Nike VR Tour Driver (Project X) - Mini Review

the Belbs

Everybody Clap your Hands
Reaction score
Handicap
TMEX 1.001
I've been reading all the different reviews on this driver I could find, and there weren't any really on this forum, so I decided that since I recently acquired one, I would do a review.

History - I've been looking for a driver for about a year. Towards the end of last season, my driver started making this "clicky" sound, coming from where the hosel and the shaft meet. I've heard this before, it is usually a pre-cursor to the head breaking. With that in mind, my wife gave me the go ahead to get a new driver. Over the winter I've been reading reviews, looking at the different clubs with different shafts and decided on the Nike VR Tour (non Str-8 fit) version. I went this route because I typically hit a draw/hook and didn't want a lot of loft. I have a high swing speed (115mph+) and I am also a high ball hitter as well so the Project X shaft was a perfect choice. I went on the lookout for an 8.5 degree,X flex, Nike VR Tour driver. (Project X 6.5 Shaft)

I managed to score it "open box" from GlobalGolf.com for $289.99. When it arrived it was BRAND NEW, I mean plastic still on the head and grip. Wow

Looks
This driver looks FANTASTIC. I love the blue Project X shaft and the black smaller (400cc) pear shaped head. There is no "gear" in the middle of the face, and that is highly appealing.

Sound
The sound when I hit is is louder and a little more "Tinny" than with my old driver (Warrior 8* with Harrison long drive shaft) This isn't a bad thing, just different. Honestly I don't care about the sound as by that point I have already hit the ball.

Distance
I never got to hit this on the range previous to hitting the course, so I was worried. But it was not noticeably longer than my previous driver, but it felt more solid. I averaged about 280+ with the driver on a day when there was no roll. We lost 3 balls in the middle of the fairway it was that wet. I did manage to bomb 2 over 300 though, so I was happy with that. I didn't get this driver looking for distance, I wanted accuracy - see next section...

Accuracy
Officially with the Driver I hit only 4/11 Fw's. But on 2 of those I "ran out of fairway" and on 2 others I missed by maybe 1-2 yards. In my books, I only really missed 3 fairways. The ones I did miss, were bad swings, when trying to "kill it" so I missed left, my normal miss. I was very happy with this driver. The very first shot with the driver I hit perfectly straight about 290 down the middle.

Overall Thoughts
I LOVE THIS DRIVER. I wanted a driver that was more accurate and one with a lower ball flight. This driver certainly delivered that. If you have a high swing speed and want to hit it lower this one could be for you. But due to the 2* open face, if your shot is a cut, fade, or slice... this is not likely the one for you. Go with the Str-8 Fit.

Pics to come later (when I get home)

As I play more with the driver I will add to this thread.

Great that it worked out for you! I bought the Str8 Fit Dymo2 with little testing (it was a steal of a price) and it worked out too. Keep us posted and can't wait to see the pics!!!!!!! Congrats!

glad that the new driver is working out for you. would love to see some pics of it. dude, you can crush a golf ball! running out of fairway is something i'm not familiar with.

good write up, i'll enjoy following this one.

Great to hear it's working out for you. I can't wait to see the pics

Nice write-up rb. The VR is a really nice looking driver. TC is correct, you have some serious distance off the tee!

nice pick up....can't wait for some pics!

Pics! The one of the head didn't turn out that well. I'll try to redo that one later.

4496159757_cb6739e1c6.jpg

4496796446_5059c89825.jpg

4496159697_33c2c3311b.jpg

4496159643_44c4275738.jpg

4496159605_00713d0f1a.jpg

4496796322_02a5669522.jpg

nice! i love that headcover. it looks classy. the pics are great, thanks for sharing.

I want one now! Thanks for the review

Ok, an update on this thread - just played my second round with this driver, and I have to say I am impressed! The stats aren't as impressive I think I was 4/12 for FWs but more important to me than that is "Is my 2nd shot/approach shot playable?" In which case it was 11/12 times. (I was better with the D than I was with the 3 iron off the tee - lol)

So far this club has done what I wanted and made me more accurate off the tee, even if I lost a couple yards in the process. Still averaging over 280, so I have to be happy with that. If you draw the ball, and want to straighten that up, this club is fantastic. As I said before if you normally slice the ball, the 2* open face is not for you.

As I said before if you normally slice the ball, the 2* open face is not for you.

And that's why I can't get one... yet. I tend to have a pretty bad slice with the driver, but I am working on it.

Thanks for the review. I think that the VR drivers are really sweet looking and was looking for a review. Great job!

I have to strongly disagree about the 2* open face as a reason to not get the driver if you slice the ball. Don't let that scare you off this driver, you will regret it without ever knowing. Most definitely try to hit one.

I just ordered a 10.5 / 5.5 and should have it by Thursday.

It may sound like a reasonable assumption, but the 2* open face just does not translate into slicing the ball.

I ordered this driver based on a demo day were I hit a Callaway FT-iZ and the VR Tour. I could not hit the FT-iZ, of 20 drives I pushed 19 right, it was unblieveable, With VR Tour it was just the opposite, 19 straight and one went slightly left.

I thought it was just a coincidence, so I went back and forth, a couple with each, and got the same results, VR Tour went straight, FT-iZ went right.

I currently have a 2007 Burner and while I can hit some great drives with it. I've come to realize the club is just too big for me. I can slice it, I can hook it, I can do it all with this club.

The 420 head on the VR makes all the difference it the world, you just feel like you have control over the club, with the Burner, it was sometimes you have the feeling. As I recall also, a few months ago, thehackersparadise.com testers review rated this the 2nd highest for accuracy, only after the Fourteen club.

Give it a try, you won't regret it..!!

Love that head cover. Thats a nice shaft and head combo.

I have to strongly disagree about the 2* open face as a reason to not get the driver if you slice the ball. Don't let that scare you off this driver, you will regret it without ever knowing. Most definitely try to hit one.

I just ordered a 10.5 / 5.5 and should have it by Thursday.

It may sound like a reasonable assumption, but the 2* open face just does not translate into slicing the ball.

I ordered this driver based on a demo day were I hit a Callaway FT-iZ and the VR Tour. I could not hit the FT-iZ, of 20 drives I pushed 19 right, it was unblieveable, With VR Tour it was just the opposite, 19 straight and one went slightly left.

I thought it was just a coincidence, so I went back and forth, a couple with each, and got the same results, VR Tour went straight, FT-iZ went right.

I currently have a 2007 Burner and while I can hit some great drives with it. I've come to realize the club is just too big for me. I can slice it, I can hook it, I can do it all with this club.

The 420 head on the VR makes all the difference it the world, you just feel like you have control over the club, with the Burner, it was sometimes you have the feeling. As I recall also, a few months ago, thehackersparadise.com testers review rated this the 2nd highest for accuracy, only after the Fourteen club.

Give it a try, you won't regret it..!!
Interesting results. The iZ is 4 degrees closed and when I missed with that club, I duck hooked it.

I hit the VR myself and thought it was a good driver! People should hit it, it's very solid.

I wish the smaller head was available w/ the str8fit. My driver is a little too unpredictable at times, and the str8fit definitely helps, but the head is so big it feels like it slows me down. Anyone else feel the same?

I wish the smaller head was available w/ the str8fit. My driver is a little too unpredictable at times, and the str8fit definitely helps, but the head is so big it feels like it slows me down. Anyone else feel the same?
The 8.5 and 9.5 are available in a 440 with the str8fit, as opposed to the 460 for higher lofts, is that small enough?

I liked the smaller head myself.

I have the 440 It still seems bubble-like
I see that now. I thought the top of the club was very traditional looking and very easy to adjust to. I could see how you would think it's bubble-like. I didn't lose any swing speed using it. I wasn't a fan of the higher lofted and larger headed Nike drivers.

I see that now. I thought the top of the club was very traditional looking and very easy to adjust to. I could see how you would think it's bubble-like. I didn't lose any swing speed using it. I wasn't a fan of the higher lofted and larger headed Nike drivers.

Same. It just seems bigger than 440, especially with that extra loop on the back of the driver.

I love the smaller club head of this club. And I have been hitting it very well lately. I can almost work the ball now (well when trying to hit a slice it goes straight or maybe 2-3 yards right). Anyone that wants to try it, I will have it with me at the fall outing ;)

I also have this club very good club, i got this in 10.5 because of the open face angle, I can bomb it, i bought a Machspeed for fun....but I dont like the Str-8 fit thingy, but to each its own....I love that you dont have to tee the ball up so high and the smaller head makes it so much easier to work the ball both ways, but I really want to get a Superfast TP, i dont know why, I just want one....

I love the smaller club head of this club. And I have been hitting it very well lately. I can almost work the ball now (well when trying to hit a slice it goes straight or maybe 2-3 yards right). Anyone that wants to try it, I will have it with me at the fall outing ;)

I just might have to take you up on that!

Back