Here's where your logic falls through. In a "friendly" game, the only money at stake is that which is bet among the group. There is no "purse" at stake.

It wasn't legal because congress basically wrote some legislation that gave Vegas a monopoly on sports books. Some folks decided to contest that, and the SCOTUS saw that what congress had done was basically create a rigged game.
Well aware of that history, but that's another subject, political corruption ( which accentuates my point about gambling leading to corruption ;) )

Here's where your logic falls through. In a "friendly" game, the only money at stake is that which is bet among the group. There is no "purse" at stake.

It wasn't legal because congress basically wrote some legislation that gave Vegas a monopoly on sports books. Some folks decided to contest that, and the SCOTUS saw that what congress had done was basically create a rigged game.
I don’t know how many more times we can say that this is a political free forum.

That post was not intended to contain much logic with respect to professionals betting on professional golf. It was more of a joke and making fun of the issue more than anything. My bad, should have used the sarcasm font.

The eye rolls and wtf responses already told me no one saw any humor or logic in it. Well that, and that when some folks say you shouldn’t bet on golf if you are a player, does not necessarily mean one shouldn’t bet on golf.

According to the article I posted, three of the four bets placed by one of those guys was placed was on a “friendly”, not even a tour event, which further indicates the hypocrisy involved, and that Tempe was spot on with his original assessment. 👌

I know what you are but I think they taking money to play with fire. I can't believe there won't be some major gambling/sports controversy at some point. Human nature hasn't changed.
I agree 100% but hope we’re wrong.

Not sure which sport either I’d guess hips or hockey, fewest refs. I can see things getting ugly ala NY city college issues in the 60s was it?

The NFL suspends players longer for gambling then basically anything else other than murder.

As others have mentioned, the idea that players are gambling on their own sport compromises it's integrity. They have to be incredibly strict on this. So i don't really have an issue with it.

These guys can gamble on 100 other things, fantasy football, basketball, monkey knife fights....just not golf. It's not a huge ask
i dont think this is the real reason leagues are so against gambling. I think the gambling space provides a decent sized threat to sports leagues everywhere. People are starting to care more about the gambling than the pure competition and league execs see that as a power struggle for the future of their job and league. If the fans start to care more about gambling then the bookies are going to have a much bigger hand in the direction of sports leagues

Back