One Tour Banning Belly Putter...For Now

2 more questions. 1. How tall are you and 2. do you find 43" suits you well for your height....

This wasn't to me, but since I am getting the Belly Putt extension device in a couple days, I am expecting to go about 40 or 41 inches, just putting a ruler to the end of my normal putter and taking a stance. I am 5'7".

I'm glad, tired of seeing long and belly putters. Blah

MattyCaulk Aka Hawk hunter

If Robert Garrigus used a belly putter, would it be a standard 35" putter?

This wasn't to me, but since I am getting the Belly Putt extension device in a couple days, I am expecting to go about 40 or 41 inches, just putting a ruler to the end of my normal putter and taking a stance. I am 5'7".

How long do you think I'd have to go being 5'10"?? 44"?

How long do you think I'd have to go being 5'10"?? 44"?

I dunno. just take a ruler and put it at the end of the putter and tak a stance. Mine was just a guess, hopefully I'll know for sure soon.

Should be easy enough for those with access to the stats to work out if the BP skews the recent results. Putts per round numbers surely? I have no problem with BPs being used - I don't want golf turning into Nascar - with everyone having identical equipment. Whats next, inserts, backstrykes?

At the end of the day, the player has to read the line, swing to hit the ball on that line correctly, and get the WEIGHT spot on for the perfect putt. Putter, belly putter, or frying pan - its still the man holding it that has to get the ball in the hole.

2 more questions. 1. How tall are you and 2. do you find 43" suits you well for your height....

I'm 6'0". The length seems to suit me. I am still working on finding the sweet spot as far as shaft anchor location. This is more of an experiment for me than a permanent switch.

I think shape of the belly would play a role in sizing more than height. 6 pack from beer, shorter. 6 pack from situps, longer.

I think shape of the belly would play a role in sizing more than height. 6 pack from beer, shorter. 6 pack from situps, longer.

That was too damn funny :laughing:

good one! ... does having a bigger belly give one a competitive advantage? :act-up:

Gray:

I experimented with both the belly putter and ski pole style putters when my stroke went south.. more like toilet bowl swirly. I was real comfortable from 10 and in but lag putts were horrendous for a long time. Ultimately I ended going back to a conventional length putter.

Alex

BTW... I'm not saying that I'm like Phil.

Why not play two putters? 15 feet and in belly and outside of that a conventional one...
I sort of say this as a joke but it's not the dumbest idea in the world. Especially if your bag has room for a 14th club.
I putt with a conventional putter and look at the hole while putting. I feel this is really good for me inside of 20-25 feet and then starts to break down. I'm toying with going with a conventional setup outside of that range or looking at a point only 20-25 feet in the distance while putting instead of the hole for a long putt.
We all tweak our games and the belly putter issue seems no different. Some advantages some disadvantages (from what people are saying)
I've only briefly tried long putters and it was when I walked into the San Carlos golfsmith after having just transitioned to looking at the hole while putting and it basically didn't matter a hoot what was in my hands... I putted well with everything I picked up... So I figured I'd stay with my old putter rather than plop $200-300 for a new one... Then 6 months later I was "forced" to by a putter as I went on a trip and left my putter at home. Went relatively cheap with the $129 Method Core MC-3i and the handle is a littlle longer than my old putter (35 instead of 33 inches). Works about the same, but I realize on the shorter putts I feel more confident with the shorter putter.
The whole craze is making me think I should try the belly putter on for size again (but I bet the results will be the same).

^^^^^ I thought you couldn't use two different putters on the green? Once you used 1 thats what you had to stick to. Or am I incorrect?

Bulldog, I'm pretty sure you could have 14 putters in your bag and use any of them any time you like.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Bulldog, I'm pretty sure you could have 14 putters in your bag and use any of them any time you like.

The rest of your game would be in trouble, but you'd have a putter for every situation! haha.

Unless you're Jamie Sadlowski who can hit a putter 300 yards. (The whole video is cool, but jump to the last 30 seconds for the putter part)

Not saying you couldn't carry 14 putters, but once you are on the green, I believe you can only use 1. You can change them by hole, but not by putt.

Not saying you couldn't carry 14 putters, but once you are on the green, I believe you can only use 1. You can change them by hole, but not by putt.

Why not? You know this is a rule or just think this is a rule?

Why not? You know this is a rule or just think this is a rule?

This was told to me a few years ago by one of the pros at my course. I haven't ever had a situation of multiple putters per green come up, so no, I can't say I know it as a rule. Let me look it up and see if that pro was right or just being...well, himself. He was whacked....

I looked at the USGA site, but can't come up with anything. I did email them the question though.

I looked at the USGA site, but can't come up with anything. I did email them the question though.

Thanks smalls. I was going to do the same, but you already did it for me :D

How pathetic.

Frank Nobilo, Brandel Chamblee and Mark Rolfing just agreed that the USGA and R&A made a mistake by ever allowing players to anchor long putters against their bodies.

On the wrap-up show after The Tour Championship, they called for the anchoring of putters against a player's body to be banned. They did say they think there should be separate rules, and regular joe amateurs should still be allowed to use putters this way.

Frank Nobilo, Brandel Chamblee and Mark Rolfing just agreed that the USGA and R&A made a mistake by ever allowing players to anchor long putters against their bodies.

On the wrap-up show after The Tour Championship, they called for the anchoring of putters against a player's body to be banned. They did say they think there should be separate rules, and regular joe amateurs should still be allowed to use putters this way.

Well aren't THEY just the authority. Innovation happens, in everything. Belly putters shouldn't be illegal. End of story.

It's way too late for that now.

Back