New Cobra KING Forged TEC Irons

My only advice having been there (MC), in the end, play what makes you the happiest, but it is a competition too! :p;)

Its definitely a good problem to have when deciding between free clubs!.. I think the most important thing I learned for my game is I hit lighter shafts better than project x 6.5. Ball speed and spin went up from something like c taper lite or steel fiber's 110

Super interesting to me to compete with my jpx-900 forged! At some ppoint I'm going to have to learn more about this one length, seems interesting and might be worth a try. Ball striking being one of my current challenges.

It’s oft not a super easy fix, fwiw. His were 4 weak and that design (790) is so low spin it didn’t change it a ton.

These are nooooooooooooooot like the 790. They’re way way way way better. Imo, these and the HMB are the top of the hollow body class, by a lot.
What’s the biggest difference with these and the 790s in your eyes

Overall a bad combo for me. I already launch high and have a steep land angle with lower spin. The p790's just exaggerated that. Also id get that freak hot spot flyer that would sail the green by 15 yards. On simulators there's times with a 6 iron id hit a high draw with sub 3500 spin and carry 210+.

Carry distances were not consistent with the 790's for me..... The Forged Tec reviews do seem very promising and have better spin tho. Ill definitely give them a chance! But if I were buying today they would not be my first choice

I actually played the P790s very successfully, so I am probably the wrong guy for comparisons. I like both sets. I like these more, because they do provide more spin and don’t seem to launch quite as high, although I have been working on my swing to get the launch down, so I am not sure whether it is the iron set or me.

One caution I would throw in is that the odd low spin shot on the launch monitor does not necessarily translate outside. I don’t know why, but the spin is higher outside and more consistent than what one sees with dry ball data.

I would tell anybody in the Morgan Cup to look at either these or the SpeedZone irons and I have played the cb/mb irons as well.

Yes!!! I was fit for these this afternoon :love::love:

That is cool @HarlettoScara
Did you also look at speedzone irons or did you go straight to these? Did you try one length? I am not sure when I will be able to hit them and am living vicariously through you ;)

I know you didn’t ask me, but I played the P790s and now have the Forged Tecs solidly in my bag. I might still have the P790s in the bag if I hadn’t gotten into the Morgan Cup last year. I was one who really liked them.

Both the P790s and my current Forged Tecs had/have my favorite shaft, the SteelFiber i95, so it truly is apples to apples. Here are the differences in my mind.

The P790s are a bit more compact and have less offset. The Forged Tecs have more size to them. Back in this thread I posted a photo of the Forged Tec and F9 7 irons. Although the Forged Tec doesn’t have the ”junk in the trunk,” the overall size is not that different.

The Forged Tecs have better launch and spin than the P790s, at least for me. Some feel that the Forged Tecs sound and feel better than the P790s, although I don’t remember a huge difference, but it now has been more than a year since I hit the P790s.

I like both a lot. However, if I were offered either one for free with the condition that I had to keep them in the bag for a year, I would choose the Forged Tecs. I have a soft spot in my heart for Cobra, but the Forged Tecs are giving me pretty much perfect numbers. Something about the setup fits me as well as anything I have ever tried.

Last edited:
I know you didn’t ask me, but I played the P790s and now have the Forged Tecs solidly in my bag. I might still have the P790s in the bag if I hadn’t gotten into the Morgan Cup last year. I was one who really liked them.

Both the P90s and my current Forged Tecs had/have my favorite shaft, the SteelFiber i95, so it truly is apples to apples. Here are the differences in my mind.

The P790s are a bit more compact and have less offset. The Forged Tecs have more size to them. Back in this thread I posted a photo of the Forged Tec and F9 7 irons. Although the Forged Tec doesn’t have the ”junk in the trunk,” the overall size is not that different.

The Forged Tecs have better launch and spin than the P790s, at least for me. Some feel that the Forged Tecs sound and feel better than the P790s, although I don’t remember a huge difference, but it now has been more than a year since I hit the P790s.

I like both a lot. However, if I were offered either one for free with the condition that I had to keep them in the bag for a year, I would choose the Forged Tecs. I have a soft spot in my heart for Cobra, but the Forged Tecs are giving me pretty much perfect numbers. Something about the setup fits me as well as anything I have ever tried.
With them having a little more offset, should a guy like me who tends to have active hands and hook the ball be concerned with these?

With them having a little more offset, should a guy like me who tends to have active hands and hook the ball be concerned with these?
*cough* offset doesn't cause hooks, setup does *cough*

:oops:

Spin and sound/feel.

I have NO issues into greens with these because in the long irons in particular where the flight is a little flatter than a scoring irons the spin is improved comparatively, which also means they'll be amply more playable for many.

Sound/Feel isn't remotely close. TEC's do it better than any hollow body set except maybe the HMB's.

Hard for me to say. It may be a thing where you have to try it for yourself. I know @Jman feels that these are easier to turn over than some irons. I ordered mine, one degree flat and I am not overdrawing them at all. My guess answer is no, you’d be fine.

*cough* offset doesn't cause hooks, setup does *cough*

:oops:

I agree, it's more in my head but a club with more offset just looks like it will go left when my miss is a pull hook.

Hard for me to say. It may be a thing where you have to try it for yourself. I know @Jman feels that these are easier to turn over than some irons. I ordered mine, one degree flat and I am not overdrawing them at all. My guess answer is no, you’d be fine.

This is one of my regrets when I got fit last year. My fitter didn't even offer to flatten the lie of the F9s. He just said that they were going too far left. For what it's worth, I love the FTB's and have played well with them but would have liked to see how a F9 set that was a couple degrees flat would perform for me.

That is cool @HarlettoScara
Did you also look at speedzone irons or did you go straight to these? Did you try one length? I am not sure when I will be able to hit them and am living vicariously through you ;)
I actually tried the SZ irons first, and while they were long they didn't feel as nice off the face. And this will surprise a lot of people, but I really didn't care for the look of them at all. I've not tried one length yet, but I was hitting these so well I'm not sure. Has been an interesting afternoon.

That's great to hear.
I had hoped these would be the ones based on initial looks, but was prepared to go with what worked and felt better. I got lucky I think ;)

I had hoped these would be the ones based on initial looks, but was prepared to go with what worked and felt better. I got lucky I think ;)

Now you can look at the drivers and the fairways.

I actually tried the SZ irons first, and while they were long they didn't feel as nice off the face. And this will surprise a lot of people, but I really didn't care for the look of them at all. I've not tried one length yet, but I was hitting these so well I'm not sure. Has been an interesting afternoon.

I didn't have any problem with the looks of the SZ irons. I really like them. The ball flight and trajectory were good for me. I'm going for my fitting next week.

Now you can look at the drivers and the fairways.

I did actually spend a little bit of time with them and got an initial fit. Most of the work was on irons, but I did get to hit each of the woods just to get a feel. That's what I'm going to concentrate on at the next fitting, really getting dialed in. Mind you, just on the couple of balls I did hit with the FW, they were rockets.

I didn't have any problem with the looks of the SZ irons. I really like them. The ball flight and trajectory were good for me. I'm going for my fitting next week.

That's what everyone else said, and I went expecting to love them, but for some reason they just didn't suit my eye at all. That's the joy of having options, something for everyone :)

Anybody compare these to the Epic Forged?

I have. I have hit both through the full set on TrackMan. I also have played both for multiple rounds on the course. What would you like to know?

I also believe that @JB and @Jman could weigh in.

Great to hear. Looking forward to getting to hit any of the Cobra clubs. I am thinking SZ for me and my handicap, but will see what it looks like with some numbers backing it up.

Great to hear. Looking forward to getting to hit any of the Cobra clubs. I am thinking SZ for me and my handicap, but will see what it looks like with some numbers backing it up.
To be honest I was much the same. Thought the Forged Tec looked really nice, but given my handicap thought they would be a bit too much club for them. Definitely try them, you may be surprised.

Mother of god.

CC736BC3-D95E-4B38-966B-8EE82255F84A.png

Hmm, interesting... one length too?

I have. I have hit both through the full set on TrackMan. I also have played both for multiple rounds on the course. What would you like to know?

I also believe that @JB and @Jman could weigh in.

How they look at address, length with comparable shafts, forgiveness those kind of things.

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How they look at address, length with comparable shafts, forgiveness those kind of things.

I have hit them with the Epic Forged shafted with Catalyst 100 6.0s and the Forged Tecs shafted with SteelFiber 95 stiffs, not apples to apples, but both low launch, low spin graphite-type shafts in a similar weight class. The Epic Forged are more compact heel to toe, but show more junk in the trunk from 7 iron and longer. However, they probably look more like a player's profile from the 8 iron down. They both feel great. The Cobras spin better and give me better dispersion. The Callaways are longer, but, surprisingly to me, having hit both on TrackMan, the Cobras are nipping at their heels. Honestly, I think both are comparable forgiveness-wise. If I needed to eek out every yard of distance, I would likely choose the Callaways. At the respective price points, it would be Cobra all day long. I truly think neither one would be better than the other in reducing my handicap.

Back