Once again, cancer sucks...

I hear and read all these sad stories of how cancer sucks and how it has impacted so many people, and each time I can't but thank God how lucky my wife and I have been with cancer. Perhaps our experiences will provide some hope to those recently diagnosed, that it is normal to think the worst when first diagnosed, but that isn't always the case.

I was diagnosed with Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (CLL) in January 2014 when I had to have every test under the sun to be OK'd for my first knee replacement. My blood work came back with an elevated white blood count, and I got the news in a phone call from my PCP that I had CLL. I was referred to a hematologist/oncologist who I see every three months for blood draws and other occasional tests to monitor the progress of the disease. So far, I have been "stable" from the time of that diagnosis and am still in what is referred to as Stage 0, Watch and Wait, no treatments of any kind to date.

Just a few years ago, my wife found a lump in one of her breasts. Numerous tests, scans, biopsies, etc., diagnosed it as cancerous. She was presented with several options including a mastectomy, a double mastectomy or a lumpectomy, and she chose the latter, hoping it was that localized. The surgery was performed, and a lymph node was taken from under her arm to see if the cancer had metastasized, It had not! She did have to have a second lumpectomy as the margins were not clean after the first one. To date, she goes for periodic checkups, takes medication to include an infusion and thankfully the cancer has not returned.

Being diagnosed with cancer is not an immediate death sentence, though my SIL died quickly after being diagnosed, and a niece is fighting peritoneal cancer which is almost impossible to get rid of. She has taken a number of chemo sessions, but her numbers aren't good enough for a surgery that could possibly extend her life.

Cancer does suck!

Yesterday I had my yearly Head and Neck CT with contrast at Mayo Jacksonville. Its been since March 2020 that I had my surgery at Mayo and May 6th 2020 was my last radiation treatment for my stage 4 head and neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma and this morning my Oncologist at Mayo called and told me, NO Signs of Cancer or bone (jaw) degeneration. Wow great news.

Last edited:
Yesterday I had my yearly Head and Neck CT with contrast at Mayo Jacksonville. Its been since March 2020 that I had my surgery at Mayo and May 6th 2020 was my last radiation treatment for my stage 4 head and neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma and this morning my Oncologist at Mayo called and told me, NO Signs of Cancer or bone (jaw) degeneration. Wow great news.
That is awesome news!!!!! #survivor.

Frickin awesome!!!!!!!! Congrats.

I see something I don’t like. I see pictures with the C word that look uncomfortably similar. I’m calling 8am Monday to be seen. I am mostly not panicking - don’t actually know anything. But … not cool. Hoping I can report back reasonably soon with a False Alarm, but TBD

I see something I don’t like. I see pictures with the C word that look uncomfortably similar. I’m calling 8am Monday to be seen. I am mostly not panicking - don’t actually know anything. But … not cool. Hoping I can report back reasonably soon with a False Alarm, but TBD
Fingers crossed

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

I hope it is nothing but your imagination. Self diagnosis is seldom correct! Wishing you the best, Cap!

Good luck

I always recommened these few words, 'When in doubt Check it out'. Being proactive with your health as one ages is so important these days.

Last edited:
That is awesome, great to hear. My wife is a beast cancer survivor, it's great to hear of someone beating the big C.

I received some bad news last night. I was expecting it, but it still hits you like a ton of bricks. My father’s cancer has come back and is more aggressive. 3 months ago, he was basically fine. Now, he has cancer in his throat, lungs, chest, and liver. We talked for a while and he’s decided not to seek treatment for it. Which is sad, but I understand.

I received some bad news last night. I was expecting it, but it still hits you like a ton of bricks. My father’s cancer has come back and is more aggressive. 3 months ago, he was basically fine. Now, he has cancer in his throat, lungs, chest, and liver. We talked for a while and he’s decided not to seek treatment for it. Which is sad, but I understand.
Prayers to your father and family. Cancer sucks man. My Dad has been dealing with Lymphoma for the past 4 years and it's taking a toll on him in the skin.
Stay strong brother.

Same thing happened with my dad. He decided not to do anything further. It was hard to take, but I totally understood. Hang in there.

So very sorry to hear this. Prayers forthcoming.

My heart drops every time I see this thread pop on the new posts list. 👊

I’m so sorry to see this. Cancer took both of my parents, some 40 years apart. Wishing you peace during this difficult time. All the best, amigo.

That is awful news. My aunt made the same decision after going through years of treatment. Wishing you and your family all the best.

I'm so sorry to hear this. Having lost my wife to cancer this year, I know the agony of the decision and the pain and the sadness of what's in front of you. However, I will say, sometimes you know the time has come. If that's his decision take solace knowing that he likely is saving himself and you from additional suffering. I know those are just weak words in this time, but I hope you and he can spend quality time together, however much is left. My heart goes out to you both.

Prayers for you and your family.

FIL just went into hospital after feeling weak and unable to walk. He has been fighting Lymphoma the past 4 years now it looks like he developed a large tumor on his brain. Biopsy in a few days but prognosis is not good.🙏
FIL is finally at peace after a rough few months. Thanks for all your prayers!

I’m sorry to here this Steve. Think of you and your wife during this time,

We’ll be thinking of you, your wife and family, good thoughts and vibes, my man,

Sorry to hear this @Steve2100 , you have our thoughts!

Back