Ohio Golf courses closed...now reopened

We see risks differently as I won’t leave home to buy food or other supplies as they are easily delivered from numerous sources and I avoid exposing myself to hundreds of other people that have been recently in the store. Walking and biking outside far away from others is a risk I’m willing to take. Heck it’s statistically safer than driving to the store where I might get killed in a car accident. I’m disappointed that so many share your logic and are frequenting stores when most of them could easily have things delivered if they have access to a computer or smartphone.

how do you get meat and produce delivered to your house ?
We’ve been doing curbside pickup at our grocery store and Target for essentials.

Why are you guys so scared of this in Ohio? I mean it’s unsettling but it is like a completely different world here to Charleston. No one in SC is too freaked out by it and it is spreading quite slow

Why are you guys so scared of this in Ohio? I mean it’s unsettling but it is like a completely different world here to Charleston. No one in SC is too freaked out by it and it is spreading quite slow
I bet it's not quite 'no one' but I have no doubt States have various levels of fear on it.

how do you get meat and produce delivered to your house ?
We’ve been doing curbside pickup at our grocery store and Target for essentials.

Cub Foods which is local to MN and a delivery from Target today that included hamburger, chicken and fresh produce. My wife signed up for a delivery service a couple weeks ago that will pick up from places like Target and charges I think $99 per year for unlimited delivery. Target is easy with the delivery service because they have almost everything. Someone at our country club got clever and allows us to call in and order meat and produce and pick it up curbside later in the day or next day. The can even get prime steaks that most supermarkets don’t have and tomorrow I’m picking up baby back ribs and some NY strips.

Cub Foods which is local to MN and a delivery from Target today that included hamburger, chicken and fresh produce. My wife signed up for a delivery service a couple weeks ago that will pick up from places like Target and charges I think $99 per year for unlimited delivery. Target is easy with the delivery service because they have almost everything. Someone at our country club got clever and allows us to call in and order meat and produce and pick it up curbside later in the day or next day. The can even get prime steaks that most supermarkets don’t have and tomorrow I’m picking up baby back ribs and some NY strips.

Ah got it. Our Target won’t sell groceries as part of their curbside service (already tried) and ours doesn’t offer delivery either.

Ah got it. Our Target won’t sell groceries as part of their curbside service (already tried) and ours doesn’t offer delivery either.

I probably have a lot more options than most living in a metro area that has 3.65 million people. Besides Cub and Target, we have Whole Foods, Jerry’s and a few other grocery stores that delivery and are all less than 4 miles from our house.

that is pretty naive to think that nobody in the entire state of SC is worried about Covid.

my brother lives 2 hrs south of me here in OH and he said they are breaking sales records at the Lowes he works at. Said people back in my hometown area are not taking it as serious. So it comes in pockets I guess depending on where you live. I live near Cleveland in a more populated area that he does and it’s definitely taken seriously.
But beyond that it’s stories like Karl Anthony Towns mom who got it. Was completely fine one day (assuming relatively young 40’s or early 50’s) and she’s now in a medically induced Como struggling for her life. My Dad is 74 so I worry about him and also I have a family with 3 young ones. The more I can do to prevent exposure the better I’ll feel about things.

Why are they doing this? Asking genuinely.
I didn't ask.

Not trying to make enemies a 1/4 mile from my house hahaha, and I know nothing I would have said would have been reasonable.

I think that’s an appropriate use for the phrase “Covidiots”

I didn't ask.

Not trying to make enemies a 1/4 mile from my house hahaha, and I know nothing I would have said would have been reasonable.

you’d think given the size of that house, that the people living there had to be semi intelligent or at least had some common sense.

if we talk to our neighbors now outside we stay in our own back yards and just talk across the lawns to each other.

I didn't ask.

Makes sense.
Just seems like the norm, and related to my 3 things earlier. People seriously Confuse the shot out of me.

My neighborhood currently. Same county that won’t allow four people play golf together by the way.

View attachment 8934204
Sorry, that picture just illustrates why people apparently aren't getting it and some idiots will be endangering themselves and others on the courses even if responsible ones like you won't. Crowding each other, touching pins and such, picking up stray balls or those on a range, playing while unwell are some that come to mind. I also read a post in another thread where idiots were just recently doing a tailgate party in a course parking lot. ( I don't agree with stopping course maintenance, especially one guy out there. That's nuts.)

You have shared other examples in this thread where social distancing or common-sense isn't happening in your town: overcrowded downtown, people overcrowding on walks and parks. Sure take some fresh air, but stay the expected distance from each other, go to a less popular spot or just around your block if you need to do it. It sounds like stronger messaging and measures might be indicated if your County isn't going to get into a crisis.

In BC we had some popular areas where people were overcrowding ind we had to restrict them and get stronger messages and possible penalties put in place. We are generally taking it very seriously here and the streets are empty compared to usual and essential stores are keeping distancing and restricting numbers. Yes there are a couple of courses still open but I expect they will be told to shut down very soon.
As I shared in the other thread our curve seems to be flattening, but that doesn't mean we each give up some sacrifices and maybe setting an example too that includes NOT golfing now.

Last edited:
you’d think given the size of that house, that the people living there had to be semi intelligent or at least had some common sense.

if we talk to our neighbors now outside we stay in our own back yards and just talk across the lawns to each other.
I can tell you that during our walks we have to actively get out of the way of other people, otherwise they would clearly treat it like any other day.

This is why I have such a problem. Going into the downtown of our suburban community (so not like... Cincinnati downtown) and people are basically crowding the social spaces. It's notably worse down there than what image I just posted.. And no entity is out there enforcing anything.

Sorry, that picture just illustrates why people apparently aren't getting it and some idiots will be endangering themselves and others on the courses even if responsible ones like you won't. Crowding each other, touching pins and such, picking up stray balls or those on a range, playing while unwell are some that come to mind. I also read a post in another thread where idiots were just recently doing a tailgate party in a course parking lot. ( I don't agree with stopping course maintenance, especially one guy out there. That's nuts.)

You have shared other examples in this thread where social distancing or common-sense isn't happening in your town: overcrowded downtown, people overcrowding on walks and parks. Sure take some fresh air, but stay the expected distance from each other, go to a less popular spot or just around your block if you need to do it. It sounds like stronger messaging and measures might be indicated if your County isn't going to get into a crisis.

In BC we had some popular areas where people were overcrowding ind we had top restrict them and get stronger messages and possible penalties put in place. We are generally taking it very seriously here and the streets are empty compared to usual and essential stores are keeping distancing and restricting numbers. Yes there are a couple of courses still open but I expect they will be told to shut down very soon.
As I shared in the other thread our curve seems to be flattening, but that doesn't mean we each give up some sacrifices and maybe setting an example too that includes NOT golfing now.
Telling a private golf club they cannot remain open to 15 minute tee times with NO amenities, range, practice green, or cart service available while ignoring basically ALL other social spaces is pure ignorance, there is no other way around it. I note the term 'private' because it's a collection of members who are relatively familiar with each other, and that reduces the potential for some ignorant idiot to show up and ruin things.

They are doing more harm in that than good by closing that, and leaving everything else as is. I am safer on my golf course than I am in my local park or downtown. That's an absolute reality based on what I saw (from afar) today.

Our governor in NC has issued a shelter in place order starting Monday at 5pm for all personnel that are considered "non-essential." I'm with @Canadan with the selective enforcing and picking who and what is considered essential is completely ridiculous. Liquor stores, car dealerships (sales and service), office supply stores, gas stations, and public parks are all open. Team and contact sports are prohibited. The silver lining for us, is golf courses are to remain open as long as social distancing is kept. It's only a matter of time before they don't allow golf courses to remain open.

Thats awful walking countless places and nobody has the decency... Golf courses were at least legit open spaces.

It’s a circus in Ohio. I run an appliance parts shop. We’re considered ”essential”. We are doing ”curbside service” as others are. But the gun shop next to me is open. :rolleyes:

Has been that way in the UK for the past week, and no signs of anything changing at all anytime soon. We’re being told now that this lockdown could last 12 weeks or more 😫

Our governor in NC has issued a shelter in place order starting Monday at 5pm for all personnel that are considered "non-essential." I'm with @Canadan with the selective enforcing and picking who and what is considered essential is completely ridiculous. Liquor stores, car dealerships (sales and service), office supply stores, gas stations, and public parks are all open. Team and contact sports are prohibited. The silver lining for us, is golf courses are to remain open as long as social distancing is kept. It's only a matter of time before they don't allow golf courses to remain open.

Based on what I saw on the course yesterday, I’m betting sooner rather than later. :mad:

I am pretty annoyed by this. My course did everything they possibly could to accommodate with the expectations.

While I respect the need for social distancing (and actually take it very seriously), eliminating areas that can clearly accomplish this is beyond my tolerance level. I've been in my development after work each evening this week, and I've been around parks. I would argue that golf courses are significantly safer because on the actions I've seen.

What a mess.
I walked 18 at Skyland Pines in Canton on Thursday. I was able to play without touching anything but my stuff, I mean I literally touched NOTHING else. I've supported most of Gov Dewine's decisions to date, but this may be over the top. Regardless, we'll get through it, no other option.

Back