Nasty hook with the 3 wood

Howzat

I'd Rather Be At The Hideaway
Reaction score
I am feeling pretty good about my game but for a big hook that I have developed with the 3 wood. I am hitting the driver nice and straight and have a baby draw that I am happy with using the hybrids and irons. The 3 Wood from the deck is another story. A big nasty hook. If I open the stance to play a cut shot I will get a nice little fade as I would expect. I cannot seem to hit the 3 wood straight or even get a playable draw out of it. Any thoughts on what the cause could be or where to start looking? Thanks.

First look at the basics. Check the ball position and your grip. Make sure those are both correct. Assuming they are we need to start looking at how hard you are releasing when you go down after the 3 wood in the fairway. My gut tells me you are coming down into the back of it and the club is exiting the hitting zone to quickly to the left (right handed players). Next time out at the range try using a secondary target to get a more forgiving hitting zone.

To do this place a tee in the ground 4-5 inches in front of the ball you are hitting. When you swing down swing through the ball and try to get the club head out over the tee in front of the ball. This will get the club traveling more down range and get you a more forgiving hitting zone. Let me know how things go out there.

Thanks for the info. I will give this a try the next time out.

Not much improvement over the last week or so. A few rounds in with no range sessions. I have tried opening the face. If I open it up a little there is still a decent size hook. If I really open it up I can get a slight fade. I should be able to hit the range sometime this week and will try the suggestion of putting the tee out in front of the ball to see when the club is exiting the hitting zone.

Is the face closed ?

I now tap while I talk

Hooks can occur if you don't get your shoulder behind the ball in your back swing. You may also look to see if you are releasing your hips through the impact zone. If you are all upper body you will also hit hooks. Check these to things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the face closed ?

I thought that was the issue but today I concentrated to open it and got similar results unless I exaggerated it way open and got a slight fade.

Hooks can occur if you don't get your shoulder behind the ball in your back swing. You may also look to see if you are releasing your hips through the impact zone. If you are all upper body you will also hit hooks. Check these to things.

I will look at this a little closer. I am happy with the way a hitting the rest of the clubs in the bag so I wonder why I would have such a pronounced hook with this club and my usual baby draw with the rest. Maybe I am trying to hit this club harder than the rest leading to some swing flaws?

Whenever I hit a nasty hook which isn't too often I always know that the problem is that I'm not shifting my weight properly to the front foot. Correcting that always corrects the nasty hook for me.

Howzat, if it is the only club that does that nasty hook it could possibly be too much flexibility in the shaft on the 3 wood, have it checked out against the other clubs and you may only need a shaft change to be hitting bombs with the 3 woood too. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Howzat, if it is the only club that does that nast hook it could possibly be too much flexibility in the shaft on the 3 wood, have it checked out against the other clubs and you may only need a shaft change to be hitting bombs with the 3 woood too. Just a thought.

What is the best way to check the shaft? I am playing the stock Fubuki stiff shaft in my woods and hybrids.

Dangit- forgot to check where this post was before replying.

Ask the pro section= do not reply! Hah sorry- it popped up in my new post link.

Last edited:

Andy replied in the 2nd post of the thread, I thought it was ok to give input after he has answered, am I wrong again?

What is the best way to check the shaft? I am playing the stock Fubuki stiff shaft in my woods and hybrids.

Have it checked out by a club builder or repair person.

Please add your input. Andy did reply and I am looking for anything that may help me fix the issue.

When you say "hook" does your ball start out straight down the line and then turn left or does it start left and go more left?

When you say "hook" does your ball start out straight down the line and then turn left or does it start left and go more left?

It starts on my target line for the first 75-100 yards and then seems to hook left and keep going left.

It starts on my target line for the first 75-100 yards and then seems to hook left and keep going left.

Well that makes it sound like your club face is square at impact, which means your problem is likely a too inside-outside swing path. I would think Andy's tee in front drill would work. :confused2:

Only needed the 3 wood once today and smacked it nice and straight. We will see how it goes but for right now we got things back on track. I put the ball a little farther back in the stance and all seems right with the world.

Back