No Par 3 Contest at the Masters

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
“The fun and excitement of watching Masters competitors with their friends and family is what makes the Par 3 Contest such a special part of Masters week,” stated Ridley. “We know that experience could not have been replicated without guests and patrons at Augusta National, and we eagerly anticipate the opportunity to bring back this signature tradition.”

This is an outrage. Replacing it with College Gameday, are you nuts?!

The easiest possible solution here would be to introduce about 10 featured groups fully mic'ed up and giving each other ****. Then we get to enjoy it at the next level and continue not caring that the greens aren't lined with fans.

“The fun and excitement of watching Masters competitors with their friends and family is what makes the Par 3 Contest such a special part of Masters week,” stated Ridley. “We know that experience could not have been replicated without guests and patrons at Augusta National, and we eagerly anticipate the opportunity to bring back this signature tradition.”

The easiest possible solution here would be to introduce about 10 featured groups fully mic'ed up and giving each other ****. Then we get to enjoy it at the next level and continue not caring that the greens aren't lined with fans.

I thought they could selectively get some guys and use the mic like you said. Would make for a better par 3 contest and give the viewers an idea of each par three hole. Previous years I don’t get a sense of the holes with so many players an families on the course.

it’s kinda upsetting to be honest.

So freaking lame. Who cares about College Gameday, its the freaking MASTERS.

Well, that's a bummer. I'm not interested in college gameday and I don't get the tie in with the Masters. I mean, I get it, but think it wasn't a good idea.:confused2:

Par 3 Contest is one of the best parts of the tournament, and has nothing to do with fans. This is dumb.

Well, that's a bummer. I'm not interested in college gameday and I don't get the tie in with the Masters. I mean, I get it, but think it wasn't a good idea.:confused2:
the tie in is, they are afraid of losing viewership - so they catered.

...and it's spectacularly lame

yeah, I don't get this unless the players were starting to back out and they didn't want to say that.

Wow...honestly don't understand it. Are they trying to drive away viewers?

I would say most players really enjoy the family part of it. They probably don't want to do it without their family and Augusta doesn't want to bring all those folks into their bubble.

Speaking of contests at The Masters, I wasn't aware of this until just the other day but The Masters used to have a long drive contest. The last time it was held was in 1959. I think an amateur, Billy Joe Patton, held the record for longest drive at over 320 yards. And that was long before the ProV1 and metal oversized drivers!

Finau right now:

I think it makes perfect sense. I'm more upset that they aren't doing the drive, chip, putt TBH.

I understand what Ridley is saying about the Par 3. That might be true for the patrons in attendance, but many people would probably be interested in watching them play the Par 3 course on TV or livestream without spectators lining the holes.

Most players will probably opt to put in a full practice round on Wednesday. They should televise the players skipping balls over the pond on the 16th hole. That is a practice round tradition. It makes as much sense, if not more, than having ESPN do College Game Day on Saturday. At least it's golf related and the players are involved. What is ESPN going to ask JT if he thinks Alabama is going to win that day.

Is Gameday broadcasting there all week?

I was just going to say that's a bummer, but I freaking HATE college gameday. That tie in will probably make me watch less.

Thanks for being the bearer of bad news @$$

I think it's horrible that they canceled the Par 3.

Still the champs dinner so everyone can listen to how great P Reed is.

Makes perfect sense. The caddies for the event are typically SO's or kids who may not be in the traveling bubble. Start mixing in a bunch of people there is a possibility of spread of virus.

What I don't get is how Gameday is going to the Masters but couldn't be bothered to go to College Football's most played rivalry when it was at Yankee Stadium for the 150th meeting of Lehigh vs lafayette in 2014.

BTW I think having Gameday there is a smart move too. The Masters is going to have to go up against other games that it never has to worry about. Might serve as a little reminder to some fringe fans that The Masters is happening.

I saw the college game day stuff and it was a serious "what the F moment".. I could give two sh@ts about college game day..

I saw this yeasterday and it is a bummer for sure. GameDay being there doesn't move me much at all. Still, we are gonna have the Masters and that will still be amazing!!

Back