New HC Rule, following or not?

Ok Hcp cheating, sandbagging etc can't be done alone anymore....here are some creative tips to cheat with your playing partners watching (joke/lol)

I'm obeying the rule by relinquishing my handicap and not paying them my dues. I think this is asinine given the challenges golf faces.

Posting solo rounds, even though I don't play many.

As many THP events have used handicaps recently, what's THP's vote on how to follow the new rule?

Just played in the THP Kickoff Classic a few weeks ago and brought in a 5 - 6 index which was derived from probably 90% solo rounds. If anybody that played with me during those 3 rounds believes that index is artificially high or low, then I will stop posting solo rounds. Otherwise, I will consider that acceptance from my peers and will continue to post all rounds.

As many THP events have used handicaps recently, what's THP's vote on how to follow the new rule?

People who are going to cheat, are going to cheat regardless. This rule does nothing to change that. Just in typical USGA fashion, makes everything more convoluted.

This is the golf version of jury nullification

Yes they are, they flip-flopped. http://golfcanada.ca/news/article/amateur/golf-canadas-position-on-2016-handicap-system-changes/

As for the rule if I'm alone I will post score, I might be alone 2-3 times this year based on my past but ya never know
Wow, I had no idea.

Well, I'll be following the rules then and only posting accompanied rounds. I play local Tournaments and Mini-Tour events so I need a legit cap.
No doubt my Handicap Factor will go up as a result.

Wow, I had no idea.

Well, I'll be following the rules then and only posting accompanied rounds. I play local Tournaments and Mini-Tour events so I need a legit cap.
No doubt my Handicap Factor will go up as a result.

If it's any consolation you won't be alone when your up this way visiting the in-laws. We can now line up a THP foursome!

I think it's a well-intentioned, but ill-conceived way to try to do something to address the sandbagging problem, which golfers have complained about vociferously for many years. And, as previously stated, a stepping stone towards being allowed to only post tournament scores. That said, I think it creates more problems than it solves.

I'll be with the USGA's Senior Director of Rules and Amateur Status on Monday, and while he's not on the handicap side, I'm certainly going to ask him what he knows about the rationalization for the change.
Perhaps you could ask him why they think someone that lies about their scores would be honest about having played with another person.

I will follow it. I don't like it, but I will follow it.

Perhaps you could ask him why they think someone that lies about their scores would be honest about having played with another person.

Because they dont care about that person. This is all about the country club and MGA golfer and nothing more. Its awful, but becoming pretty par for the course on the USGA as of late.

Because they dont care about that person. This is all about the country club and MGA golfer and nothing more. Its awful, but becoming pretty par for the course on the USGA as of late.

And the dozen or so guys I've talked to at my country club are ignoring the solo posting ruling just like me. The USGA is out of touch with even the country club set. Sandbaggers will always find a way to sandbag. I could easily increase my index quickly by intentionally hitting bad shots or 3 putting a bunch of greens. I stopped caring about sandbaggers or participating in handicapped tournaments in about 1984. There are lots of dishonest people in the world and some are golfers.

I plan on posting all of my scores this year.

To my knowledge we have never been able to post single round scores here in the UK, and I have been playing since late 1972.

I can certainly see why they have brought this rule in. To cut down on the false scores that get posted, and yes there will always be a bunch of them. Both better and worse than the correct score. The USGA are simply trying to make the whole handicap system a level playing field for all, and they should be commended for actually standing up and doing something constructive.

The main problem is one of policing the rule, but in respect to policing rules in golf, there are many more that are virtually impossible to police. If a player is a cheater by nature, he/she will cheat no matter what rules are brought in. Fact of life, and all we can hope for is they get caught out.

What I would say to those of you who are hell bent on ignoring the rule and continuing to post single rounds, look at this from another angle. If you saw your playing partner blatently improving his lie in the rough or hazard, would you let it go knowing he has cheated. I think not and from that moment on you would always wonder whether that guy is always cheating to get the handicap he wants rather than the one he deserves.

Now you may be as trustworthy as the Pope (assuming he is), but if you are posting single round scores when you shouldn't be, some folks may quite legitimately wonder whether you are not as squeaky clean as you should be, otherwise why are you not abiding by such a simple rule.

I played with a guy from Florida last year who was on hols over here and he 'claimed' he was off 5 in the US. TBH this guy couldn't have hit a barn door at 10 paces. Now I am not saying he definitely had a false handicap, but he was just too bad for it to have been a bad day.

We should all play by ALL the rules, not just the ones that we like.

I will be posting every post-able round no matter if I am alone or with someone. I play with integrity and I think it is complete nonsense that rule was put in place. If someone will cheat their handicap when playing alone, they are more than likely already cheating their numbers and this rule doesn't prevent anything.

To my knowledge we have never been able to post single round scores here in the UK, and I have been playing since late 1972.

I can certainly see why they have brought this rule in. To cut down on the false scores that get posted, and yes there will always be a bunch of them. Both better and worse than the correct score. The USGA are simply trying to make the whole handicap system a level playing field for all, and they should be commended for actually standing up and doing something constructive.

The main problem is one of policing the rule, but in respect to policing rules in golf, there are many more that are virtually impossible to police. If a player is a cheater by nature, he/she will cheat no matter what rules are brought in. Fact of life, and all we can hope for is they get caught out.

What I would say to those of you who are hell bent on ignoring the rule and continuing to post single rounds, look at this from another angle. If you saw your playing partner blatently improving his lie in the rough or hazard, would you let it go knowing he has cheated. I think not and from that moment on you would always wonder whether that guy is always cheating to get the handicap he wants rather than the one he deserves.

Now you may be as trustworthy as the Pope (assuming he is), but if you are posting single round scores when you shouldn't be, some folks may quite legitimately wonder whether you are not as squeaky clean as you should be, otherwise why are you not abiding by such a simple rule.

I played with a guy from Florida last year who was on hols over here and he 'claimed' he was off 5 in the US. TBH this guy couldn't have hit a barn door at 10 paces. Now I am not saying he definitely had a false handicap, but he was just too bad for it to have been a bad day.

We should all play by ALL the rules, not just the ones that we like.

Your misunderstanding the intent of the rule. No one is concerned with the vanity caps out there. Its the sandbagging where one posts higher rounds to inflate his cap and then benefit from that higher cap in competitions.

The rule (even if for a well intended reason) still undermines the integrity and etiquettes this game was and still is supposedly built on. Many people do play alone and often not due to any fault of there own but simply don't have common time to play with oithers he knows who also plays and/or simply plays at times when a course is not crowded. . And simply having someone else to play along side you in every round is never going to stop a sandbagger anyway. Playing among within groups of strangers during casual rounds no one is going to care what another does nor keep tabs on it nor even know if he runs a handicap anyway. In the end this game is built on the honor system. You cant stoop down to the level of the cheaters by undermining the honor of all.

I'll probably follow it, but mostly because I rarely find myself playing rounds by myself. If I were someone who played alone often, I would find it unfair to not post rounds, especially good ones.

Its not often I am actually solo even though I am almost always a single but when I am solo I am going to post it. I don't get a whole ton of golf anyway so I am posting all my rounds. If I don't its not a true reflection of my play.

The USGA is clearly targeting us anti-social types with this rule. I will not stand for such a violation of my rights just because I am a despicable mass of flesh that nobody wants to play with, and therefore will be posting all my scores! Freedom! :alien:

As summer arrives I play a ton of solo rounds, usually after work. With the new rule I will not be posting those rounds. Truth be told, it won't do anything to my handicap and I'd rather stay on the good side of the rule, regardless of its unenforceable nature. I do play handicapped tournaments quite regularly and if this can help the sandbagging issue, then I'm all for it.

My dad always said "rules are rules. You don't have to like em, you just have to follow em." So that's what I'll do.

Does anyone else play a lot better alone than with others? Or am I the only one. I routinely break 80 alone, but typically shoot 82-86 with others. So posting solo scores last year really lowered my cap, but I guess it all evens out in the end. The more I improve, the better I play with others. Last year at this time I would shoot in the low 90's with others and 84-88 solo. I go back and forth of whether or not I'll post solo rounds.

So to go with that, how many of you post your 9 hole rounds, solo or with others?

I play all my rounds with someone. They may not be on the same hole but that's just a minor technicality.

Back