Dan, you'll be surprised how little effect a surgery will have on him and how fast he is back to normal. Both of mine had something done before age 2, and they don't know to worry about it.

Good luck with the surgery on the little on Canadan's. Like others have mentioned they bounce back so quickly at that age.

Happens to about one in every five babies. What makes him a boy (PC enough? aahaha) start in the kidney area and travel south before descending. There are two holes that seal most of the time but in some cases do not seal, causing hernias. This case it means elective surgery (non-emergency) to seal the holes permanently.

It's not fun, absolutely.... but there are much MUCH worse things.

I actually had a similar surgery when I was born, fixed by military docs in 1980, I came through it just fine (despite the general consensus about military Docs) I'm sure little man is in great hands!

Dan, you'll be surprised how little effect a surgery will have on him and how fast he is back to normal. Both of mine had something done before age 2, and they don't know to worry about it.

It's such an interesting world, watching him and the docs. Laura and I both were determined to get him fixed immediately, but it's so common and non-life threatening that it was hard to deal with how casual everyone spoke about it.

I guess that's just me being a Dad. We're really happy that they turned around an opportunity to get on the schedule so quickly. Even though it's not life threatening, and even though the surgery in total will leave no scars or problems moving forward, we're just eager to have him at 100% again. Makes it easier on the soul I guess.

Good luck to your little man Canadan. They bounce back so quick when they're little, thankfully. It's nerve wracking for us, but they usually tend to soar right through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck to your little one Dan. It definitely will be easier when he is little and won't remember anything. Even with it being a somewhat routine procedure I can imagine the stress it brings. Having a son that has had a few issues I just keep saying it makes them stronger in the end!

So true...way, way, way more stressful on the parents. My little guy was tongue-tied and had to get snipped by an ENT when he was just a couple months old. My wife was in tears during the procedure but he won't know it ever happened until we tell him when he gets older.

So true...way, way, way more stressful on the parents. My little guy was tongue-tied and had to get snipped by an ENT when he was just a couple months old. My wife was in tears during the procedure but he won't know it ever happened until we tell him when he gets older.

Our younger son had exactly the same thing done about two years ago. What an incredible difference it made for him in both speech and eating issues!!

Good luck to your little one Dan.

Our younger son had exactly the same thing done about two years ago. What an incredible difference it made for him in both speech and eating issues!!

That's good to hear. I'm glad we got it done when he was so young.

haha thanks guys. I've joked with the wife about this part being left out of nearly every conversation I've had about having kids, but I understand why. The highs always outweigh the lows, as long as the lows aren't in the present. He still makes me so happy every time I hang with him.

Also, daz, I'll take annoyed over terrified any day!

I remember a talk with a friend of mine who was having a kid about four months before us. Was telling him about the nervousness waiting for each development stage, etc. It came down to "At what point do I stop worrying" and the answer was "Never". You will always worry about your child ... it is what makes one a good parent. You just learn to live with it.

Hope the surgery is uneventful! Those are the best kind!

Dealing with doctors is getting extremely frustrating. Our youngest has been congested with a runny nose for the past 8 months. He'll get a fever at daycare and have to come home, so we have to take him to the walk in or his regular pediatrician before he can go back. They keep saying it's a daycare thing and he'll get better, and prescribe something that doesn't work (except amoxicillin for ear infections). I get that kids in daycare get sick often. Our first kid was sick all the time, but not for 8 months straight. Youngest was sent home Monday with a fever of 101, took him to the walk in, they said he was wheezing when breathing. So they prescribed him a steroid and albuterol. Kept him home Tuesday and yesterday and his temp was OK. Here we are today, get another call that his temp is rising above 100 and they'll keep an eye on him. WTF is going on??? This can't be just chalked up to daycare, can it? I'm so over him being sick, and I'm sure he is as well.

Dealing with doctors is getting extremely frustrating. Our youngest has been congested with a runny nose for the past 8 months. He'll get a fever at daycare and have to come home, so we have to take him to the walk in or his regular pediatrician before he can go back. They keep saying it's a daycare thing and he'll get better, and prescribe something that doesn't work (except amoxicillin for ear infections). I get that kids in daycare get sick often. Our first kid was sick all the time, but not for 8 months straight. Youngest was sent home Monday with a fever of 101, took him to the walk in, they said he was wheezing when breathing. So they prescribed him a steroid and albuterol. Kept him home Tuesday and yesterday and his temp was OK. Here we are today, get another call that his temp is rising above 100 and they'll keep an eye on him. WTF is going on??? This can't be just chalked up to daycare, can it? I'm so over him being sick, and I'm sure he is as well.
It almost sounds environmental. As in it is the daycare, but not like we normally mean.

Too young to have a gluten allergy? I know some kiddos that were older and parents always complained of them being sick. One tested for the gluten allergy and she took 'em all off it. Says they are night and day better now.

Love her.
3bce98a9bb494ed03f07268dbfd88ebe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She's adorable!

I'll have to explore the gluten allergy suggestion. Had to pick him up from daycare and take him to the walk in again today. Doctor said bronchiolitis, or RSV, this time.

I'll have to explore the gluten allergy suggestion. Had to pick him up from daycare and take him to the walk in again today. Doctor said bronchiolitis, or RSV, this time.

Do explore it. I think it's a blood test. May end up not being it but at least you'll know and can scratch it off.

I love Rodeo season. Go Texan Day!

bcad1f98fc60ad81644df9aadd820767.jpg

Today my 10yo is getting 4 teeth pulled to prepare for braces. I remember when I had 2 teeth pulled in jr high for the same reason, I was a nervous wreck.

Not my son, though.

He came bounding down the stairs this morning telling "Woo hoo!!!! No school, milkshakes for lunch, and PS4 all day!!!! Today is going to be awesome!!"

Keep up that attitude, kid. Let's hope he feels the same once we leave the oral surgeon's office :D

Can you guys elaborate on what exactly this was? My little one has pronounciation issues, and eating issues, and I keep thinking it's some kind of nasal issue...

Can you guys elaborate on what exactly this was? My little one has pronounciation issues, and eating issues, and I keep thinking it's some kind of nasal issue...

Sure - the short version is that under your tongue there is a piece of tissue that connects your tongue to the bottom of your mouth called the frenulum. Where the tissue is and how big it is can limit how far you can move your tongue both out and around.

For my son, his tongue movement range was limited to where he couldn't use it to reach all his teeth on the inside or outside which caused him to not be able to get stuck food for one, and it made certain sounds difficult for him to make. When he tried to stick his tongue out, it made a W shape because the frenulum was so tight. Having this tissue clipped allowed for more movement from his tongue and helped him be able to develop the sounds better and (with the help of some feeding therapy) has allowed him to reintroduce some additional food textures that he had been avoiding.

I am not looking forward to the teenage years with my girls.....EPIC meltdowns this morning over nothing..... Ugh!!!

I am not looking forward to the teenage years with my girls.....EPIC meltdowns this morning over nothing..... Ugh!!!
Right there with you brother! My girls have been really bad these last few months. Just crying about anything. It's tough a lot of times and I know it gets to me but I have to learn to be patient and let them know why crying about things is not the right way to go about it.

Back