Odyssey Tri Hot Putters (2022)

Please tell me they are making a Tri-hot Ten-S....:unsure::unsure:

Do we consider Odyssey “premium” putters given their price points? Or is that more Toulon territory?
Fair given the various price points that exist in the putter realm.
I suppose when I consider what I want a $399USD putter to look like, it's not this. Throwing weird call-outs like 5K on the back is something that I would expect from a $99-$150USD putter that is trying too hard to be relevant and I would expect to give up some sleeker looks for price savings.

I was just making that point - however poorly. I scratch my head at what/why Toulon sells/works - Other than the Columbus - closest off the rack to a long neck putter (ha), I have no interest, in Toulon. I still think that many play what they see the pros play, not what may work best for an individual - so a milled Odyssey would/could be a premium putter - and once you leap into the $400 range I think you are in the premium range (albeit at the bottom end), Scotty's retail at about $425ish - so a $399 Odyssey same difference.

I guess I wonder what Toulon has to offer that makes it premium over Odyseey - for the buyer at retail, vice custom?

Fair given the various price points that exist in the putter realm.
I suppose when I consider what I want a $399USD putter to look like, it's not this. Throwing weird call-outs like 5K on the back is something that I would expect from a $99-$150USD putter that is trying too hard to be relevant and I would expect to give up some sleeker looks for price savings.
That’s fair. We have to remember though, Odyssey has never been about plain and sleek, remember the red ball? :LOL:

I don't think they are premium, I think Toulon fills that gap for them.

Now granted, they have done some "Premium" releases in the past, but their standard offerings I wouldn't consider premium.

However, they have done some cool stuff

View attachment 9045169

View attachment 9045170
Agreed, those would classify imo, but since Toulon came in, we have seen a clear differentiation it feels like.

I was just making that point - however poorly. I scratch my head at what/why Toulon sells/works - Other than the Columbus - closest off the rack to a long neck putter (ha), I have no interest, in Toulon. I still think that many play what they see the pros play, not what may work best for an individual - so a milled Odyssey would/could be a premium putter - and once you leap into the $400 range I think you are in the premium range (albeit at the bottom end), Scotty's retail at about $425ish - so a $399 Odyssey same difference.

I guess I wonder what Toulon has to offer that makes it premium over Odyseey - for the buyer at retail, vice custom?

It's true, the Toulon putters do not appeal to me in the same way a Bettinardi does or a few other brands that command a similar price.

That’s fair. We have to remember though, Odyssey has never been about plain and sleek, remember the red ball? :LOL:

Yea - and I think I over-generalized with my previous point by saying that I expect premium = sleek, as I am of the viewpoint that the 'premium' (non-standard) Scotties are utterly vulgar in their designs (like Ed Hardy shirts of old) and you tend to see much more intricate milling designs all over the head on the 'premium' putters.

My opinion really stems from the overall image that I carry through life though - I don't like wearing graphic t-shirts or flaunting logos of any kind if I can avoid it (no offense to anyone who likes loud products, that's all personal preference). I just want high-quality, sleek and subtle products that perform and last a long time and having weird things like "5K" that will mean nothing to anyone in 10 years doesn't work for me.

To me, that’s a fairly standard price range for OEM putters. Premium is more in the Toulon/SC range.

I don't disagree, putter pricing has definitely increased over the last 5 years where $200-$300 seems to be the norm for a "standard" putter. Obviously brands like Cleveland lack the same putter reputation as Odyssey and have to charge less for the same craftsmanship. Same goes for the Mizuno putters at $299 vs $399 for a similar Scotty.

I'd love to know what the annual revenue Callaway gets from Odyssey vs. Toulon. I'm guessing it's 10x or more greater for Odyssey. IMO, once you get to $399 for a putter, you shrink your potential number of buyers considerably. It doesn't make any sense, as the same doesn't hold true for a driver priced at $499 or $549.

What’s there to hate?
Screenshot_20211118-091338_Chrome.jpg

The whole thing, even the name. Tri Hot 5k ? Right out of the Out of Ideas factory.

Feels extremely unlikely, but I totally reserve the right to fall in love with one and hate myself for it though. :LOL:

Wouldn’t sell many, that’s the why.

Odyssey3.jpg

And yet, the same old three (that was the 2 in O Works I believe) shape that no one buys either.

View attachment 9045190

The whole thing, even the name. Tri Hot 5k ? Right out of the Out of Ideas factory.

Feels extremely unlikely, but I totally reserve the right to fall in love with one and hate myself for it though. :LOL:
Are they really ever out of ideas when they’re the most dominant putter brand in the game year after year?

Are they really ever out of ideas when they’re the most dominant putter brand in the game year after year?
I didn't say ideas on how to sell.

Had me at forward CG.

Honest question here, why do people seem to want forward CG in putters and claim higher MOI/forgiveness, yet in drivers, they seem to try to get the CG as far back as they can for more forgiveness? Just wondering the scientific/analytical reasoning for the difference. I’ve never figured it out.

Honest question here, why do people seem to want forward CG in putters and claim higher MOI/forgiveness, yet in drivers, they seem to try to get the CG as far back as they can for more forgiveness? Just wondering the scientific/analytical reasoning for the difference. I’ve never figured it out.
People don’t miss significantly on putters, and the forward CG creates a more balanced feel and also can improve roll. Massive perimeter weighting does increase MOI, but it also alters the CG location. Check this review out, I dive into it all:

Please, I am begging, someone in the know…please tell me that plumbers neck double wide will be available in left handed??? We missed out on the OG double wide last year…..I am trying to speak (type) it into existence!!!

Please, I am begging, someone in the know…please tell me that plumbers neck double wide will be available in left handed??? We missed out on the OG double wide last year…..I am trying to speak (type) it into existence!!!
You could switch to putting RH like I do (play lefty putt righty). Then you can use ALL the putters ;)

But if it hasn't been answered by then, I will try to find out for you in a week and a half! (If I'm allowed to say once I find out that is)

Was thinking about getting a White Hot OG #1 for Christmas. Should I hold out for the Tri-Hot version instead?

Was thinking about getting a White Hot OG #1 for Christmas. Should I hold out for the Tri-Hot version instead?
Without a doubt yes. Everything about new line is better than OG to me

Abso-freaking-lutely you should wait for whatever is coming lol

If you're 100% into a blade putter, it would be worth the wait for the potential line that may have been seen on tour already and mentioned by @vgolfman above. Just saying :)

This makes me wonder if the success of the Frontline series caught Odyssey's attention. Cleveland will never be competition in the putter realm, but have to imagine they've grabbed some market share with the Huntington and Frontline series, because they're incredible values.

My Tri-Hot 3 showed up today. I got fit into both of it's predecessors - the OWorks 2 some years ago and the Stroke Lab 3 at the Grandaddy. So I felt like it was a pretty safe blind buy.

I'm a huge, huge fan of the Ping Zing shape and I'm glad they went to that style of bumpers in this release. I've only been able to roll a few putts on the carpet, but I'm really impressed. The weighting feels just about perfect, I like the stock grip, and there's something to the design in terms of stability. It definitely feels more stable on slight mishits than either of the putters I've used before. I was hitting my lines with it pretty easily with it. It's just a comfortable shape for me.

I'll update with pictures once I can get some better light. But I'm itching to roll it some more, which is a good sign.

Back