Odyssey X-Act Tank Chipper Preview

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Odyssey bringing the chipper back and it's built to get you up and down.

Key Notes
Available - July 15th
Lofts - 37* and 46* RH only
Cost - $129.99

Details
Using their Tank weighting philosophy, Odyssey brings a new short-game option. Called an Approach Putter, the goal is to eliminate issues that versatility can bring and with their design both in alignment and weight, brings an element of comfort to those that want a simple solution that just works.

Features
Heavy Tank Design
The heavier 355 gram head weight helps ensure a smoother swing to promote more consistent contact. The heavier grip gives a counterbalance feel that helps quiet the hands through impact.

X-Act Sole
Hybrid-like sole design improves turf interaction around the green, especially on tight lies, to help eliminate stubbed or bladed chip shots.

Polymer Insert

The single layer polymer insert provides soft feel for both long and short shots around the green.

Hi Def Marxman Alignment System
Two alignment stripes running the length of the club that make lining up shots easier for better accuracy.

Superstroke Chipper Grip
The oversized, non-taper grip design helps stabilize the wrists and hands through impact.
The longer design also allows you to put your hands in different positions to get the correct feel on a variety of shots.

i-3Sg8kqq-M.jpg

i-qhF9Nnv-M.jpg

i-Fn6TXnk-M.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm could this eliminate the need for a chutt?!?!

I've never thought, "man I wish my 8i or PW had an oversized putter grip"

equipment "innovation" truly is cyclical

Looks and sounds interesting. I remember seeing clubs like this in the past but never tried one.

I used one of these a long long time ago, well it was a two sided chipper. It worked well but it was very limited in what it could do. I'll be interested in seeing how this one performs.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

One of the guys that I've partnered with for league this year has a chipper and he loves it. I didn't expect to see a new one be introduced though.

The informercial video isn't loading, Tapatalk issue??

If we order it in the next 10 minutes, does it come with free shipping and a chipping guide by Roger Cleveland?? But wait, there's more....

There are a few guys in my league who use chippers - I could see the Tank philosophy working in this club since they tend to just stab at the ball.

However, not a club I see going in my bag, though it would be fun to give a few swings with at a demo day.

I've known a few guys who have had similar clubs in their bag and loved them. I know short game is the most important part of the game but I just can't see using one of the spots in my bag for a club like this where it has limited versatility.

I used to use one of these when I first started playing. I liked it, I think this could be a stroke saver for some!

I love chutters lol I think they are fun and quirky.

Interesting to bring out a chipper. I'm sure the weighting and forgiveness will be a boon to a lot of players. When I started out, I put a Lynx chipper in my bag for a bit, but ended up pulling it out since it was such a "one trick pony" for me. Still though, I think a lot of golfers who may struggle around the greens a bit would benefit from this chipper.

I think this will be a win for them. Everyone I know that has a club similar to this seems to do really well with it. And then everyone else in the group immediately wishes they had one. I'll be passing on this one, as I already have a Smart Sole C collecting dust in my staffer, but for the right person, I see these being a big help.

When i see a club like this i instantly think of the chippers on the rack at Wal Mart

I think this club is a mistake, the "chipper" already has a bad/cheap perception, comes across cheap and now you have it associated with Callaway/Odyssey. I think it will have a short life and will be a 1 time deal.

Hmmmmmmm...interesting that one of the biggest OEMs would try this. What club do you replace in your bag? It's a very gimmicky golf club. I hope they have a great marketing plan. I just don't see this working out for them.

there's a market/need for a new one of these? golfsmith has pretty inexpensive ones, i think from their house brand macgregor iirc.

Hmmm could this eliminate the need for a chutt?!?!

Don't you dare say that!

I guess the Odyssey name would attract folks who have wanted to try these. Maybe it gives the club some respect having a strong brand name. I guess folks would/could be less embarrassed to used a chipper with Odyssey on it rather than Niblick or Bomtech or whoever still makes these.

For me, no thanks. Feels like desperation to me, kind of like having a ball retriever in your bag. But hey, if you want to try it and it works for you then more power to you. its all about making the game more enjoyable so have at it IMO.

I think this club is a mistake, the "chipper" already has a bad/cheap perception, comes across cheap and now you have it associated with Callaway/Odyssey. I think it will have a short life and will be a 1 time deal.
I don't think I disagree, but I do think that you and I perceive "chipper" differently than maybe the non-THPer once-a-month golfers out there. I had a guy in my golf league ask me if I had a chipper, and when I said yes and brought it one week for him to try, he kept asking me how to hit flop shots with it. He was obviously clueless in regards to the green side terminology of "chipping" and "chipper" and thought it was just some magical short game tool.

They certainly have place and can help a lot of people.

I would like to try such a club. I often find myself quite close to green and quite often use 8-pw for low chips when I have some green to work with. I am not sure if it would make it to the bag, but will try to find a club to try

I don't think I disagree, but I do think that you and I perceive "chipper" differently than maybe the non-THPer once-a-month golfers out there. I had a guy in my golf league ask me if I had a chipper, and when I said yes and brought it one week for him to try, he kept asking me how to hit flop shots with it. He was obviously clueless in regards to the green side terminology of "chipping" and "chipper" and thought it was just some magical short game tool.

I tend to agree with this.
Cleveland has shown success in the C wedge, and before that the Niblick line and has nowhere near the presence of Odyssey.
We watched Koske use it at the Gauntlet, and it was pretty awesome seeing what he could do with it.

I know both War Eagle and I played the Cleveland Niblick with great success and we both hang in the single digit category, but are also a bit different than many golfers on message boards.

Interesting to see Odyssey coming out with this. A bit different than what Cleveland has done over the last few years.

With that said, I'd play it, because....why not? With only 13 clubs in the bag I have an extra spot.

Heavier tank weighting is interesting in this one, as well.

One of the older guys in our league still uses one, said he has always been more consistent with it.

I wasn't aware the market place was calling for the relaunch of this club.

Back