Optical illusions in golf swing pictures

Still photo of Tommy Gainey:

TommyGainey-Face-Impact-Driver.jpg

Also, Youtube is your friend, just search "driver slow motion face on" and you'll get a ton of results. One example is JB Holmes, who is one of the fastest swingers on tour:

i've heard it bends inward (like the head bends toward your feet) but i doubt that actually happens..

Yes, this is referred to as "toe droop." This is why drivers have more upright lie angles than three woods as the driver has a lot more toe droop than any other club in the bag. This is also why a set of fitted irons will have the toe above the ground at address.

c6e4c820-f004-6fb6.jpg

Looks like this

Ha! Was jut thinking about this when I captured this still image of me on the range yesterday!

%5BUNSET%5D.png

Shaft flex (pictures)

Shaft flex (pictures)

Hi everyone,
I searched for this a bit and can't find any real good answers so mods if this exits Im sorry and you can merge it also if this isnt the right subforum please let me know.

I picked up the RBZ 3w with a stock stiff shaft that I usually hit pretty well, but always low trajectory and when I miss its a straight snap hook.

All swing issues aside, I downloaded a "high speed" video capturer for my new ipad I just got and took a few videos and slowed them down to single frames and noticed a massive bend in the shaft on the later part of my down swing and was hoping for some incite if this is the normal amount the shaft deforms or if I should consider a stiffer shaft option. If it helps I can upload the whole 11 second clip
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370579056.845558.jpg

I also hit my TM rescue 11 with the stiff shaft and have similar results, not quite as much bend but I can feel this little bit of difference as its a rare mishit with the hybrid and it feels like much better impact than the 3w and I'm not sure if its because of the shorter shaft, or just an easier club to hit.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370579193.068319.jpg

Hopefully both the images work, tapatalk hasn't always been my best friend. Any input will be greatly welcomed.
Thanks!

Since these pictures weren't taken with a real high speed camera, this is a shutter "glitch". That's not what is actually happening.

If it's digital, there's also the scan line effect where the images are taken in lines usually starting from the top and working down. On high speed targets this will cause it to be distorted.

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk

Since these pictures weren't taken with a real high speed camera, this is a shutter "glitch". That's not what is actually happening.

It was recorded with 1080p HD but I'm not really all that "techy" when it comes to cameras but you have a very valid point. I have a high speed back at home ill take out next time and see if they agree. Thanks for the tip!

Yep, camera issue, not a shaft issue.

It was recorded with 1080p HD but I'm not really all that "techy" when it comes to cameras but you have a very valid point. I have a high speed back at home ill take out next time and see if they agree. Thanks for the tip!

Resolution isn't the same thing as shutter speed.

Yep, camera issue, not a shaft issue.

Also most likely a swing issue as well. To my mind, just knowing what happens to me when I get the snap hooks, casting may be the reason.

If it's digital, there's also the scan line effect where the images are taken in lines usually starting from the top and working down. On high speed targets this will cause it to be distorted.

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk

Thank you! I Really no nothing about cameras but now that this has been pointed out ill assume the shaft is fine and rest easy haha

Also most likely a swing issue as well. To my mind, just knowing what happens to me when I get the snap hooks, casting may be the reason.

Now that this has been certified a camera issue... Do I dare ask what casting means?

Now that this has been certified a camera issue... Do I dare ask what casting means?

You're releasing the club to early. The clubhead is beating the hands to the ball. That's how it's been describes to me.

Merged with existing thread.

You're releasing the club to early. The clubhead is beating the hands to the ball. That's how it's been describes to me.

Interesting, that would absolutely make sense, I've completely eliminated the slice from my game with my driver/wood and miss now is either snap hook or snap hook; ill have to pay more attention to timing and hopefully can start to hit the ball long with more confidence. Glad it's nothing I need to spend more money on haha thanks for the advice!

Looks like a casting problem to me. You're getting the shaft "whip" too early because of the loss of lag.

The fact that the club is at a 90* angle means you didn't cast the club. The shaft bend is due to your camera, as it has been stated.
Based on the images you provided, you are too crowded or short arming the delivery into the ball. Your shoulders are extremely compressed and there is one move here and that's to come up and out of the swing. As the club moved left and you come out of the swing, you'll see a slice or high rights.

The fact that the club is at a 90* angle means you didn't cast the club. The shaft bend is due to your camera, as it has been stated.
Based on the images you provided, you are too crowded or short arming the delivery into the ball. Your shoulders are extremely compressed and there is one move here and that's to come up and out of the swing. As the club moved left and you come out of the swing, you'll see a slice or high rights.

Hi thanks, but one thing quick, when you say short arming the delivery, what is meant by that? Also I should note that by ball flight with this club is very low, and if anything it goes left, and its a very rare miss right but when it does go right it's the only time the ball has any height to it. For reference, when it goes right it's average height for a 3w but my normal shot with it doesn't go more than 100ft in the air.

As far as the compressed shoulders go that's something I'm aware of and am working on, I tore my rotator cuff in my left shoulder last winter and its not fully back to 100% yet and my mind tells my body to stay square but it doesn't like to listen on my longer clubs so i have been combating it with extra wrist movement right before impact for now but once my bodies back in full golf season ill put extra time into that. Thanks for the help!

Its the camera...if thats a still from a video then the camera is not recording at a fast enough frames per second...you need to get something that will record at around 240 frames per second or higher to capture the club properly.

Hi thanks, but one thing quick, when you say short arming the delivery, what is meant by that? Also I should note that by ball flight with this club is very low, and if anything it goes left, and its a very rare miss right but when it does go right it's the only time the ball has any height to it. For reference, when it goes right it's average height for a 3w but my normal shot with it doesn't go more than 100ft in the air.

As far as the compressed shoulders go that's something I'm aware of and am working on, I tore my rotator cuff in my left shoulder last winter and its not fully back to 100% yet and my mind tells my body to stay square but it doesn't like to listen on my longer clubs so i have been combating it with extra wrist movement right before impact for now but once my bodies back in full golf season ill put extra time into that. Thanks for the help!

Your rotator cuff bothers your swing? Careful..
Well if you hitting low and left, you're still coming up and out but flipping hands through impact. The left shoulder should back and not up. Try to extend the right arm down the line through and after impact. If you're able then you've stayed down and through.

happened to me too, it's because of the camera

Distortion or not, the picture shows that your wrist angle has already started to break down. Just my 2 cents worth....

Back