NHL 2011-2012 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ilya Kovalchuk, right now, is underrated. People still think he's a cherry-picking one-trick pony.

Ilya Kovalchuk, right now, is underrated. People still think he's a cherry-picking one-trick pony.

That contract is the only thing that puts him into the overrated column for me. For the years and the money that guy is being paid, he should be a 50 goal scorer, point a night player, and he isn't. The two worst contracts ever are Ilya and DiPietro.

That contract is the only thing that puts him into the overrated column for me. For the years and the money that guy is being paid, he should be a 50 goal scorer, point a night player, and he isn't. The two worst contracts ever are Ilya and DiPietro.

Of course, the contract and/or media hype is what makes a player overrated. Kovalchuk at 6.6m per year is a steal, but the contract is of course twice as long as it should be. His contributions go well beyond the points now. He's a far cry from the Atlanta days and he regularly plays shorthanded (plus puts up points while doing so).

And FWIW, he has 40pts in 41 games with a slow start. He does pass more and sets guys up more often, so I accept a decline in goals...but he's still on pace for 35 in a year where he's well below his career avg in shooting %.

If you think Ilya's contract is bad, you have to admit RDPs contract is still miles and miles worse. He's signed for a bazillion years but is constantly injured. He injured himself in a different spot while rehabbing for crying out loud. They're not even close.

RDP's contract might be the worst in the history of sports.

I do agree though that Ilya has at least been a bit more consistent this season. I don't doubt his scoring prowess - I doubt his consistent effort and his defensive ability.

Of course, the contract and/or media hype is what makes a player overrated. Kovalchuk at 6.6m per year is a steal, but the contract is of course twice as long as it should be. His contributions go well beyond the points now. He's a far cry from the Atlanta days and he regularly plays shorthanded (plus puts up points while doing so).

And FWIW, he has 40pts in 41 games with a slow start. He does pass more and sets guys up more often, so I accept a decline in goals...but he's still on pace for 35 in a year where he's well below his career avg in shooting %.

If you think Ilya's contract is bad, you have to admit RDPs contract is still miles and miles worse. He's signed for a bazillion years but is constantly injured. He injured himself in a different spot while rehabbing for crying out loud. They're not even close.

All great points. I would have no problem having Ilya on my team. But at the right length of contract and the right price. I just don't understand what these GM's are thinking, handing 27 and 28 year old players, 12 and 15 year deals. DiPietro's contract is a nightmare. I mean, he wasn't THAT good when they offered him the deal.

All great points. I would have no problem having Ilya on my team. But at the right length of contract and the right price. I just don't understand what these GM's are thinking, handing 27 and 28 year old players, 12 and 15 year deals. DiPietro's contract is a nightmare. I mean, he wasn't THAT good when they offered him the deal.

It was a way to get the cap hit down. If he'd signed a 7-year contract the cap hit would've been 9+, now it's 6.6. That's an entire 4th line and maybe a 3rd-liner too. And when he retires (in all likelihood before the age of 43 or whenever it ended) the cap hit comes off the books. Of course, the league thought Kovalchuk's contract was the straw that broke the camel's back so they changed the rules for contracts.

After my initial "Kovalchuk is the new Yzerman"-post, I checked NHL.com and they had an article on the same topic. Quite a nice read, actually: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=612754&navid=DL|NHL|home

It was a way to get the cap hit down. If he'd signed a 7-year contract the cap hit would've been 9+, now it's 6.6. That's an entire 4th line and maybe a 3rd-liner too. And when he retires (in all likelihood before the age of 43 or whenever it ended) the cap hit comes off the books. Of course, the league thought Kovalchuk's contract was the straw that broke the camel's back so they changed the rules for contracts.

After my initial "Kovalchuk is the new Yzerman"-post, I checked NHL.com and they had an article on the same topic. Quite a nice read, actually: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=612754&navid=DL|NHL|home

Great read, though IMO opinion there will never be another Yzerman. The guy is quite arguably the best 200ft player ever to touch the ice.

Wouldn't be surprised if during the next CBA agreement coming up next season if we see something go into place that gets rid of these long-term decade long contracts. As they should.

Malkin strikes again as the Pens rally from a 4-2 deficit to take it into OT. Really entertaining game.

Steel Tappin'

PK Subban is a punk of a hockey player. What a joke.

Steel Tappin'

And the Penguins rally to win the SO.

Malkin ties it up. Malkin scores the only SO goal.

Malkin is the best player in the world right now.

Steel Tappin'

And the Penguins rally to win the SO.

Malkin ties it up. Malkin scores the only SO goal.

Malkin is the best player in the world right now.

Steel Tappin'

Agreed. He's playing amazing hockey right now.

Pens/Caps on Sunday.

In the immortal words of Bart Scott..can't wait.

Steel Tappin'

MALKIN!

What a fantastic game.

Malkin, Neal, and Kunitz are unstoppable.

Malkin > Ovechkin.

And another two goals for Neal today. Always great beating the Caps.

Steel Tappin'

That goal Neal had off the faceoff was crazy good!

Good god Malkin is on fire.

Instead of the gr8eight, Ovi needs to be called the dirty8. Guy cannot check properly, feet comes off the ice almost every check.

Flyers vs Boston game was really great physical game. Wish Bryz didn't suck so bad.

Flyers vs Boston game was really great physical game. Wish Bryz didn't suck so bad.

I agree. He isn't what I thought he would be

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Malkin was named the NHL's #1 star for the week.

9 goals, 4 assists during the Penguins six game winning streak.

The Avs just can't seem to win the close one's or the one's they "should" win.

Another beautiful win. James Neal scored again.

St. Louis is a really tough place to win.

Yeah, no kidding. That'd be a disaster.

Neal was added to the ASG today - should've been there from the beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back