Nike VR Pro Combo Irons - Forum Testing Review

Is this trough out the set (pocket,split and blade)? and in your old set, was it also throughout the set?

I typically do not have a fade on the real short irons (9/PW) and did not see a fade in either set. I saw it all the way without a doubt from 4-7 irons in comparison to each other. I did not have a 3 iron in my old set and the jury is still out on the 8 iron.

Since I tended to hit a bunch of 6 and 7 irons last night - that was when it really jumped out at me (especially in the head to head 7i comparison).

@mcook great pics and great review.
well done.

great review so far, looking forward to the other testers.

:alien2::banana::clapp:
I almost wanted to post this in the happy happy joy joy thread because that is how I feel. My Nike VR Pro Combos just arrived and I am ecstatic. I will upload a few pictures to start with and the unboxing a bit later. Unfortunately due to a prior commitment this evening, I will not be taking these to the range until morning. I will at that time give you my "official first impressions." Let me just say for now...
These sticks are AWESOME!!

I ordered these with the KBS Tour Black Nickel shafts
Standard Length 1* upright
Golf Pride Multicompound Red & Black
3 & 4
100_1583.jpg

5,6,& 7
100_1584.jpg

8, 9, PW
100_1585.jpg

100_1593.jpg

100_1596.jpg

100_1595.jpg

The distortion is not on the clubs, it is from my shaking the camera, I am just so excited!

More to come so stay tuned!!

Those look so good. Nike really outdid themselves with this iron set.

Very nice choices Beo! Congrats. Get to work testing those babies!!! :)

I just received my VR Pro Combos from FedEx and of course the sky is getting cloudy and gray now. These clubs are gorgeous. I went with .5" shortened and 1* flat and just by setting up to the ball it feels so much better. I can't wait to hit some balls with these. I'm hoping I can get to the range tonight, but it all depends on the weather. We have had quite a bit of rain lately and once the ranges are wet they're closed until they can dry out, but as long as it doesn't rain until after 8 or so I will be able to get a range session in for sure. MCook already did a great job of showing these off, but I took some pictures and tried to perform a little comparison via video.

My specs:
1/2" shortened
1* flat
Dynamic Gold SL S300
photo39.jpg

[video=youtube;DdpyJ9-f99I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdpyJ9-f99I&feature=player_detailpage[/video]
photo40.jpg

photo49.jpg

photo48.jpg

3 Iron
photo42.jpg

5 Iron
photo46.jpg

photo44.jpg

Good pics! I finally see the opening in the pocket cavity. I didn't notice that before.

Last edited by a moderator:
great stuff so far. Loving all of the pictures. The looks of those KBS Black nickel shafts are unreal.

Great updates so far, insanely jealous - hehe

Keep up the good work :D

I have these on my radar with a potential 3 other sets

These clubs are sick! Great reviews guys!!

The KBS shafts look great in that black nickel finish! goes well with the club.

Absolutely love the black nickel shafts. WOWEE! I have seen those on ebay but never actually seen them installed on some irons and I must say the are gorgeous!

Great pic's that is a sexy looking set of clubs. Loved the initial review, looking forward to hearing more.

Beowulf and F2G bringing it with the photos, and an unboxing video! Can't wait for your first reaction to these at the range!

Absolutely love the black nickel shafts. WOWEE! I have seen those on ebay but never actually seen them installed on some irons and I must say the are gorgeous!

I too had only seen photos of them. I have to say I am more than happy with that decision.

Those are some nice looking sticks f2g.

I was hoping I could sneak in a range session, but the weather is not letting that happen today.
adabaddc-e657-51aa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was hoping I could sneak in a range session, but the weather is not letting that happen today.
adabaddc-e657-51aa.jpg

mother nature being a pain, that really sucks, i know i would be itching to hit those

Great looking sticks!
Will that pocket turn into a bit of a dirt/grass catcher?

Great looking sticks!

It certainly could, but it doesn't seem like it would be hard to clean out. It's definitely something I'll be keeping my eye on though.

Great looking sticks!
I thought about that as soon as I saw it. Thinking a bit of dirt could effect the weight and balance of the head.
It probably will, but I just checked and a q-tip fits in there quite nicely. Piece of cake to clean.

great videos and reviews so far guys! I am jealous, those irons look nice!

Just got home from my 2nd range session with the new clubs and boy was it a roller coaster of a session. Fat shots were the issue today for me and for those that have seen my swing from the Compression Board review and/or the Ask the Pro section, you will know that I have a tendency to straighten my right leg and my entire right side stands up throughout the shot. Sometimes I get away with it and sometimes I do not. Not sure why but it took me awhile today to realize what I was doing with everything running through my mind and by the time I figured it out my range session was 75% complete. Needless to say, the last 25% of the range session with the 5 iron was pretty damn good.

I want to start out by addressing a few questions that were raised earlier today in the thread by some forum members.

1) Between the 3 different types of club in the set (blade, split, and pocket), what are the differences in feel and flight?

Blade: On mishits, there is not a bunch of bad vibration but you still know that it was a mishit. Ball flight is similar to full shots with about a 40% loss in distance. On solid strikes, the ball climbs very quickly and quite high which I like for landing/sticking on greens. Feel on solid strikes is pure (not going to use the buttery soft term here) and you just want to do it again.

Split cavity: On mishits, there is more of a jarring feeling through the grip area but it is not terrible but there is no doubt that you did not hit it good. Ball flight is a bit lower on mishits with again about a 30% loss in distance but still very straight. On solid hits, there is a mid-low high ball flight (which I am used to) but definitely not ballooning. This will be easier to judge on the course tomorrow I think. Solid strikes are again pure with not feeling much through impact.

Pocket cavity: On mishits, I definitely felt it here today on the 3 iron. I felt like the club almost twisted a bit in my hands on the fat shots with the 3 iron. Mishits stayed pretty low with about a 30% loss in overall distance (bad 3 irons were carrying about 125-135 for me today). Good 3 irons got well higher (probably about 50-60 feet in overall height which was contrary to what I said last night; I played closer attention to this today to gauge the height) and felt very pure. Into the wind today, I was carrying the 3 iron about 175.

Overall, I am still seeing some distance loss throughout the entire set even when struck well (due to lofts being weaker). I am definitely paying for my mishits with distance loss and feeling of the impact.

2) What is the reaction of the 6 iron to shots off the heel and toe?

Heel: Felt like a thin shot and it pulled well left of the target.
Toe: Hit it a few fat off the toe and it felt heavy and pushed right.

The 6 irons that I hit really solid were off the toe through as well so I am seeing some forgiveness on the toe end of the club. EVERYTHING I hit today with the 6i that was solid was on the toe half and still saw a great ball flight up to about 60 or 65 feet, nice and arcing for a good approach into a green.

3) Workability

I specifically tried to work the ball with the 6i today. It was not to happen for me. I used a real strong grip (which I can usually do off the tee with a 3 wood or 3 hybrid to draw the ball) but this just stayed straight for me. I have never tried to purposely fade the ball and I tried to use a weak grip with my thumb from my right hand down the right side of the grip and that was dead straight also.

Needless to say - everything was straight for me. I am simply not a worker of the ball.

Overall impressions from this session:

- A fat shot is a fat shot. I think my old irons may have given me a bit of forgiveness (in the area of more distance) in this area that the Nike's do not.
- Well struck shots are greatly rewarded. I love the ball flight and can't wait to see how the ball reacts if I can hit some greens over the next 2 days.
- I love how straight these are flying for me. Removes some doubt about where to setup when approaching a green when I know the ball flight will be straight since I am not seeing a natural fade with them.
- Not sure if it is just from hitting so many balls consecutive days or the actual grips, but they started to agitate me less than halfway into the session (even on my gloved left hand). I seriously may have to consider wearing 2 gloves if I start seeing blisters on my right hand.

So, headed out tomorrow morning to get in a quick 18. Playing a fairly flat course to provide an opportunity to dial in iron distances and just see how these react off of the range when I am not pounding ball after ball and perhaps concentrate on EACH shot a bit more than I do on the range.

Back