NBC to shutdown the NBC Sports Network by end of 2021

MattyD-MPLS

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
NBC to shutdown the NBC Sports Network by end of 2021. I have no idea what is going on at NBC but it isn’t good. Are they going to fold Golf too? Geez!

That’s a bummer. There was a lot of NASCAR on that channel. Wonder where that is going to go now.

NBC to shutdown the NBC Sports Network by end of 2021. I have no idea what is going on at NBC but it isn’t good. Are they going to fold Golf too? Geez!
Good lord. Hopefully they roll it in to Peacock or something otherwise that's a lot of sports programming gone.

That’s a bummer. There was a lot of NASCAR on that channel. Wonder where that is going to go now.
A lot of EPL and other motor sports also. Only guess is Peacock puts it all behind a paywall.

I only watch NHL on the channel but know premiere league and NASCAR mean a lot.

A lot of EPL and other motor sports also. Only guess is Peacock puts it all behind a paywall.
If there is anything I know about NASCAR fans, it’s their general computer proficiency and strident desire for entertainment subscription services lol.

If there is anything I know about NASCAR fans, it’s their general computer proficiency and strident desire for entertainment subscription services lol.
Hahaha. Then NBC knows who they have by the short hairs and will do anything to keep watching.

I am eager to see Sports evolve from a consumption standpoint. There has to be something better than being forced to own cable.

Any change right now gives me hope that it'll get better for the cord cutters.

Apps & subscriptions.......it’s coming & actually already here.

I’m pretty thick but that is good Mr Dill (Large) -that hurt to even think.

That’s kinda odd because here in Philly the NBC app is the only way to watch Sixers, Flyers, and Phillies games online.

Update: looks like the regional NBC Sports locals will not be affected. NBC Philadelphia being one of them. Damn, I was really hoping I could get the local sports without having to use the app.

Last edited:
I am eager to see Sports evolve from a consumption standpoint. There has to be something better than being forced to own cable.

It’s really easy. It’s called “don’t buy cable”

I bought a month of HULU Live so I could watch the buckeye and the browns get their asses whipped.

I’m used to it but it cost me $65.00 for the month and I get basically everything. I could have dinked around and got it free. I’d rather just pay as I don’t want to juggle around all that’s involved with that. It’s not worth $65.00

Just curious to those that are cord cutters, if you have subscriptions to Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, and others, don’t you just have an app called cable? 😂

I think I saw a comedy skit on that.

Free TV became Cable, cord cutters went to Netflix, soon we all will have subscriptions to multiple streams and combine them into cable. 😂

Just curious to those that are cord cutters, if you have subscriptions to Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, and others, don’t you just have an app called cable? 😂

I think I saw a comedy skit on that.

Free TV became Cable, cord cutters went to Netflix, soon we all will have subscriptions to multiple streams and combine them into cable. 😂
Yep, when it comes to the point that I need multiple subscriptions just to watch sports, I'll quit watching sports entirely. There's nothing else on TV I can't live without. The only reason I have an enhanced cable (satellite, actually) package right now is for Golf Channel, so if golf goes behind a paywall I'll just cut back to the most basic package so my wife can still watch her shows and I'll quit watching TV entirely.

It's bad enough right now that to watch some golf tournaments I have to go through part of it on Peacock, part of it on Locast, and then part of it on network TV or Golf Channel. Ridiculous to have to do all those gymnastics just to watch a round of golf.

It’s really easy. It’s called “don’t buy cable”

I bought a month of HULU Live so I could watch the buckeye and the browns get their asses whipped.

I’m used to it but it cost me $65.00 for the month and I get basically everything. I could have dinked around and got it free. I’d rather just pay as I don’t want to juggle around all that’s involved with that. It’s not worth $65.00

You pay more than I do for cable

Yep, when it comes to the point that I need multiple subscriptions just to watch sports, I'll quit watching sports entirely. There's nothing else on TV I can't live without. The only reason I have an enhanced cable (satellite, actually) package right now is for Golf Channel, so if golf goes behind a paywall I'll just cut back to the most basic package so my wife can still watch her shows and I'll quit watching TV entirely.

It's bad enough right now that to watch some golf tournaments I have to go through part of it on Peacock, part of it on Locast, and then part of it on network TV or Golf Channel. Ridiculous to have to do all those gymnastics just to watch a round of golf.
This is what people thought they wanted. “Why am I paying for these 200 channels when I only watch 15” is basically the gist of the argument against cable for the last decade.

Noe they are exactly that and people are finding out how bad the pricing is that way.

Gotta wonder what that means for The Golf Channel🤷🏼‍♂️

all i know is we have 3 subscriptions (hulu+, netflix and HBO Max) and we aren't saving very much.

What the hell??? Why would they do that?! That pretty makes up my decision, as it’s one of the 3 or 4 channels I watch, as soon as it’s gone, so is my cable subscription.

Be careful what you wish for.

Maybe. Maybe not. Sports is one of the two most expensive programming sources for cable and satellite TV services. They reduce consumer subscription costs for sports channels by subsidizing them with their income from package subscription fees and other premium packages. If sports channels were à la carte they might be a lot more expensive than they are currently.

I listened to an interview on NPR a few years back, when cord-cutting was just getting started, where an ESPN representative asserted that if they had to sell their channels à la carte they'd have to charge up to $45/mo. (I expect he was probably exaggerating some.)

Easy: We don't have multiple expensive subscriptions. Just like we never had cable. Our total TV-watching bill comes to less than $50/mo.

It also helps neither of us have the least bit of interest in sports, other than my interest in golf.

Last edited:
Yep apps and subscriptions and we love it.
$5 for ESPN
$5 for big ten
Netflix and Hulu
We get some other sports stuff within the 2 listed above.
I think I’m at about $40?
200-40=160 savings, equals, cord cutter here!
I don’t even know how cable exists anymore and hell I’m in the middle of bum f Egypt....

the Golf network and Olympic network are good. I think is just NBC consolidating there sports. I honestly think they my not renewing the NHL tv rights next year. Could the NHL sign a TV deal with ESPN and do a streaming deal with Amazon and be the first sport to go with a streaming service.

I hope they don’t move Golf Channel to Peacock as we can’t even get it up here in Canada. I would hate to see golf channel go away, it is on 75% of the time in the family room.

^^THIS^^
We had HULU for the last year and a half, added NBC Sports to get early golf, we also have the Prime with Amazon, so then she wanted DIsney+
used to be easy to watch Thursday and Friday rounds on Golf Channel the network on the weekends....not so much now
Then she had to have Starz because of a coupe of shows....

This last week we dropped all the channels except for now, Youtube TV, Discovery+ and one other....tired of them all going to subscription....I could do without them all and only watch youtube...i mean, i get THP there

This last week we dropped all the channels except for now, Youtube TV, Discovery+ and one other....tired of them all going to subscription....I could do without them all and only watch youtube...i mean, i get THP there
Yup. When Disney pulled its deal with Netflix and fired-up its own streaming channel we said "Oh well. Guess we won't be seeing any more Disney content." ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@fuffle master is correct: People addicted to watching TV, be it Hollyweird, sports, the reality TV entertainment billed as "news", or whatever, will end-up with about the same monthly charges they did with cable or satellite TV if they chase all the separate streaming offerings.

Back