New England Members

First round of the year for me in NH this afternoon - sunny skies and breezy, walked 18 holes. Man its good to be back at it.

If we do a New England gathering this year, I would throw in a vote for The Ranch. It would be fun to play there again.

Course is Top 5 in MA for me

f**k no am I walking it - and I love to walk

Course is Top 5 in MA for me

**** no am I walking it - and I love to walk

Yeah, that one would be a fairly stiff hike :p Lots of "transfer sections" as we call them racing enduro.

I know I usually try to play early and it isn’t as much of an issue.

I played ARV Monday afternoon and the pace of play was good. We teed off at 3:30 and got around in right on 4 hours. There were carts available which I think helped.

Yeah, that one would be a fairly stiff hike :p Lots of "transfer sections" as we call them racing enduro.
speaking of which....damn brutal! no where near fun for me

Got in a couple of rounds last week at Granite Links. I walked on Thursday but decided one round was enough for me walking so I took a cart on Friday. Greens are a little furry early in the season its nice when the fescue hasn't grown in and you can find just about every ball.

Played Atlantic on Saturday and it was my first time there. We got rained on a little bit but overall was a great day as always with ArtM and The Dude. I liked the course, nice layout and not a bad walk.

Played Brookmeadow on Tuesday and didn't realize how long of a walk it was! To make matters worse I didn't bring any water and temps were in the 80's. I was ready to call it quits after hole 16 (was close to the parking lot) but then my friend magically pulled 2 waters from his bag after I told him I wasn't going to make it. Those waters hit the spot and energized me for the final 2 holes. It seems like it should be an easy course. Mosrtly just straight away holes you can see from the tee box and not a lot of trouble but I struggled. Course was in beautiful shape and im definitely going to head back to get my revenge (with liquid refreshments this time)!

I played Red Tail today. Course was in pretty good shape but the greens were a bit slow. Play on the back 9 was super slow took us 2:20 to play the back 9. Front 9 was about 2 hours. Thank god they had carts available not a walkable course. Overall I enjoyed it. We played the Gold tees as one of our group was playing his first round since having both his knees replaced. The course isn’t that tough at 6300 yards. I can see it being much tougher from the Silver or Blacks.

I played Red Tail today. Course was in pretty good shape but the greens were a bit slow. Play on the back 9 was super slow took us 2:20 to play the back 9. Front 9 was about 2 hours. Thank god they had carts available not a walkable course. Overall I enjoyed it. We played the Gold tees as one of our group was playing his first round since having both his knees replaced. The course isn’t that tough at 6300 yards. I can see it being much tougher from the Silver or Blacks.

I don't understand that slow pace, especially on the back nine. It's been my experience with the 15 minute tee times I never see the group behind, or the one in front. We play 9 in about 1:45 (4some). Yesterday we played 18 in a bit under 3.5 hours.

I don't understand that slow pace, especially on the back nine. It's been my experience with the 15 minute tee times I never see the group behind, or the one in front. We play 9 in about 1:45 (4some). Yesterday we played 18 in a bit under 3.5 hours.

I agree completely with you I am not sure what was going on. There was a foursome in front of us of poor golfers that had no idea how to play ready golf. We almost went around them on the 10th hole but there was a group just coming off the 10th green so there was no space. With 15 minute gaps in tee times pace of play should move but if everyone waits for one person to hit then moves as a group to the next shot pace is slow.

I think I've walked Red Tail once. Normally I'd ride since it's required on weekends, but it's not a bad walk at all. The only real issue is just getting to the first tee since it's so far away from the clubhouse. And also the walk from 9 to 10 for the same reason.

My course report is Butternut Farm, it's in really nice shape. Played Sunday morning at 7:30 am and got paired up with 2 older gentlemen. Round ended up being 4 1/2 hours which is way too long for that course as it's really compact. But I think these guys just couldn't walk any faster. It didn't really feel that slow and we weren't holding anyone up. Also they had a beverage cart out on the course which was a pleasant surprise.

My league is finally starting up this afternoon at Juniper Hill. They have also promised a beverage cart, crossing my fingers.

I think I've walked Red Tail once. Normally I'd ride since it's required on weekends, but it's not a bad walk at all. The only real issue is just getting to the first tee since it's so far away from the clubhouse. And also the walk from 9 to 10 for the same reason.

My course report is Butternut Farm, it's in really nice shape. Played Sunday morning at 7:30 am and got paired up with 2 older gentlemen. Round ended up being 4 1/2 hours which is way too long for that course as it's really compact. But I think these guys just couldn't walk any faster. It didn't really feel that slow and we weren't holding anyone up. Also they had a beverage cart out on the course which was a pleasant surprise.

My league is finally starting up this afternoon at Juniper Hill. They have also promised a beverage cart, crossing my fingers.

I just really don't like the course at Butternut. It is wet, tight and a bit contrived from my perspective. Agreed it shouldn't take 4.5 hours to walk as it is pretty tight.

I am definitely hoping for some time of New England gathering despite everything going on. In the meantime, anyone who wants to join up for a round is for sure welcome!

Agreed. I LOVE Red Tail but don't think I could ever walk it.

Played Waubeeka Golf Links in Williamstown, MA recently. What a gem of a course. I have never see such private course conditions on a public access course. It's just stunning and the Pro and owner are the nicest guys.

I played 36 today. First up was Far Corner at 7:30. It was my first time there and I am not sure I would make the drive back (I live a solid 50 minutes away.) The course is a little gimmicky. I was glad I took cart though as one of the nines we played was very hilly. Second round was as a guest at Worcester CC. If you get an invite cancel everything and go. What a great track and in spectacular condition. It was a great day to play 36.

I played 36 today. First up was Far Corner at 7:30. It was my first time there and I am not sure I would make the drive back (I live a solid 50 minutes away.) The course is a little gimmicky. I was glad I took cart though as one of the nines we played was very hilly. Second round was as a guest at Worcester CC. If you get an invite cancel everything and go. What a great track and in spectacular condition. It was a great day to play 36.

I believe the first Ryder Cup was played there, and both a men's and women's US Open's as well. Must be a very nice course.

I have a 4some for Scituate golf course if anyone wants it. It has to be used Mon -Fri. Let me know, i will send it out.

Well, it's not about "not playing" but rather that there are many other solutions that are miles better. I guess they just went with the cheapest possible solution.

Yep, with 15 minute tee times you really shouldn't ever see another group except maybe on a par 5. I did see an interesting phenomenon Sunday. We were right on pace, only saw the group in front of us once or twice and finished in under 4 hours. But the group behind us must have teed off early because they were right behind us all day. 4 guys, each in their own cart can really move so it can lead to groups bunching up because they actually will play well ahead of a 15 min/hole pace.
The issue I see at the course where I work is with the driving ranges being closed people are going out to “try to play golf” instead.

I overhear them, or I even ask and they act like trying to play golf is nothing. Then it’s 3 whiffs and one dead right 10 feet into the woods. You should see the clubs and bags that are dug out of basements and attics. I’ve never seen so many sets of old forged irons, wooden woods and Hot-Z bags in my life. Money is no object... everyone is not working. Those on unemployment get the extra $600/week so money is not an issue.

Some good news, RI is now allowing out of state golfers.

Played Waubeeka Golf Links in Williamstown, MA recently. What a gem of a course. I have never see such private course conditions on a public access course. It's just stunning and the Pro and owner are the nicest guys.

This sounds like a good tip - thanks! Checked out the course website its looks like a fun layout.

This sounds like a good tip - thanks! Checked out the course website its looks like a fun layout.

There's a lot of hyperbole in these reviews but I belong to a private club with immaculate conditioning and when I was at Waubeeka it felt like I was playing at home all day. Just amazing. Would love to hear what you think if you get a chance to play it.

More good news, looks like the driving range I usually go to is now open! My game definitely needs some quality practice time.

More good news, looks like the driving range I usually go to is now open! My game definitely needs some quality practice time.
Where is that? The one I generally go to is closed.

This driving range/practice facility thing is really getting to be a little silly. Massachusetts is the only state now without practice facilities open and there is no reason you can't social distance at a range.

Last edited:
Are all of your practice greens forced closed too? Why couldn't we divide the practice green into quadrants with one player at a time in each section and just plug flags with no hole?

It sucks that our first putt of the day goes on the card.

Are all of your practice greens forced closed too? Why couldn't we divide the practice green into quadrants with one player at a time in each section and just plug flags with no hole?

It sucks that our first putt of the day goes on the card.

Practice greens closed also. It is a little silly at this point.

Back