PGA Tour News & Notes

If anyone wonders why the PGAT is in the position they are in with player distrust, it’s decisions like these that will be their undoing

If anyone wonders why the PGAT is in the position they are in with player distrust, it’s decisions like these that will be their undoing

Only problem is that it doesn't affect the players who matter to the PGAT, so nothing will be made of it. Those guys who got screwed will just be told to "play better" by the elite players.

Only problem is that it doesn't affect the players who matter to the PGAT, so nothing will be made of it. Those guys who got screwed will just be told to "play better" by the elite players.

Exactly. Just like the PIF money going to the richest guys on tour already anyways.

Agree but they are causing some issues not honoring commitments and letting DPWT players in before these guys. If it was stateside ok, but the hotel snd except ende all the way to Hawaii is not a cheap “my bad”

Love seeing this for Woodland. He's a favorite of mine.

Great story with his recovery. Funny how good news just stays buried.

Agree but they are causing some issues not honoring commitments and letting DPWT players in before these guys. If it was stateside ok, but the hotel snd except ende all the way to Hawaii is not a cheap “my bad”

Not a good look.

PGAT losing Farmer's a sponsor. I think you will see more of these dropping the longer the PGAT doesn't wrap up the for profit negotiations.

PGAT losing Farmer's a sponsor. I think you will see more of these dropping the longer the PGAT doesn't wrap up the for profit negotiations.

I just don’t understand how professional golf is going to make money. Seems the big companies are balking at the current price. Where is all this money that LIV and PGATour have promised to their players going to come from? It seems right now we’re headed to a for-profit company with no profit.

I just don’t understand how professional golf is going to make money. Seems the big companies are balking at the current price. Where is all this money that LIV and PGATour have promised to their players going to come from? It seems right now we’re headed to a for-profit company with no profit.
I've tried to look into it and make sense of it. The only thing I can think of they are making a bulk of it from the TV deal and then bringing all the players back into the fold and have top 50 players at the tournaments. They will sell $10 burger and $15 beer to make up for it though.

Golf is a failing sport right now, it's not nearly as popular as it was even just a couple of years ago, and while I think the demise of Tiger has a little to do with it the LIV thing really is the primary issue, it's turned off a lot of fans, so I think more sponsor losses are coming and the PGA may be forced to take the Saudi money just to survive. Because golf isn't the NFL or MLB, even those super popular sports would probably be on the ropes if they went through a fracturing like this, but little old PGA golf? no chance, and sadly I think it's going to be a very long time before we see it rebound.

This is Whistling Straits today.... :oops:

Blaine Hale... One of us

Blaine Hale... One of us

That's awesome. I love seeing the Pro golfers embrace this kind of equipment setup. Split sets and 7Ws!

The more news that comes out and the more discussion I hear. The less excited I get about the future of golf.

#losinginterest.

they need to have tools like Monahan and Jimmy Dunne quit making their decisions

The more news that comes out and the more discussion I hear. The less excited I get about the future of golf.

#losinginterest.
Blinders. Just watch with blinders. Enjoy golf, tune out the drama.

Golf is a failing sport right now, it's not nearly as popular as it was even just a couple of years ago, and while I think the demise of Tiger has a little to do with it the LIV thing really is the primary issue, it's turned off a lot of fans, so I think more sponsor losses are coming and the PGA may be forced to take the Saudi money just to survive. Because golf isn't the NFL or MLB, even those super popular sports would probably be on the ropes if they went through a fracturing like this, but little old PGA golf? no chance, and sadly I think it's going to be a very long time before we see it rebound.
While I agree between Tiger and LIV pro golf has become very flat. I also think the economy in general has lots of companies facing revenue uncertainty.

While I agree between Tiger and LIV pro golf has become very flat. I also think the economy in general has lots of companies facing revenue uncertainty.

I don't think it's revenue uncertainty, none of these companies are facing revenue issues. They just can't borrow money for free anymore and better yet they can get a 4% return on their cash for free. That means new ventures that aren't showing value are being shut down and their running with their cash cows. Pretty typical of a higher interest rate environment. Increase profit by operational efficiency instead of starting new ventures. Whereas the last decade with low interest rates it was basically companies taking on a bunch of moonshot projects like self driving cars, AI, space tourism, virtual reality worlds, etc, etc, etc.

I don't think it's revenue uncertainty, none of these companies are facing revenue issues. They just can't borrow money for free anymore and better yet they can get a 4% return on their cash for free. That means new ventures that aren't showing value are being shut down and their running with their cash cows. Pretty typical of a higher interest rate environment. Increase profit by operational efficiency instead of starting new ventures. Whereas the last decade with low interest rates it was basically companies taking on a bunch of moonshot projects like self driving cars, AI, space tourism, virtual reality worlds, etc, etc, etc.
Valid points but don't think it's that black and white.

I don't think California and Florida was a moonshot venture.

Farmers leaving Florida and California.

Valid points but don't think it's that black and white.

I don't think California and Florida was a moonshot venture.

Farmers leaving Florida and California.

Well insuring 2 states with outsized property valuations and guaranteed natural disasters is just not profitable. In Florida in particular the insurance companies offering home owners coverage are often small underfunded businesses who close their eyes and cross their fingers every year that this is not the year they get hit with the storm that turns them insolvent.

I've tried to look into it and make sense of it. The only thing I can think of they are making a bulk of it from the TV deal and then bringing all the players back into the fold and have top 50 players at the tournaments. They will sell $10 burger and $15 beer to make up for it though.
True, but not to me! Back when the Bridgestone WGC championship used to be played at Firestone South every year, we would be there every year. But, we are getting up there in years, and didn't relish hiking up and down those hills! We decided that we would rather sit at home and enjoy the golf on television, which usually gave us a better view of what was going on anyway!
Blinders. Just watch with blinders. Enjoy golf, tune out the drama.

^^^^^^THIS! I don't go for the soap opera qualities of NASCAR or WWF! Just show me great shots from difficult positions!

Rory wins again in Dubai and Cam Young squanders a 2-shot lead going into the final round. Young is still looking for his first win since the Korn Ferry Tour.

Back