Off Course: Shaft Flex and Club Building

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Off Course is back this week with a fantastic show. Hosted by Dan Edwards each Friday he gives you a deep look into the world of golf and equipment in a way unlike any other podcast has done before. Today Dan welcomes Jason Horodezky from Kinetixx Shafts to the show to talk Kinetixx Shaft Flex and an array of topics surrounding golf shafts in general.

It wouldn’t be Off Course without some tangents, but Jason joins the show to discuss Kinetixx, provide a shaft boot camp of knowledge and so much more. This show has a lot going on and it is an episode you will not want to miss as equipment Jason Horodezky goes Off Course.

Episode 71 is here and Dan and Jason Horodezky discuss the following topics.

Long Drive
Kinetixx Golf Shaft Flex
Club Building Mistakes
And so much more

Continue reading...

Daycare back in session... travel time is perfect to pop on the podcast missed a lot of them.

Listening now and to the part about using Tungsten Powder! THANK YOU!
Been saying this for a while now.

The last time you had Jason on was one of my fav episodes. Listening to him is awesome. It almost requires a dictionary to look things up. Learn so much.

love it! I am curious to know more about why no swing weighting is no longer needed. Or did I hear that wrong?

Wait wait wait…. Why less taper in a grip?! How does that reduce variability? I agree on the firmer grip and that is what I prefer in cord grips.

But I am not sure I understand that reduced taper?

The last time you had Jason on was one of my fav episodes. Listening to him is awesome. It almost requires a dictionary to look things up. Learn so much.

love it! I am curious to know more about why no swing weighting is no longer needed. Or did I hear that wrong?

I have a lot of takes on this subject, that probably differ for the reasons Jason believes it. But using an ancient system to create precision through a set when shafts, heads and grips are built so differently now makes no sense to me. I agree with Jason wholeheartedly. We see this idea of "add weight back" to get to swing weight and I find that crazy based on the current design philosophy of shifting small amounts of grams and the impact it can have.

Good job, @Canadan Jason’s comments were enlightening and make me feel even more fortunate to have received a Kinetixx shaft for THP testing.

Also, I’m now reconsidering the idea of adding a couple more wraps to my grips.

Last edited:
Goodness the club building fire dropped right out the gate.

Holy cow there was a lot of information packed in there. I’m going to need to go back and listen again to try and fully grasp everything Jason was saying. Love the look of the Kinetixx shafts!

I'm amazed Jason has chosen golf shafts as an outlet for his intelligence, but I'm here for it.

I'm amazed Jason has chosen golf shafts as an outlet for his intelligence, but I'm here for it.
Heh ... no kidding. And I'm right here with ya.

I'll admit when he started talking about too much epoxy and over prepping I couldn't help thinking that @MWard subscribes aggressively to that logic.

I am not sure how to get the right amount. Was he saying you just add the amount of powder needed to your mix to assemble the head? I always have extra epoxy when I mix it for a build. I am not sure how to control getting the right amount to get the desired swing weight.

This doesn't mean I put way too much in the build itself just that I always mix extra and keep it around to see how it sets.

Thrilled you guys are enjoying this - Jason has created spectacular discussion both times on the show.

Hopefully he doesn't mind being a regular, because I feel like we've barely scratched the surface with him.

Thrilled you guys are enjoying this - Jason has created spectacular discussion both times on the show.

Hopefully he doesn't mind being a regular, because I feel like we've barely scratched the surface with him.
I hope so. So many follow up questions... so curious to hear how he feels about pureing.

I hope so. So many follow up questions... so curious to hear how he feels about pureing.
Maybe in a couple months I'll see if he wants to get back on the show to answer listener questions. I bet you guys have a lot of them.

Tuning into this now! Last time he was on was great information.

I have a lot of takes on this subject, that probably differ for the reasons Jason believes it. But using an ancient system to create precision through a set when shafts, heads and grips are built so differently now makes no sense to me. I agree with Jason wholeheartedly. We see this idea of "add weight back" to get to swing weight and I find that crazy based on the current design philosophy of shifting small amounts of grams and the impact it can have.

makes sense. But follow up. Swing weight is really just a balance point measurement right? So matching swing weights just means they will all feel similar so to similar balance point numbers.

we have all picked up a club and thought. Dang, this feels heavy. What we are most likely feeling is the swing weight or balance point. Static weight is mostly likely very close to average for all clubs.

makes sense. But follow up. Swing weight is really just a balance point measurement right? So matching swing weights just means they will all feel similar so to similar balance point numbers.

we have all picked up a club and thought. Dang, this feels heavy. What we are most likely feeling is the swing weight or balance point. Static weight is mostly likely very close to average for all clubs.
This is where it gets a bit challenging for me, because we really didn't touch on extremes. No grip building or tip building for significant shifts in swingweighting, only really about the application regardless of depth.

For me, I've built many, MANY sets in my basement, have not swingweighted a single one, and function just fine out there. I definitely sense a difference between 90g and 130g, but finite variances in a set of irons with same shafts are totally lost on me.

Yes, except by doing so (and only my opinion) that would mean you would want the balance point measurement the same in all of your clubs, yet you choose shaft parameters differently in driver let's say and wedges because you want them to do different things. So adding weight to one side to "trick" the swing weight to be equal is not ideal in my opinion.

And I am not sure I agree on the second part. There are a lot of REALLY light shafts say in the 40 gram range that you can make feel really swing weight light or heavy based on just adding weight or taking it away from one end. Statically, picking them up they will feel light, because they are light.

Yes, except by doing so (and only my opinion) that would mean you would want the balance point measurement the same in all of your clubs, yet you choose shaft parameters differently in driver let's say and wedges because you want them to do different things. So adding weight to one side to "trick" the swing weight to be equal is not ideal in my opinion.

And I am not sure I agree on the second part. There are a lot of REALLY light shafts say in the 40 gram range that you can make feel really swing weight light or heavy based on just adding weight or taking it away from one end. Statically, picking them up they will feel light, because they are light.

you probably right on the second part. Hmm. Now I am if we should have 3 different swing weights in our bag. Wood swing weight iron swing weight, and wedge swing weight.. maybe a fourth in putter swing weight..

This is where it gets a bit challenging for me, because we really didn't touch on extremes. No grip building or tip building for significant shifts in swingweighting, only really about the application regardless of depth.

For me, I've built many, MANY sets in my basement, have not swingweighted a single one, and function just fine out there. I definitely sense a difference between 90g and 130g, but finite variances in a set of irons with same shafts are totally lost on me.

yeah. I kinda agree is doesn’t matter too much but something crazy is telling me in my brain it does lol..

many ways super fun listen..

I haven't finished the whole podcast but one concern I would have is not being able to reuse a shaft. If I spend $300 on a shaft and get a different head I want to try it in I like to be able to pull the adapter and put a different adapter on it. It seems that Kinetix recommends not doing that.

I'll admit when he started talking about too much epoxy and over prepping I couldn't help thinking that @MWard subscribes aggressively to that logic.

That feels unfair. 1 bottle of epoxy feels like a fair standard for a shaft. You know what doesn't fail and go flying off? A CLUB WITH WAY TOO MUCH EPOXY, DANIEL.

Great episode, with a lot of good information for us home club builders.
I think his thoughts on not reusing shafts would work now in the age of all woods having adapters but it would be a problem in irons.
I used to be a “too much epoxy” person, but now I realized if I use good epoxy it just takes a couple dollops.

Back