps. Not bad stuff at all.

OK guys just a quick update on the PRS MT-15. After talking with Sweetwater, the amp is just bad. They seem to think the entire pre-amp section is not engaging. They also said since it was only 5 days old they would replace it and pay shipping all the way around. Now that's customer service. The bad news is, since it's so popular it's on back order again. So I've waited this long, I can wait a few more weeks for the next one.

It's hard to not like Sweetwater. Probably the best CS in the industry. Glad they're treating you well.

It's hard to not like Sweetwater. Probably the best CS in the industry. Glad they're treating you well.

Definitely. Unless I need something yesterday I just order from them and normally get it next day since I live so close. I also try to frequent the few mom and pop shops left around town when I can.

Spent some time with the new Mesa Fillmore 50 today and it is a fine, fine amplification device

Picked up a like-new Boss GE-7 EQ pedal yesterday from a FB posting. I've been chasing that Akira Takasaki in-your-face tone for some time now. My Carvin V3M combo just wasn't getting me there. Not enough mids focus. Hooked this thing up between guitar and amp last night, boosted the 800hz all the way, and the 400 and 1.6 about halfway (everything else stayed flat), tweaked the channel EQ on the amp a bit, and had that screaming tone in about 5 minutes. :banana: Totally digging my guitar rig once again. Best $50 I've spent in a long time.

Those are great. That’s all Slash used for a long time for a solo / mid boost.

I’m amp shopping at the moment.

Yeah, most guitar players I've known have used one as a solo mid-boost. That's what made me think about it.

I've been thinking lately of going the Helix route. I like the idea of having both guitar and bass rigs in one small box, and everyone seems to rave about them. Good luck with your search. Playing a bunch of different stuff is half the fun.

I have a Fractal AX8 and have had a ton of modelers...they are great tools for going direct but man I prefer real amps pushing air.

I’m toying with Bogner, Friedman, etc...

amateur guitar player..... I try but not very good

I've been playing guitar badly for almost 20 years. Sucking at guitar is fun.

I played an archback Guild the other day, and now I'm hooked. Really interesting bass response. I'm in ponder mode.

I have a Fractal AX8 and have had a ton of modelers...they are great tools for going direct but man I prefer real amps pushing air.

I’m toying with Bogner, Friedman, etc...

How about a Hughes & Kettner GrandMeister Deluxe 40? I've talked to a few guys with those and love them. Just throwing it out there.
I was thinking of one of those but the tag was a little steep and I didn't need anything quite that big. The PRS is more than enough for
what I want to do.

How about a Hughes & Kettner GrandMeister Deluxe 40? I've talked to a few guys with those and love them. Just throwing it out there.
I was thinking of one of those but the tag was a little steep and I didn't need anything quite that big. The PRS is more than enough for
what I want to do.

I’ve never really bonded with H&K stuff to be honest with you. They have some really great options on paper, just never gelled with them.

Man, I haven't been in this thread in forever. I got some catching up to do.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I just dusted off and restrung my two guitars.

Any recommendations for an overdrive pedal for a telecaster?

Amp is a 15 watt Fender Blues Jr.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I just dusted off and restrung my two guitars.

Any recommendations for an overdrive pedal for a telecaster?

Amp is a 15 watt Fender Blues Jr.

Cant go wrong with a TS9. I'm a huge fan of the fulltone as well (Joyo makes an awesome knockoff of this one)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Cant go wrong with a TS9. I'm a huge fan of the fulltone as well (Joyo makes an awesome knockoff of this one)

Thanks.

Just watched a You Tube video comparing the TS9 to rhe Fulltone.

They both sound great.

But I think the TS9 may come home with me tomorrow.

Good choice. If it's good enough for SRV, it's good enough for every guitarist out there.
Thanks.

Just watched a You Tube video comparing the TS9 to rhe Fulltone.

They both sound great.

But I think the TS9 may come home with me tomorrow.

Back