One Length Irons Thread: Join the Revolution

I got the idea from a post on here, but I think I am going to have a 3 wood and 7 wood at 5 wood length to go with my RadSpeed one length irons!
I thought this over constantly for like 3 days!
I think you will really enjoy that! Ask if you have any questions on some of the little details of doing that.

My full bag will look something like:
RadSpeed XB 10.5*
RadSpeed 14.5* fairway playing at 5 wood length
RadSpeed 7 wood playing at 5 wood length
4h one length
5-GW RadSpeed one length
Undecided 54* and 58* cobra one length wedges

RadSpeed XB 10.5*
4h one length
5-GW RadSpeed one length

Now thats a full send on the revolution! Love it!

RadSpeed XB 10.5*
4h one length
5-GW RadSpeed one length
I like it. Mine is going to be very similar. It's going to be fun taking the forum on the OL journey with us.

RadSpeed XB 10.5*
4h one length
5-GW RadSpeed one length

Looks like a great setup(y)

Curious if any other OEMs are thinking of joining Cobra in this, is it odd that they haven't dipped their toes into this new market?

This market is hardly new. F7's released in early 2017 if I remember correctly. I hate to be the anti-revolution guy but if the big guys, i.e. Callaway, Taylormade, Titleist, etc. haven't released a set yet, they're likely not going to. I'd be perfectly content if Cobra kept releasing them even though I see a time here in the next few years where interest will wain and they might stop manufacturing them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm totally behind the revolution but I know we golfers are a fickle bunch.

Really looking forward to seeing all the MC bag setups and their effect on the revolution.

Its not ordering time yet, you'll see when the puckering begins :ROFLMAO:
Indeed. I'm now leaning very strongly towards OL. To the point that, unless my fitter tells me they're a bad fit for me, I'm feeling that will be the way I'll go. But I won't really know until it's time to put my money down ;)

Curious if any other OEMs are thinking of joining Cobra in this, is it odd that they haven't dipped their toes into this new market?
Probably insufficient market share. Not nicking Cobra. They're a fine brand. But it would be nice if their were more choices.

This market is hardly new. F7's released in early 2017 if I remember correctly. I hate to be the anti-revolution guy but if the big guys, i.e. Callaway, Taylormade, Titleist, etc. haven't released a set yet, they're likely not going to. I'd be perfectly content if Cobra kept releasing them even though I see a time here in the next few years where interest will wain and they might stop manufacturing them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm totally behind the revolution but I know we golfers are a fickle bunch.

It would be hard to not call Cobra one of the big guys, considering off course, they outsell one of the ones you listed there.
I will go the exact opposite and say you are correct, it is not new, considering Bobby Jones used single length and Tommy Armour released EQL decades ago. With that said, based on the growth of the segment over the last 12 months, I see zero chance it goes away.

It would be hard to not call Cobra one of the big guys, considering off course, they outsell one of the ones you listed there.
I will go the exact opposite and say you are correct, it is not new, considering Bobby Jones used single length and Tommy Armour released EQL decades ago. With that said, based on the growth of the segment over the last 12 months, I see zero chance it goes away.

Cobra is definitely one of the big guys, I was only answering the question about the other OEM's, hence naming Callaway etc.

Reactions: JB
I like it. Mine is going to be very similar. It's going to be fun taking the forum on the OL journey with us.

This will be interesting an informative for forum members. I respect the choice of the OL and I truly appreciate your willingness to take the forum along on your OL journey. I will be following along.

I’m very close to buying a set of OL Speedzones, but I’m worried about lie angle. In my demo day fittings, I uniformly get put in +1/2” with standard lie (which varies from 62-63 degrees, depending on manufacturer). With my Beginner clubs, I have a standard lie and length and pull the clubs routinely about 6 degrees left. Keep the lie standard, and increase by 1/2“ and the pull mostly disappears. The speedzone already increases the length 1/2” (37.5 seven iron instead of 37). But the lie angles get more upright for a six and 5 iron. Does that mean I will still be plagued by left pulls?

Also interested in what people do when they re-grip the clubs. If you go to anything other than the Cobra connect grips, you lose a1/2”. Is there an easy way to compensate? Or are the Cobra grips readily available?

I’m very close to buying a set of OL Speedzones, but I’m worried about lie angle. In my demo day fittings, I uniformly get put in +1/2” with standard lie (which varies from 62-63 degrees, depending on manufacturer). With my Beginner clubs, I have a standard lie and length and pull the clubs routinely about 6 degrees left. Keep the lie standard, and increase by 1/2“ and the pull mostly disappears. The speedzone already increases the length 1/2” (37.5 seven iron instead of 37). But the lie angles get more upright for a six and 5 iron. Does that mean I will still be plagued by left pulls?

Also interested in what people do when they re-grip the clubs. If you go to anything other than the Cobra connect grips, you lose a1/2”. Is there an easy way to compensate? Or are the Cobra grips readily available?
I wouldn't worry too much about the lie angle, they are progressively engineered throughout the set. Got with what you were fit in the 7 and don't overthink it.

The Cobra connect adds 1/4".
The connect grips are easily available if you want to replace them, but not every type of grip is available with them.

i pulled the trigger and order the radspeed OL irons today. i guessed i joined the revolution.
Can't wait to hear how they work.

RadSpeed XB 10.5*
4h one length
5-GW RadSpeed one length
Zack....love this. I was thinking 5W and 4H for me, but get 3 wedges instead. Wedges I would go with my current setup, 52*, 56*, and 58*. I would get the 52/56 in versatile 12 bounce, and 58 would be widesole.

FWIW I currently game 4H and Callaway Heavenwood, so the 5W would match up close to the HW.

Zack....love this. I was thinking 5W and 4H for me, but get 3 wedges instead. Wedges I would go with my current setup, 52*, 56*, and 58*. I would get the 52/56 in versatile 12 bounce, and 58 would be widesole.

FWIW I currently game 4H and Callaway Heavenwood, so the 5W would match up close to the HW.
Are you going to update to the RADSPEED? How have you enjoyed the Speedzone OL?

Are you going to update to the RADSPEED? How have you enjoyed the Speedzone OL?
I am torn. I for sure am going to test the forged tec out, but for forgiveness I am probably leaning more towards the RS.

As for the SZ's I absolutely love them. I have them in 8i length with the catalyst shafts and like the feel. I hit them well, but have not seen the difference in my score. Now that my irons are shining, my driver has suffered a bit. Last weekend when I played everything was coming together but we played a course that basically every hole was bunker protected, so hit a lot of great shots that were pin high but I was in the bunker.

It also helps that I created a hitting bay in my garage. It is mainly setup to hit full iron shots, so when the family goes to bed I try to put in 20-30 swings every other night. That alone has helped me tremendously with just consistently striking the ball.

Let me start by saying the title is done in jest, but meant to be fun. For those that listen to Off Course, you probably heard I am taking a One Length Challenge so to speak and thought a fun thread to document the process would be interesting and others that are doing so can jump in or if you have questions feel free to ask away.

Some brief history. I am one of the few that played the EQL set of single length irons decades ago. It was my second John Hoeflich design as I played Tommy Armour 845 irons prior to that. They were in a nutshell not great and I ended up back in variable length for decades until now. I dabbled in each of the last few Cobra One Length offerings and even jumped into an Edel Single Length briefly, but with each one, I ended up going in a different direction.

Fast forward to now and I have a set of Cobra RADSPEED One Length in the bag for several weeks now and I have not missed a beat.

I had thought about a two length set previously playing longer irons at the 7 iron length and then shorter irons at the 9 iron length, but after spending time with some very smart people, decided against it. I am of the belief that One Length should not be just a fix to make long irons shorter and then want variable everywhere else. The goal to get one swing, for all of the irons and wedges that you full swing makes a ton of sense in my weird brain.

I had a thought of going a little shorter however, since one of my major hurdles previously was the wedges in 7 iron length. So speaking with Mike Yagley at Cobra and Facetiming with their fitters, we settled on a length that was roughly my 8 iron in my previous set of irons and the Cobra RADSPEED One Length are paired with a custom set of UST Mamiya Recoil Proto 95s in F4. For those into the club making side of things, yes a shim was needed and swing weight might need to be altered for some (easy fix with their new system).

First range testing in the THP Tech Studio, it was a little weird not standing further from the ball based on the club in my hand. To combat that, I placed all of the clubs sole down and just grabbed and hit, without knowing what was what on the simulator range. Sorting out the distances afterwards, but doing so just to get comfortable with it. My set is 5-GW in irons, a 4 RADSPEED One Length Hybrid and a 56 degree One Length Wedge. What I I found is none of them really bothered me at the 8 iron length and where I thought I would have concerns, in the PW, GW and 56, it was not really an issue at all in terms of comfort.

Now that the comfort was out of the way, I put them to the test on the course as well as dozens of range time in the Tech Studio. One Length was starting to really show some light as I had no gapping issues at all and more importantly to me, saw a launch and ball flight I was very happy with. To get another perspective, I had THPer @JDax come to the Tech Studio, as he has never tried One Length before and with no warmup, just start playing and he too, confirmed that gapping was no issue.

Rounding out my set I did add one variable length 62 degree wedge. Its a wedge I use around the greens and never full swing it, so have no concerns there.

This thread will serve as a journey of sorts for me to share my thoughts and data and review the Cobra RADSPEED One Length irons. Get ready for a fun ride and you might just be joining the revolution soon. Here are a few images and a lot more will be coming throughout this thread.

View attachment 8978792

View attachment 8978795

View attachment 8978794

View attachment 8978793
What’s the deal with the Prototype shaft??

What’s the deal with the Prototype shaft??

Which prototype shaft? The ones in my irons?

They are UST Mamiya Recoil Proto which is part of their line.
Our THP Experiences always come with equipment for every participant and in the last one we did with UST Mamiya, they made custom shafts to go in the iron set that everybody received.

Back