NCAA in major trouble...

Arizona
Auburn
OK State
USC

All 4 schools should get the death penalty.

Arizona
Auburn
OK State
USC

Should, but I doubt they will. I mean hell, how did Miami get out of their situation with Shapiro..

Arizona
Auburn
OK State
USC

i've only read a little about it. has there been any proof of a systemic lack of control? all i've seen are assistant coaches involved.

but hell, if neither baylor nor penn state received death penalties, we won't see anything happen of consequence here. i realize i'm comparing football to basketball, but there's big(ish) money in both so i think it's a fair comparison.

Thanks to television contracts that require conferences to provide networks content the death penalty doesn't functionally exist any longer.

i've only read a little about it. has there been any proof of a systemic lack of control? all i've seen are assistant coaches involved.

but hell, if neither baylor nor penn state received death penalties, we won't see anything happen of consequence here. i realize i'm comparing football to basketball, but there's big(ish) money in both so i think it's a fair comparison.

Doesn't make it right of course. I equate that to crimes vs game issues like we saw with Brady getting more severe penalty than the guy that gets arrested. If the influence changes the landscape of the sport, I believe the teams should be punished in the most severe way.
FWIW, I believe that is hog wash, but understand the argument.

Probably add Louisville to the list where the punishment should be pretty high - given the program is already on probation for a different matter.

I heard Louisville was likely going to be added also.

Louisville is in BIG trouble. They deserve it as Petino has always been a dirty coach. This is going to be huge for college sports.

I guess I should start by stating the obvious - this is wrong and it is bad. But is anyone really surprised? The AAU circuit is filthy. Variations of this have been going on for quite some time.

BTW, there's one member of the forum in particular I'd love to hear from on this but he probably can't safely do so.

As an Auburn fan, this is really really disappointing. I'm not shocked by the charges, but it really sucks that it was Person.

Kill the basketball program, I'm fine with it. But I don't see it happening. I haven't dug too deep, but the allegations are the coaches were paid to give the players to agents correct? Similar to what was happening at UNC football?

Once the first guys get arrested and the plea deals start, I think this is going to be very wide spread and a whole lot more schools are going to pay a very steep price.

As an Auburn fan, this is really really disappointing. I'm not shocked by the charges, but it really sucks that it was Person.

Kill the basketball program, I'm fine with it. But I don't see it happening. I haven't dug too deep, but the allegations are the coaches were paid to give the players to agents correct? Similar to what was happening at UNC football?

I think that with UNC it had more to do with "fake" classes to get better grades. It was with both basketball and football.

March Madness is gonna be pretty light this year program wise if I would venture a guess.

God dammit Wildcats.

Given UNC has not been punished after overwhelming evidence of "lack of institutional control." I imagine this will draw out for years, long after the indicted take their plea deals, serve time, the NCAA will still be debating the fate of the Universities penalty.

I really hope, some of the guys mentioned in the indictment tell their story, no way at that level the head coach does not know what is going on.

If this is really pushed by the authorities some serious things could go down.
This is rampant at that level of college basketball. I wish I could get into specifics but "I've seen some things". The flow chart from the press conference is the best way to explain what happens.
Shoe companies and runners want to represent these kids when they go pro. So they give these kids free gear, trips, and money. Then they get them onto their shoe sponsored aau teams. Then they will push them to a college that wears the brand they push. All with the understanding that when they get drafted they will sign with their company.
"it's a jungle out there"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course it's the assistant coaches. Maybe this will open a door wide open.

There will be tons of fall out from this one. Also quite a few surprises I bet.

Oh yay! Another great day to be an Auburn fan. Not.

That said, what infuriates me about this is where is Duke? UNC? Kentucky? Kansas? Alabama? Florida? You're telling me those programs weren't involved in the same things? Right...

That's no excuse and Auburn will deserve whatever punishment it gets, but there should be hundreds of other universities facing the same fate.

That said, what infuriates me about this is where is Duke? UNC? Kentucky? Kansas? Alabama? Florida? You're telling me those programs weren't involved in the same things? Right...

That's no excuse and Auburn will deserve whatever punishment it gets, but there should be hundreds of other universities facing the same fate.

I anticipate that once plea bargains begin being offered, the flood gates will open. That's my hope at least.

If this is really pushed by the authorities some serious things could go down.
This is rampant at that level of college basketball. I wish I could get into specifics but "I've seen some things". The flow chart from the press conference is the best way to explain what happens.
Shoe companies and runners want to represent these kids when they go pro. So they give these kids free gear, trips, and money. Then they get them onto their shoe sponsored aau teams. Then they will push them to a college that wears the brand they push. All with the understanding that when they get drafted they will sign with their company.
"it's a jungle out there"

Always thought it was curious the Ball boys were driving luxury vehicles and the family lives in a nice home when the dad and mom have modest (IIRRC) jobs.

Always thought it was curious the Ball boys were driving luxury vehicles and the family lives in a nice home when the dad and mom have modest (IIRRC) jobs.

It's pretty interesting for sure and you would think it would be a giant red flag. I have seen other high profile athletes with the same setup.

The biggest thing I've seen is that their are So many ways around the rules to get paid. Most have to do with aau teams and the sponsorships they get. Donations to non profits or churches are other ways.

All these elite athletes have a ton of people hanging around them that can influence a decision. So even if they haven't taken money, someone around them has (usually).

And you wonder what happens with the colleges real (in most cases) money maker (football)

Those are all Nike schools, right? This case was cracked open because they turned a financial advisor who was tied in with the Adidas people. Once they crack the Nike side, there will be a bunch of other schools on the list. Unless they see that the feds, unlike the NCAA, are inclined to do something about this and clean up their act accordingly.

Back