Now McIlroy Dumps The Players

Are you saying only american citizens could play the US PGA Tour? I just want to make sure I understand. I have to admit, I would absolutely hate this idea. Many of my favorite players are originally outside the US. Plus, it would get strangely political (even more than it is now) when you start basing tour membership on citizenship.

Why would anyone want to see this happen?

Never said anything of the sort. "US tour players" just like it is now. Players who have qualified and sign to play in the US tour. Nothing to do with citizenship.

Ok; thanks for answering. Still don't like the idea. I like seeing how the players from other tours match up beyond the majors, ryder/presidents cup and WGC's. Of course, I am also of the sort that like the idea of having a global tour (or separate tours but with more tour comity than is currently present). So I am biased based upon my own opinions.

Seriously dude, if it's such a big problem then don't participate. Tons of people can have disagreements and tons of us have, but we all move on from it. You just can't let things die. We all don't have the same sense of humour but one thing that is common, most don't like a martyr. So just stop.

Again just a joke...

Again just a joke...

Well it's not funny.....to anyone. And it's getting repetitive and old. You know I have zero qualm with you, so chill-ax.

My .02

I just want what's best for the game we all love dearly. They have every right to pick and choose where, (here comes an oprah sized but though) but skipping a tournament that is embraced this much just screams busch league to me. What's it if the course doesn't suit you? You're the pro, adapt.

Lee had his reason and I can kinda see that one but rorys I can't. It sounds to spoiled to me.

Heck I PAID to play this morning on a course that didn't suit me at all...in the rain! Guess I'm more serious.

Something no one has mentioned is the idea of the Players being a fifth major. Been watching pro golf for over 40 years and remember when the PGA tried to ramrod this event down our throats as the fifth major, it turned into a rather big bruhahah and I think it kinda backfired on them in the end. I believe it was all about money more than anything else as this was back when it was very difficult to get huge dollars out of the sponsors for any event that didn't draw huge galleries and major TV ratings (keep in mind this was back when the million dollar total for a season had yet to be cracked). I have never bought into the Players being any kinda major and if I had choose what event to skip in my pro career (in my dreams) this would be high on my list. And as far as the course itself there has been more than on pro who has stated their dislike of the course.

With all that said I'm sure some are using this to make a political statement and some are simply making choices that make sense for their schedule. In my opinion the real lowlife in all this are the tour staff that are making these decisions, maybe it's time for Finchem to retire, I don't remember so much drama preFinchem.

I see RM's decision as a good one. Rory didn't ask for anything here. I suspect he want's to hone his skills in Europe this year, thats all.
I can't understand where westwood is coming from though. The PGA tries to arrange a setup where we have players from all around the world playing tournaments all around the world. But Westwood can't find a slot that suits him. Last week I felt so bad for PH, and to hear how westwood is going to complain that he want's to play the Euro, 10 US events and the Players Championship is a joke. westwood just needs to concentrate on making the cuts it seems.

Big hooplah about nothing. Some courses just don't suit your eye. There're courses I play every year and I don't like some of them but I do it anyway because it's a potential paycheck. If I could afford to skip it, I would.

Had he skipped it if it was a major? No chance in hell, but it isn't and he probably feels that he competes with these guys enough times per year. He doesn't feel like he's missing out on anything. Perhaps it's a bigger deal and a bigger tournament to American players and fans, but that's not necessarily the case for a young NI kid who can't even have a beer legally in the US.

Big hooplah about nothing. Some courses just don't suit your eye. There're courses I play every year and I don't like some of them but I do it anyway because it's a potential paycheck. If I could afford to skip it, I would.

Had he skipped it if it was a major? No chance in hell, but it isn't and he probably feels that he competes with these guys enough times per year. He doesn't feel like he's missing out on anything. Perhaps it's a bigger deal and a bigger tournament to American players and fans, but that's not necessarily the case for a young NI kid who can't even have a beer legally in the US.

Where in the US. can't a 21yo get a beer legally?

You and your sense....

Lol. You know even when I disagree with you it's really hard to disagree with you. I don't know if it's I can't disagree with a man who admits their love for skinny jeans or if it's because you most likely have a kick @ss accent. I'm not sure yet.

It's the jeans and the accent. It's a killer combination, and I can't take any responsibility for any damage caused when I finally turn up to an outing.

Because we successfully defeated the British way back when so that we could do our own thing: build our huge houses, drive our huge vehicles, invent our own sports, spell our words differently, put ice and sugar in our tea, and we've certainly earned the right to keep the cream of the crop on our golf courses.

I kid of course, but I actually think your post is quite smart and could have some weight to it.

HA! Good points old chap. Aw, you totally ruined it with that last sentence! :wink:

For clairty's sake I'd just like to say that I didn't say they shouldn't or that it was wrong of them, just that I wondered if they might be doing it intentionally to gain some leverage/control of the rankings.

p.s. I still think it'd be funny if the PGA announced that course as the next Ryder Cup host - even if you're all ignoring me :D

Your first post was clear enough, sometimes it's good to just type down your 'what if' thoughts, sparks some good debate!
I'll back you up too, that would be pretty funny....wonder what LW and Rory would be tweeting about that decision! :D

I see RM's decision as a good one. Rory didn't ask for anything here. I suspect he want's to hone his skills in Europe this year, thats all.
I can't understand where westwood is coming from though. The PGA tries to arrange a setup where we have players from all around the world playing tournaments all around the world. But Westwood can't find a slot that suits him. Last week I felt so bad for PH, and to hear how westwood is going to complain that he want's to play the Euro, 10 US events and the Players Championship is a joke. westwood just needs to concentrate on making the cuts it seems.

I think that one thing people might be missing from these announcements is that European players are letting the golfing world know what their intentions are so that European tour events can start to bulk up their event sheets. Seeing as LW and RM sponsors tend to be European tour focused it might be good for them to be bolstering their tour not the PGA tour.

These guys have openly admitted that their WGR is important to them because they know that it gets them into the World Golf Championships (only the top 64 get in). So if they are in the top they might want to set themselves up for success by playing a schedule that keeps them at the top of their game.

Back