PGA Tour News & Notes

The best story to come out of Q-School. The emotions must be all over the place for them.

Thank you for posting. I was not aware of this. I am definitely going to be rooting for him to find success on the Tour this year.

I'll admit Hovland has never been one I have gravitated towards, but lately I am coming around on him.

With all respect to Vik he and along with many other players continue to miss the point. He says players make the tour. No you are wrong. The fans make the tour. Without the fans you are working some random job in Norway. The players don’t realize who have really been punished. Yall are still making your millions whether it’s 5 mil or 50 mil. Yall will be just fine. For the golf fan though PGA and LIV have ruined the pro viewing for us completely and turned off a massive part of the audience. The pros are so focused on themselves they haven’t given a thought about the fans. And even Vik missed here.

With all respect to Vik he and along with many other players continue to miss the point. He says players make the tour. No you are wrong. The fans make the tour. Without the fans you are working some random job in Norway. The players don’t realize who have really been punished. Yall are still making your millions whether it’s 5 mil or 50 mil. Yall will be just fine. For the golf fan though PGA and LIV have ruined the pro viewing for us completely and turned off a massive part of the audience. The pros are so focused on themselves they haven’t given a thought about the fans. And even Vik missed here.
Although I agree with you generally, from what I understand, at least LIV has done some things to try to make the live experience at their tournaments more "fan friendly" and enjoyable. Now, their telecasts, on the other hand, are no better whatsoever!

Personal appearance money needs to go away, some of those guys get fat checks for showing up and I could only imagine that it fuels a little resentment amongst the players. What I’m not sure of is how that affects the players that don’t get appearance money.

Anyone know if all this drama has effected viewership?

I agree and I think Hovland was speaking with that as a known understood. No pro sports league would exist without fan support.

I agree this whole back and forth is off putting and now I am in the Majors or bust camp when it comes to watching. I'll tune in for Tiger or even Riviera because I love that course, but otherwise it's more time with the kids and outside.

I agree and I think Hovland was speaking with that as a known understood. No pro sports league would exist without fan support.

I agree this whole back and forth is off putting and now I am in the Majors or bust camp when it comes to watching. I'll tune in for Tiger or even Riviera because I love that course, but otherwise it's more time with the kids and outside.
I think this is the best thing we can do. Nothing says “get your **** together” like poor viewership #s. It the only card we have to play.

Curling viewer ratings are up 21%. I'm sure many moved to watching curling.

The NFL is probably happy to have some viewers back

which reminds me I am in the market for a new broom with a low kick point, stiff shaft and dazium handle. Could be a new market for the golf equipment manufacturers.

which reminds me I am in the market for a new broom with a low kick point, stiff shaft and dazium handle. Could be a new market for the golf equipment manufacturers.
Maybe the other way around. Curling companies making shafts for golf. They have some serious carbon fiber broom sticks with no torque flex patterns that would make the stoutest shafts on tour feel like noodles.

I vote this best post of the year.

Lofty goals for JT but I like him pushing himself

I will be honest that it's surprising how many times I've watched and heard of friends watching Curling during the winter olympics. You might be on to something.

I may or may not already have this going on one of my tvs

I wouldn’t go that far, but the tour is definitely at a cross roads. They cannot compete with PIF $$ & as much as I love golf? They will not generate revenue like other pro sports to pay out winners the top $$ they want or think they should be earning.

In the end they need to get back to telling the story of tradition and history and having your name go for with the greats of the game. That’s not sexy like a boat load of $$ but they need to get back to their core product and messaging
Those days are gone. No one plays for ideals anymore. Yes, majors have a romance still, but its all about money 90% of the time.
With private investors and becoming a for profit entity, PGA tour has to start making money. The mules will be turfed and smaller fields with better players getting a larger share will be the model. Sponsors and advertisers will jump at that. Theres no room anymore for Grayson Murray and his ilk.

Part of the problem is there are too many guys with PGAT status. It used to be only the top 125 on the money list kept their card, the rest had to go back to Q School. Now there are like 250 guys who have their cards it seems.
Totally agree. 125 is way too many. They need more of an emphasis on bigger events with smaller, studded fields. I dont see any way the PGA tour can continue in its present MO.

Long watch but definitely well worth it specially when nothing else is on or just cut to @46:50 mark and pick up from there, if you believe what Bryson is saying you might walk away thinking differently about the PGA Tour 😉

Long watch but definitely well worth it specially when nothing else is on or just cut to @46:50 mark and pick up from there, if you believe what Bryson is saying you might walk away thinking differently about the PGA Tour 😉

Lots of revealing information in that podcast that Bryson and Garrett talk about. One of the things that really struck me was Garrett talking about the overreach of the PGAT does. Just Garrett's filming at a really insignificant Pro-Am of a couple of PGA pros and a swing video had the PGAT content enforcement saying that it needed to be taking down or couldn't be posted. Those Pro-Am YouTube videos would have been great content for the PGAT, bring a different perspective of PGAT, highlight the unknown PGA players, and bring a lot more viewers/interest to the PGAT. Just shaking my head the PGAT didn't authorize Garrett to post that content. It is free publicity for the PGAT.

Lots of revealing information in that podcast that Bryson and Garrett talk about. One of the things that really struck me was Garrett talking about the overreach of the PGAT does. Just Garrett's filming at a really insignificant Pro-Am of a couple of PGA pros and a swing video had the PGAT content enforcement saying that it needed to be taking down or couldn't be posted. Those Pro-Am YouTube videos would have been great content for the PGAT, bring a different perspective of PGAT, highlight the unknown PGA players, and bring a lot more viewers/interest to the PGAT. Just shaking my head the PGAT didn't authorize Garrett to post that content. It is free publicity for the PGAT.
Garrett got it from both ends as NCAA screwed him over because ESPN used his content and made money off of it.

Garrett got it from both ends as NCAA screwed him over because ESPN used his content and made money off of it.
That sucks. Was he filming NCAA players and then the NCAA sold the content to ESPN?

I get it that entities like the PGAT own the rights to that content, but I think the PGAT is not looking at the big picture at what is good for their business as a whole. Their overreaching to control and micromanage everything is hurting them. Just my opinion.

N
That sucks. Was he filming NCAA players and then the NCAA sold the content to ESPN?

I get it that entities like the PGAT own the rights to that content, but I think the PGAT is not looking at the big picture at what is good for their business as a whole. Their overreaching to control and micromanage everything is hurting them. Just my opinion.
No he was doing trick shots before Good Good and ESPN among others started to show on their socials. He became ineligible for college golf

Exactly, and it was a Sponsor that wanted Garrett to film and what not, wow I couldn’t believe what I was listening to. Also don’t know if you watched the entire video but at 1 point Bryson brought up that every year a PGA player had to sign a waiver about needing approval by the PGA TOUR for playing anywhere else like a charity event, another tournament etc…kinda like the Service where they own you is what I took from that remark….

Back