Blowing into the cartridge is ACTUALLY really bad for the games! It makes the pins corrode. NES in Japan is known as the Famicom(Family Computer). They all load from the top like a Sega Genesis or SNES. The American NES console was changed because the Japanese developers thought Americans wouldn't like a top loading console...so, they designed it like a VCR. And, when you have trouble getting the game to activate, it's actually the pins not making good contact...not dust! The whole blow into it to make it work is just an American concept...Japan didn't have this issue. Also, this is the same reason the US didn't get the real Mario Bros. 2! Nintendo thought it was to hard for Americans and they gave us Doki Doki Panic with the characters swapped out. That's why it's so different from the first one.

Yes I know. It was however how those in their 40s spent their youth.

Nintendo vs Sega

Blowing into the cartridge is ACTUALLY really bad for the games! It makes the pins corrode. NES in Japan is known as the Famicom(Family Computer). They all load from the top like a Sega Genesis or SNES. The American NES console was changed because the Japanese developers thought Americans wouldn't like a top loading console...so, they designed it like a VCR. And, when you have trouble getting the game to activate, it's actually the pins not making good contact...not dust! The whole blow into it to make it work is just an American concept...Japan didn't have this issue. Also, this is the same reason the US didn't get the real Mario Bros. 2! Nintendo thought it was to hard for Americans and they gave us Doki Doki Panic with the characters swapped out. That's why it's so different from the first one.

It’s also why the top loading NES’s they did release at the end of the NES lifecycle are so sought after.

I have two. Haha

It’s also why the top loading NES’s they did release at the end of the NES lifecycle are so daughter-in-law after.

I have two. Haha

I think that is supposed to say sought, right?

It’s also why the top loading NES’s they did release at the end of the NES lifecycle are so sought after.

I have two. Haha

Um....

So @Jman you collect NES and/or SNES?
Complete collection or growing?
Or just picked up some games you enjoy?

NES...

1. Contra
2. Double Dragon
3. Tecmo Bowl
4. Double Dribble
5. RBI Baseball
6. Mike Tyson’s Punchout
7. Track and Frield
8. Mario Bro
9. Duck Hunt
10. Excitebike

So @Jman you collect NES and/or SNES?
Complete collection or growing?
Or just picked up some games you enjoy?

I used to collect NES, SNES, 2600, and arcade machines.

Cleared the collection down to two arcades (Galaga and Super Pac Man) and all the 2600. Kept only a handful of SNES (Earthbound, FF’s, Chrono) but still have 100+ NES including a couple multi-carts!

Also still have all my Sega Master System Stuff which is more in the NES timeline.

I’m so glad my mom kept all of my old toys and video games. Now that my kids are older and obsessed with their Nintendo Switches I’m going to have to dig up all my old cónsules and let them know what a real gaming system is like

My son has the switch, and they release a few new NES games each month, costs 20 bucks a year I think to access the library. Think SNES is coming. I also have a few emulators loaded on my WII so can play every NES game and SNES (Sega too) ever made.

We also used to stick a plastic sword in the front of our NES to keep the game down and connected. And blowing in them of course. Ah good times.

I have a complete collection of both (emulators) and NES is waaaay better.

Still use it?

Unfortunately no... I was guilted into letting my brother in law "borrow" it. Not sure I will ever see it again since we don't live in the same state.

Sega was WAY better to me, but Nintendo had the more iconic games as a whole.

If I coukd have one or the other it would be the Genesis.

Nintendo Golf. Where it all started.

Oh and RBI baseball. that game was the Truth.

Plus you don’t get sick of the games because it takes you 12 minutes to blow into the cartridge to get it to work anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nintendo Golf. Where it all started.

Oh and RBI baseball. that game was the Truth.

Plus you don’t get sick of the games because it takes you 12 minutes to blow into the cartridge to get it to work anyway.

I am now humming that terrible music from RBI baseball.

I've had the music from Bases Loaded in my head since this thread popped up.

I loved Sega, but you never bet against Nintendo.

RBI Baseball. Wowowowow

RBI Baseball, oh yes!!!!

Little League World Series, Ninja Turtles, Contra, Double Dragon, Double Dribble (the slow mo dunk), ExciteBike....

Mine was so used i had to put the games in, push it down and tape it to the console so it would stay down.

When the game wouldn't work, pull it out, using a Q-Tip with alcohol on it to wipe the cartridge and blowing on it until you'd almost pass out.

Those were the days!!!

Haha! I’ll take it all day to the Disney tune of the day that my girls plant in my brain ever morning...

Sega. But I'm biased being that I've got around 90 Genesis games already

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Easy

52ab39db56ad8a65eb226ef8394405ef.jpg

Nintendo for sure. Better games. The GOAT is Tecmo Super Bowl and Contra

Back