Templet0n

washed...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
snow..
One thing that I just can’t stand and triggers me more than anything else is double standards and hypocrisy..

The tour is collecting millions in sports betting. Will have sports books at events next year, then does this.. it’s ridiculous..

Seems like these betting incidents are becoming increasingly more common across sports. There is currently a scandal developing in Italian football, too. Two players have been suspended for multiple months.

I get the heavy punishment. Once you lose credibility as a sport with regards to manipulating or doping, it is very tough to recover from that financially.

I dont see why betting on a Tour you are not on is something to suspend someone for.

This is the door they opened because they wanted the revenue. It was expected.

I dont see why betting on a Tour you are not on is something to suspend someone for.
The korn ferry is a an extension. The basically are on “the tour”. It’s like a AAA affiliate.

Seems like these betting incidents are becoming increasingly more common across sports. There is currently a scandal developing in Italian football, too. Two players have been suspended for multiple months.

I get the heavy punishment. Once you lose credibility as a sport with regards to manipulating or doping, it is very tough to recover from that financially.
Agree , takes years to build reputation, and moments to destroy it .

The korn ferry is a an extension. The basically are on “the tour”. It’s like a AAA affiliate.
I know that, but what I am saying in a roundabout way is this; They arent betting on events they are playing in, so why should it be a suspendable offense?

Sensical or not, they had to have known this wasn't ok. Do people completely forget about Pete Rose?

I know that, but what I am saying in a roundabout way is this; They arent betting on events they are playing in, so why should it be a suspendable offense?
I get you and I mostly agree. Which is why I think it is hypocritical for the league to collect add dollars and sign sponsor deal but keep the players for chasing in as well.

I agree with you.

I get you and I mostly agree. Which is why I think it is hypocritical for the league to collect add dollars and sign sponsor deal but keep the players for chasing in as well.
Agreed, cashing in on ad dollars, essentially encouraging gambling, and then to slap a suspension because someone gambled is so backward.

I think also , in a game that the individual broadly
self administers rules and judgement . Honour and etiquette .

That the disconnection between what maybe “ vice” in some way , by the individual is less palatabe, than by the authority / management

Agreed, cashing in on ad dollars, essentially encouraging gambling, and then to slap a suspension because someone gambled is so backward.
Isn’t every sports league taking ad dollars and suspending players betting on the sport they play?

Isn’t every sports league taking ad dollars and suspending players betting on the sport they play?
Or just for gambling in general.

I think also , in a game that the individual broadly
self administers rules and judgement . Honour and etiquette .

That the disconnection between what maybe “ vice” in some way , by the individual is less palatabe, than by the authority / management
Plus, unless you are in first place I a tour event. it’s not like a team event that a player tanking can move money lines.

I disagree with you.

They weren't suspended for betting. It seems like they're allowed to bet on football, baseball, basketball, etc. They just can't bet on golf.

The Tour is taking ad dollars for betting. That is true. But the rule is you can't bet on golf if you're being paid to play golf. You can't have any leeway here. The competition has to stay above suspicion of any kind. If there's ever a question of what we watch on the weekend being scripted, then it's game over for that sport.

And I dont think the solution is setting a rule that you can bet except for the tour you're currently on. What about events you're not actively playing in? Or any majors you might not have qualified for? It's easier to set a blanket rule of "Don't bet on golf."

All sports it seems, not just PGAT. I get both sides of the argument. The players should know the rules though, even though I may not agree with them.
Totally agree. They should know the rule . I don’t think sports leagues should be able to collect from sports betting if players can’t.

Totally agree. They should know the rule . I don’t think sports leagues should be able to collect from sports betting if players can’t.
So you think players should be allowed to bet on the sport/league they are in?

The NFL suspends players longer for gambling then basically anything else other than murder.

As others have mentioned, the idea that players are gambling on their own sport compromises it's integrity. They have to be incredibly strict on this. So i don't really have an issue with it.

These guys can gamble on 100 other things, fantasy football, basketball, monkey knife fights....just not golf. It's not a huge ask

Sensical or not, they had to have known this wasn't ok. Do people completely forget about Pete Rose?
Yes they should but Pete Rose was a different situation in that he bet on games he was managing

Pro athletes should not be betting on any sports, much less their own sport. I Have zero issue with this. As a sports better, it only works if there is integrity in the game.

Yes they should but Pete Rose was a different situation in that he bet on games he was managing
While yes, 100%…but didn’t he only bet on them to win?

Either way, my point is athletes should understand there are rules and not do that.

So you think players should be allowed to bet on the sport/league they are in?
No, I don’t. I am simply saying I think it is hypocritical for a league that makes a lot of money from sports betting on their league, to punish players for sports betting on their league.

Pro athletes should not be betting on any sports, much less their own sport. I Have zero issue with this. As a sports better, it only works if there is integrity in the game.
What about the league? The league who hires the officials? Sets up the courses, selects tee times and pairings.. you are ok with this league collecting from sports betting? Why is it the players that have to have integrity and not the league or organization?

Back