New Level Golf - 902 Forged Irons

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
This isn't a THP review, rather its just me reading the @Canadan review and feedback on the New Level 1031 irons (here: https://www.thehackersparadise.com/new-level-golf-1031-irons-review/) as well as the @ddec review and feedback on the New Level M-Type Wedges (here: https://www.thehackersparadise.com/34461-2/) and becoming interested in their other options.

New Level has a cool story surrounding it and their founder is as passionate as they come about the performance of his products. He's one of those people who when you talk to or watch on social media, you can tell he TRULY believes in the product and it isn't just a story. For upstart companies, it can be a tough road, but New Level has generated a LOT of buzz quickly.

Playing the MP18's, I was drawn to the 902 Forged which is New Level's most compact model, and Eric assured me they were very similar in size/profile. So, I took the plunge.

This first post will serve as some info and a few pic's of the 902's, then I'll discuss them in subsequent posts.

Information from New Level:

Our new, 902 irons incorporate all of the modern features you'd expect to see in a game improvement iron, but with a compact size, reduced offset, and thin topline.

The muscle cavity and undercut sole provide unsurpassed stability on off center strikes.
An enhanced leading edge camber provides superior turf interaction and reduces digging.

Unlike traditional forged irons, which require significant hand finishing, our 902 is CNC Milled to it's final state which ensures superior club-to-club quality.

Price - $1393 (4-PW), $1194 (5-PW) - Includes THIRTY SEVEN no upcharge shaft options

Specifications:

Club
PW
Loft
Lie Angle
Offset (mm)
3.2mm
3.2mm
3.0mm
3.0mm
3.0mm
2.8mm
2.8mm
Head Weight (g)
249g
256g
263g
270g
277g
284g
291g
Swingweight
D2
D2
D2
D2
D2
D2
D3
Length
38.50”
38.00”
37.50”
37.00”
36.50”
36.00”
35.75”

Material - 1020 Carbon Steel
Finish - Pearl Satin Chrome
Hosel ID - Parallel
Hosel OD - .540"
Shafting Depth - 1.265"

DSC_0024-XL.jpg

DSC_0022-XL.jpg

DSC_0018-XL.jpg

DSC_0023-XL.jpg

DSC_0025-XL.jpg

Those look ****ing sharp!

• Staff
As mentioned, one cool thing is there are currently 37 no upcharge shaft options, and they keep adding them.

I went with these....

DSC_0020-XL.jpg

But the full list (iron shafts only, I'm not including the wedge shafts) is:

ACCRA 70i
ACCRA 80i
Steelfiber i70
Steelfiber i80
Steelfiber i95
Steelfiber i110
Fujikura Vista Pro 50i
Fujikura Vista Pro 60i
Fujikura Pro 75
Fujikura Pro 85
KBS TGI 70
KBS TGI 80
KBS TGI 90
KBS TGI 110
KBS Tour
KBS Tour 90
KBS Tour 105
KBS Tour-V
KBS FLT
KBS C-Taper Lite
KBS C-Taper
KBS $-Taper
Nippon Modus 105
Nippon Modus 120
Project-X
Project-X LZ
DG AMT Red
DG AMT Black
DG AMT White
DG 105
DG 120
DG Tour Issue

Wow... They look really good!

I love the look of these - I think I’m dipping my toes into the brand with the wedges this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Staff
Size wise, they're pretty spot on my MP18's. Here is a comparison, sole and topline, of the MP18's and then sole only (forgot a topline one) vs the P790.

DSC_0028-L.jpg

DSC_0029-L.jpg

DSC_0027-L.jpg

Those are lovely, especially with the TGI 110's in them. Looking forward to the follow!

Are those slots in the back cut progressively more shallow as you go from the long irons to the short?

• Staff
Are those slots in the back cut progressively more shallow as you go from the long irons to the short?

No sir, they're, to my eye, the same depth from 5 to PW.

I want to add, Eric was awesome. When I tested the TGI 70's, I had some pretty legit swing weighting issues in the longer irons, so I hesitated to go with the new 110's over the $-Taper that I've been playing in my MP18's. He reassured me it was no issue for them, and not only would they hit SW, but they would do their absolute best to hit the SW I was asking for (D4 in the 5-9 vs the D2 they typically build them at, and D5 vs D3 in the PW). Upon them coming in, I took them to the SW scale and they NAILED it.

Awesome review by Canadan, and super cool that people are out there buying in to upstart equipment. These look fantastic and the immediate impression is that of good quality

They look nice

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I want to add, Eric was awesome. When I tested the TGI 70's, I had some pretty legit swing weighting issues in the longer irons, so I hesitated to go with the new 110's over the $-Taper that I've been playing in my MP18's. He reassured me it was no issue for them, and not only would they hit SW, but they would do their absolute best to hit the SW I was asking for (D4 in the 5-9 vs the D2 they typically build them at, and D5 vs D3 in the PW). Upon them coming in, I took them to the SW scale and they NAILED it.
I have also requested a little swing weight increase in the 610s over stock and are very confident it will be hit.

These look pretty great based on the feedback here. If I was looking for new irons, I would put New Level in the first group.

Really really good looking irons. Very clean lines.

Those are really clean looking irons and a profile I enjoy! I wish them nothing but the best, so far they seem like a standup company that’s offering a solid product with great options. Although for personal preference I do wish they offered them with Recoils...

Those are really clean looking irons and a profile I enjoy! I wish them nothing but the best, so far they seem like a standup company that’s offering a solid product with great options. Although for personal preference I do wish they offered them with Recoils...

Recoils are available, but I believe they are one of the upcharge options. Could be wrong there though.

Man these are sweet looking. Looking forward to hearing some feedback on these. Best of luck to the company.

Spent some time hitting range rocks earlier this evening, 902 Forged side by side with my MP18 - 9 irons. I did hit them on the GC2, but, I didn't have the iPad to utilize the app as Charlotte Jo took priority there in use, ABC Mouse over Foresight App, HA!

That said, the numbers are really good, very close to the MP18, just a touch less spin which given the TGI 110 vs $-Taper setups surprised me.

Some general numbers for the 902 9i (I'll have more detailed date come Tuesday, so until then I'll not get too in depth), averaged 108 ball speed, 22.1* launch, 8440 RPM, 30 Yard peak, 48.2* descent angle. Pretty damn good.

They look amazing and the company is extremely responsive on social media, wow.

They have an S55 meet Bridgestone and had offspring.

They have an S55 meet Bridgestone and had offspring.
The numbers on the sole scream Bridgestone to me, it's just that unique kind of angular but blocked off look. I like it a lot.

They're a good size for New Level imo, not super players iron small, but small enough for the golfer who likes a more compact look to be ok with it. As I mentioned, practically spot on with my MP18's in size/profile and for me that is a mega-win.

My biggest concern when pulling the trigger though was feel. I was concerned that they'd be on that firm end like every Titleist players iron they've made, which has that little click to it, a trademark for them but not what I associate with a flush sensation. The MP18's are literally the best feeling irons I've ever hit, which also made this purchase a more timid thing, but the 902's really are close, maybe a little more of a solid undertone to them, but the feel is still addicting and better than a lot of players irons I've hit.

Im eagerly looking forward to a week of play with these.

They look amazing and the company is extremely responsive on social media, wow.
They really are. Always fun to see a brand or company that pays attention when you tag them or discuss them. Nice to get a like or retweet too, seems some out there just don't have time for that anymore.

They really are. Always fun to see a brand or company that pays attention when you tag them or discuss them. Nice to get a like or retweet too, seems some out there just don't have time for that anymore.

I’m a fan of engagement, but I often times find it interesting in discussion. The reason I say that is there really is only 2-3 large equipment companies that engage. Taylormade, Ping, Titleist, Mizuno do none of it. Although Titleist has gotten a tad better, they are still not going to engage yet.

When asked about those companies users say they don’t care. Then the ones that do, If they back away briefly are “doing me wrong”. It’s a real tough draw.

I believe that a small company with no R&D experience is going to have to do their own marketing to keep their clubs in top fitter like Club Champion and I think New Level has done a good job at that. The interesting part to me comes as business picks up.

I’m a fan of engagement, but I often times find it interesting in discussion. The reason I say that is there really is only 2-3 large equipment companies that engage. Taylormade, Ping, Titleist, Mizuno do none of it. Although Titleist has gotten a tad better, they are still not going to engage yet.

When asked about those companies users say they don’t care. Then the ones that do, If they back away briefly are “doing me wrong”. It’s a real tough draw.

I believe that a small company with no R&D experience is going to have to do their own marketing to keep their clubs in top fitter like Club Champion and I think New Level has done a good job at that. The interesting part to me comes as business picks up.

And this is why I tend to enjoy the smaller brands who really get behind what they do. For New Level, it helps that Eric is insanely knowledgeable and previously one of the best fitters around. His history is quite interesting.

I do though see those you mentioned engaging more and more, a simple like can go a long way for a consumer, just as it can for the follower of any review site, blog, whatever. It's the new age, and we are always going to have some companies and user who aren't affected by engagement, and others who are. It's a good time to be a golfer and golf equipment fan.

Back