Ouch! Multiple high school players DQ'd due to scorecard...

Rambler

Reaction score
Handicap
9.9, so 10
ALWAYS follow the rule sheet. ALWAYS.

Ouch, do HS matches usually switch tee boxes from hole to hole?

Ouch, do HS matches usually switch tee boxes from hole to hole?

Nope, another reason they should have known better.

As a HS coach, I have no sympathy for them.

ALWAYS follow the rule sheet. ALWAYS.

Agreed. The blue tees could have been at 95 yards for all it mattered. You play the stated tee! If you're really confused and there happens to be a coach from any team nearby, ask him for clarification or if he can find out so a mistake like that isn't made. Sucks that it wasn't just one player, but SEVERAL players at that :/

The executive director of the Oregon School Activities Association said that players and coaches were made aware that they were to play from the blue tees, stating: “It is the first bullet point on the rules sheet."

Yeah, its hard to have sympathy for that. I bet they'll forever be very careful about tee boxes and rule sheets!

Doh! Gotta pay attention. Playing the same tees the entire round is not rocket science

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rules sheet says play from the blue tees, but they then play a hole from the red tees?!

No sympathy from me if they can't follow what it says on the rules sheet

Hard lesson to learn for sure.

It might sting right now but this could provide some very valuable life lessons as they move toward adulthood. Hopefully their mentors choose to present it as such. The rule sheet seemed clear enough, someone opted to over ride it due to yardage discrepancy. Bad choice.

Tough love but they should have followed the rules.

I could see if they were playing a combo tee or something and the wrong yardage got copied onto the event scorecard, but if the event says "play the blues" you shouldn't even look at the card when walking up to the tee. As others have said, good learning experience.

big bummer there

Maybe its just me, but the fact that three groups did it before the officials stepped in to make sure another group didn't do the same thing, I imagine there's more to the story. Now, had groups also played the blue tee correctly, I'd say they were just dumb. But the first three groups all make the same mistake?

In what world would you tee off from the red tees when the rules says blue. Who even looks at scorecard yardages anyways? This is on them

Maybe its just me, but the fact that three groups did it before the officials stepped in to make sure another group didn't do the same thing, I imagine there's more to the story. Now, had groups also played the blue tee correctly, I'd say they were just dumb. But the first three groups all make the same mistake?

It's a tournament, and a par 3, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bit of a backup. First group does it, the second sees them teeing off from the wrong tees, assumes that's what you're supposed to do, then it all repeats itself. I could see it happening.

In what world would you tee off from the red tees when the rules says blue. Who even looks at scorecard yardages anyways? This is on them

The same world where high schoolers look at a tide pod and say, “hey that looks kinda fun”

Rules officials can't be everywhere in a HS tournament. Most are simply three person committees (who are coaches at the tournament and maybe a course pro) who rule on any issues that come up, not seek issues out.

This is totally on the players.

If you're told to play the blue tees and you play from anywhere else, you're an idiot.

I wonder if there wasn't a kid or two that knew the course and where they normally played from that made an adjustment or thought they should be playing where they did... then after that, follow the leader...

Sucks but gotta pay attention kids...

Wild that there were 12. Almost as if there was miscommunication from the coaches to the players.

It's a tournament, and a par 3, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bit of a backup. First group does it, the second sees them teeing off from the wrong tees, assumes that's what you're supposed to do, then it all repeats itself. I could see it happening.
I can see how groups 2 and 3 could see the group ahead teeing off from the closer tees, which are aligned with what the scorecard says, and think "huh, must be right".

Still should have reached out to a coach or other official before following in their footsteps, but it's not hard to see why they did it.

This is totally on the players.

If you're told to play the blue tees and you play from anywhere else, you're an idiot.

"your an Idiot" is a bit harsh for some school kids don't you think?
I mean if they intentionally became conveniently stupid is one thing, but making a mistake out of uncertainty is another.

Am I reading it wrong or was the wrong yardage on the scorecard?

So the yardage from the Red Tees was somehow put as the yardage from the Blue Tees?

I can see the confusion but they should have asked a rules official before procedure, but High School kids don't have that much foresight.

Honestly I would have allowed them to play that one hole again. I can also see the confusions there. Someone screwed up on the score card. With that the kids were uncertain and imo should have ben given the opportunity to replay that one hole. I mean technically they didn't really play it because it wasn't the same hole from the correct yardage.

Back