Optical illusions in golf swing pictures

Is the shaft I'm playing too soft?

I refuse to answer this as THP is like home to me :banana:

Is the shaft I'm playing too soft?

I refuse to answer this as THP is like home to me :banana:

Rofl!

I use Tapatalk.

Doesn't look right to me. If it is right you are delofting your PW by about 50 degrees.

Is this normal?

Is this normal?

Serious golfers use Tapatalk.
185e5493-f765-6c1b.jpg

Just wondering if this is normal or is my shaft kicking forward to soon in my swing? My ball flight is where I want it and goes as straight as I could hope for about 80% of the time. However, I'm thinking if my shaft is kicking forward too soon in my swing then I could be losing distance off the tee. Not that I think I'm some crazy power hitter, but it just looks odd that my clubhead is getting near my legs when my wrists are still cocked parallel to the ground and haven't released at all yet.

Shaft in the swing is Diamana Blueboard Stiff on my R11.

What you are seeing is an artifact due the digital camera and how it takes pictures. That shaft bend is not what it really looks like. I copied this from another forum:

Jello Effect. High speed video cameras that use a rolling shutter are known to produce some distortion, the Jello Effect, because different parts of the frame are captured at different times. For example, the top elements may be exposed earlier than the bottom elements. Still, each element/pixel of the sensor is exposed for just the shutter speed of, say, 1/5,000 sec. Cameras that use a global shutter capture all areas of the frame at the same time and do not exhibit Jello Effect. Some or all of the Casio cameras are CMOS cameras and probably have some degree of image distortion depending on how the sensor array is readout.

Getting information on the distortions produced by particular models of cameras is more difficult than finding descriptions of the Jello Effect, rolling shutter or global shutter on the internet.

I recently purchased a Casio FH100 and wanted to know how much it distorted my images. To check this, the camera at 240 fps viewed a rotating disc with a thin straight white bar across the diameter. The bar extended across the camera's field of view. At 550 RPM or 3300 degrees per second, the straight bar appeared considerably curved. The curve caused the end of the bar at the bottom of the frame to appear roughly 7 degrees ahead of where it would have been if the image of the bar had remained straight.

The arm/golf club does not rotate around the shoulder as fast as the tested bar. A 100 MPH golf club head located 5 ft from the shoulder rotates about 1700 degrees per second. The test bar rotated at about 3300 d/s and a golf club rotates at about 1700 d/s so the bar was twice as fast as the golf club. I would expect the club bending to be about half that of the test bar if the shoulder were in the middle of the frame and the golf club head at the bottom – club head leads by 3.5 degrees. That's for a Casio FH100 at 240 fps. This was a quick preliminary test and first estimates.

Both club bending and camera artifacts are probably present in your swing picture but I believe that most of your extreme curve is from the camera. As suggested by others this can be checked easily by turning the camera upside down, repeating the video, and then comparing the direction of club bending with the camera upside down to bending with the camera right side up. If the images show the same bending then the club is bending. If the bend reverses then it is an artifact produced by the camera.

Seems we were recently down this path........

Seems we were recently down this path........

I just asked if this was normal. If there was another thread about it feel free to merge. Your comment didn't really answer my question though.

Funny pic. Thats some serious lag or anti-lag. Clubhead reaches ball before hands even uncock. Glad you guys figured this one out as I've taken some vids lately trying to clean up my act.

I just asked if this was normal. If there was another thread about it feel free to merge. Your comment didn't really answer my question though.

This is normal. It's also an optical illusion. There are a few threads on this, I will try to find them. But tomorrow, I am just catching up on threads right now!

With a thread title like this...I had to see what was inside ;)

Dude, optical illusion or not...that's some monster lag! Ball going straight, you're 100% normal and fine. Keep pounding it.

Driver shaft at impact

Driver shaft at impact

If you were to take video and slow down the frame rate what should the shaft look like at impact?
Assuming you have the proper fit shaft and club is released at the proper point.

I believe it would look pretty straight. Hopefully leaned forward, and from what I've seen possibly bowed backwards a very slight bit.

Thanks for the quick reply

It depends on the type of equipment you have. High speed will give you what it is. Lesser cameras do top down capture. Each row is captured successively. Hard to explain but a quick google search of shaft flex golf swing. Here's a picture of me I'm 99% sure my shaft doesn't flex like that.

626ccf6c-46e8-0cf1.jpg

Photo taken by D_in_La

It depends on the type of equipment you have. High speed will give you what it is. Lesser cameras do top down capture. Each row is captured successively. Hard to explain but a quick google search of shaft flex golf swing. Here's a picture of me I'm 99% sure my shaft doesn't flex like that.

Photo taken by D_in_La

It does NOT bend like that. It's an optical illusion and has been discussed many times on this forum.

It does NOT bend like that. It's an optical illusion and has been discussed many times on this forum.

Yes that's what I was saying. Thanks smallville.

i've heard it bends inward (like the head bends toward your feet) but i doubt that actually happens..

I don't think bending of the shaft is not an optical illusion, but it actually bends like the picture above. The level of bend will be different, but I think I saw it bends via high speed camera somewhere, which I don't remember...

i've heard it bends inward (like the head bends toward your feet) but i doubt that actually happens..

I don't think bending of the shaft is not an optical illusion, but it actually bends like the picture above. The level of bend will be different, but I think I saw it bends via high speed camera somewhere, which I don't remember...

It does not.

Nope it doesnt - check this out :

Drag the pointer to 1:23 and you'll see the contact point - shaft is straight... All SwingVision videos show it up as they are captured at a very high frame rate...

Back