If you're wanting an Ooni Koda, you'll either need to go secondary / used market or not mind a wait. They're currently on backorder through the end of March. I've been looking as well. :)

damn that’s wild - @BigDill post more pictures lol

damn that’s wild - @BigDill post more pictures lol
I’m planning on breaking it out for New Years. We made a bunch of pizzas on Christmas Eve day for lunch. One ripped and now my oven looks like a crime scene inside.

I will get one ... some day!

I’m planning on breaking it out for New Years. We made a bunch of pizzas on Christmas Eve day for lunch. One ripped and now my oven looks like a crime scene inside.

Definitely going ot need pics

If you are not dead set on the look of the Ooni, and don’t mind making 12” pizzas (which are way easier, TBH) then the Roccbox is a good option and way easier to find these days. For me I liked the look of the Ooni. But I have used both and the Roccbox is very good as well.

Seeing @JB post those pizza pics reminded me that I forgot to post the last time I fired this up. For this one I used publix bakery dough because I was golfing and didn’t have time to make my own before I left. I’m starting to get the hang of this, but it certainly takes some getting used to.

ED9C1886-97E7-4648-BC97-37964E9C7D2A.jpegFF04ECEC-5F97-4C3D-B858-0474064813CE.jpeg8C2ACC16-9612-42E3-B4F2-EDEFEE1BDD02.jpeg

I received my Ooni yesterday. We are having some friends over tomorrow, so today I did a test run.

I burned the crap out of that thing. Should have done about 5 more minutes of YouTube videos before doing the exact opposite of what is recommended. A failed experiment is still science if you learn from the results. Can only go up from here.

I received my Ooni yesterday. We are having some friends over tomorrow, so today I did a test run.

I burned the crap out of that thing. Should have done about 5 more minutes of YouTube videos before doing the exact opposite of what is recommended. A failed experiment is still science if you learn from the results. Can only go up from here.
What specific issues are you having? Burnt top with raw dough? Burnt on one side? Burnt bottom? Maybe I can point you in the right direction.

Last edited:
What specific issues are you having? Burnt top with raw dough? Burnt on one side? Burnt bottom? Maybe I can point you in the right direction.
I appreciate the help. I botched so many things it’s a little comical. I started with too big of a pie, and too far back, and too high of a flame. I also didn’t have a good peel. I couldn’t maneuver it out there quickly enough. It was like choosing to play Bethpage Black from the tips.

For starters I think I just need to start with a smaller pie and pick up a better peel to be able to move it around easier.

We had a good laugh at the hockey puck that came out. Better pizza is ahead!

I appreciate the help. I botched so many things it’s a little comical. I started with too big of a pie, and too far back, and too high of a flame. I also didn’t have a good peel. I couldn’t maneuver it out there quickly enough. It was like choosing to play Bethpage Black from the tips.

For starters I think I just need to start with a smaller pie and pick up a better peel to be able to move it around easier.

We had a good laugh at the hockey puck that came out. Better pizza is ahead!
That is a fantastic analogy. Starting out, I would suggest making pizzas no larger than 12 inches. They are way easier to move inside. Eventually you will want to get a turning peel. It also makes it easier to move inside.

Turn the Ooni on and let it heat up for at least 20 minutes. 25 is better. The stone needs a good amount of heat to cook the dough fast enough so that the toppings don’t get burned. Put enough flour on the peel so that the pizza slides. I usually test it in the kitchen to make sure it doesn’t stick in one spot.

When I am ready to launch, I will turn the heat down to 25% or less. I’m not out here trying to make speed pizzas. They still cook in like 5 minutes. I will also move it to the left after about 2 minutes and start rotating it every 20 to 30 seconds. If you leave it in the back and to the right, the two flame bars will burn that side of the crust too quickly.

I have three cheap bamboo pizza peel so use to make pizzas and launch them, and then use the good peel to spin them and get them out. That way I can have many pizzas ready to go. I got mine at Bed Bath and Beyond, but they look to be sold out. It’s like this one:https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...VeGxvBB22KQeuEAQYAiABEgKITvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Best of luck, there is certainly a learning curve and some art to it. If all else fails, or if you want a fun starter while you knock out pizzas, grab some premade pizza dough and toss it in naked for a couple minutes. Then top it like a flatbread. We make a Greek one with hummus and lettuce and feta, etc and I think it’s our favorite item from the Ooni overall.

That is a fantastic analogy. Starting out, I would suggest making pizzas no larger than 12 inches. They are way easier to move inside. Eventually you will want to get a turning peel. It also makes it easier to move inside.

Turn the Ooni on and let it heat up for at least 20 minutes. 25 is better. The stone needs a good amount of heat to cook the dough fast enough so that the toppings don’t get burned. Put enough flour on the peel so that the pizza slides. I usually test it in the kitchen to make sure it doesn’t stick in one spot.

When I am ready to launch, I will turn the heat down to 25% or less. I’m not out here trying to make speed pizzas. They still cook in like 5 minutes. I will also move it to the left after about 2 minutes and start rotating it every 20 to 30 seconds. If you leave it in the back and to the right, the two flame bars will burn that side of the crust too quickly.

I have three cheap bamboo pizza peel so use to make pizzas and launch them, and then use the good peel to spin them and get them out. That way I can have many pizzas ready to go. I got mine at Bed Bath and Beyond, but they look to be sold out. It’s like this one:https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...VeGxvBB22KQeuEAQYAiABEgKITvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Best of luck, there is certainly a learning curve and some art to it. If all else fails, or if you want a fun starter while you knock out pizzas, grab some premade pizza dough and toss it in naked for a couple minutes. Then top it like a flatbread. We make a Greek one with hummus and lettuce and feta, etc and I think it’s our favorite item from the Ooni overall.
Good stuff - thanks.

Fired this oven up for the first time in a while. Pizza and some flatbreads incoming.
257740CA-9911-4B04-A8E4-4A7D2CB175A8.jpeg

It’s difficult to get it cooked through without burning the edges, especially with store bought dough. I’m losing my technique, but I’m sure it will come back the more I use it now that the weather is cooling off.
7B19E9A0-68EA-45A5-A4A0-0E177EF72F5E.jpeg

A little avocado flat bread action…
AFCFA405-1A3F-4193-82B8-69FB32664FB2.jpeg

Think I may pull the trigger on an Ooni. All you Ooni users out there still enjoying them?

I have had one for a few months and love it. I did make a modification that I read about online. Removed the stone that came with it. Put a 6" lazy susan bearing with a 16" circle stone in it's place. Didn't mount anything permanently. (I did remove the zinc from the bearing and lubricated it with dry graphite. Now I just use a metal scraper to rotate the stone instead of moving the pizza. Works great and helps keep the bottom in full contact of the stone while it's cooking.

Think I may pull the trigger on an Ooni. All you Ooni users out there still enjoying them?
Love it. Its super fun just for nomal pizza but can also cook with it other ways. Great talking point when hosting as well

Ooni is planned as part of the house rehab on the patio...

We debated the Ooni vs. Roccbox and eventually decided on the Roccbox. It is a nice heavy well-built cooking machine. We chose the smaller Roccbox because we figured since everyone always wants something different on their pie the smaller size oven would work well. We usually make a 10" pie and plan on a 2 minute or less cook at the 900 degree temp. As others have said it is a lot of fun and is extremely popular for backyard gatherings. The Roccbox site has links to many videos which gives you a lot of ideas. I honestly don't think you could go wrong with any of the major ovens on the market. I have a propane model since I have mine at our place in the mountains and do not have NG but rely on 1000 gal propane tank.

I still love mine and would pick the Koda 16 again if I had to do it over again. The wood fueled one is good but it’s so much more difficult to get an even bake.

We absolutely love ours. We have the propane one. Cooks in like one minute. Really fun and good.

We ended up ordering the Ooni Koda 16 and should have it sometime this week. Pretty excited to give it a try!

Back