I feel money rankings are irrelevant. Some tournaments pay out more than others, and that can really add up in the long run. World Golf Rankings are the most accurate way to tell how a player sizes up to another.

True.....money rankings isnt a fair way to rank someone for that very reason, I still believe he will be higher on the rankings when all is said and done.....

And i have a feeling it won't be Tiger. He has had too much going on around him. I have a good feeling he will be pretty distracted in his first tournament back.

Not nearly as much as Phil.

Why woild Phil feel more distracted than Tiger?

:laughing:

Thank you. You proved my initial point from the Phil thread that I started a while back about distractions.

(BTW - I'm not laughing at you, rather the irony of your question)

True.....money rankings isnt a fair way to rank someone for that very reason, I still believe he will be higher on the rankings when all is said and done.....

While I will agree, because Tiger is almost a full 4 points up from Stricker and I do not know how many points are awarded per win. Granted, Tiger does not deserve to be number one. He isn't playing, so why should he be there? I think while he is MIA he should be removed from the WGR. When he resumes, he can jump in where he left off. Or something of that sort.

:laughing:

Thank you. You proved my initial point from the Phil thread that I started a while back about distractions.

You have got to be kidding. He was talking about this single event, not Phil's game in general like you were when you compared his wife and mother having cancer to Tiger's "douchery". Yes you did not compare the acts, but the actual distractions, which again is nearly criminal.

Speaking of world rankings.

Why don't we ever hear much about Stricker? If that guy isn't in contention, he's a moot point on the broadcasts.

He's higher than Phil in the rankings......................

While I will agree, because Tiger is almost a full 4 points up from Stricker and I do not know how many points are awarded per win. Granted, Tiger does not deserve to be number one. He isn't playing, so why should he be there? I think while he is MIA he should be removed from the WGR. When he resumes, he can jump in where he left off. Or something of that sort.

Do the WGR go on forever? until someone retires or do they reset every year? I agree anyone that takes a long time off of golf should be removed so that they can start again when they return....wonder why they don't do that?

I think we hear plenty about Stricker when he's in a tournament. We'll hear plenty about him Masters week, however the person who made this thread made it about Phil, not Stricker OR Tiger.

Edit: I guess TW was brought up in the initial post, my bad.

:popcorn:

You have got to be kidding. He was talking about this single event, not Phil's game in general like you were when you compared his wife and mother having cancer to Tiger's "douchery". Yes you did not compare the acts, but the actual distractions, which again is nearly criminal.

I said they both have big distractions. That's the only point I made. I said multiple times the reasons for the distractions is irrelevant.

And do you think Tiger's distraction is only going to be for this ONE event?

I think it is foolish to think that Phil isn't playing well since Tiger isn't playing. I can't see his motivation would depend on who else playing in the field. He is a professional and would have self motivation I would think.

I said they both have big distractions. That's the only point I made. I said multiple times the reasons for the distractions is irrelevant.

And do you think Tiger's distraction is only going to be for this ONE event?

I think TW will be distracted for a while. It should take him more than 1 tournament to get focused after what happened.

Do the WGR go on forever? until someone retires or do they reset every year? I agree anyone that takes a long time off of golf should be removed so that they can start again when they return....wonder why they don't do that?

From the World Golf Ranking website. This might tell us something:

"The World Ranking Points for each player are accumulated over a two year “rolling” period with the points awarded for each event maintained for a 13-week period to place additional emphasis on recent performances – ranking points are then reduced in equal decrements (of 1/92nd of the original amount) for the remaining 91 weeks of the two year Ranking period. Each player is then ranked according to his average points per tournament, which is determined by dividing his total number of points by the tournaments he has played over that two-year period. There is a minimum divisor of 40 tournaments over the two year ranking period and a maximum divisor of a player’s last 60 events."

From the World Golf Ranking website. This might tell us something:

"The World Ranking Points for each player are accumulated over a two year “rolling” period with the points awarded for each event maintained for a 13-week period to place additional emphasis on recent performances – ranking points are then reduced in equal decrements (of 1/92nd of the original amount) for the remaining 91 weeks of the two year Ranking period. Each player is then ranked according to his average points per tournament, which is determined by dividing his total number of points by the tournaments he has played over that two-year period. There is a minimum divisor of 40 tournaments over the two year ranking period and a maximum divisor of a player’s last 60 events."

Great post thanks Dent.......clarified a lot of things..

I think TW will be distracted for a while. It should take him more than 1 tournament to get focused after what happened.

Of course he'll be distracted for more than one tournament.

This whole debacle that Tiger created will follow him the rest of his career.

Not nearly as much as Phil.

Ok although Tiger Does have tons going on around him, Phil has a lot too. His mother and his wife have been diagnosed with cancer.

Ok although Tiger Does have tons going on around him, Phil has a lot too. His mother and his wife have been diagnosed with cancer.

It's hard especially in a forum, to try and debate and compare the two.....

But his wife and mother were diagnosed months ago. Phil has played in tournaments since then and has had time to start to refocus. This is TW's first tournament since the incident.

true.... My question is will the extra media bother him.

But his wife and mother were diagnosed months ago. Phil has played in tournaments since then and has had time to start to refocus. This is TW's first tournament since the incident.

TW had to fix things at home with his family.......Phil can't help what is going on at home......he does fly back and forth between tournaments to spend time with them.....this is a dead subject.....it's not going to be easy to agree to disagree whether tiger's troubles are worse than phils.....

TW had to fix things at home with his family.......Phil can't help what is going on at home......he does fly back and forth between tournaments to spend time with them.....this is a dead subject.....it's not going to be easy to agree to disagree whether tiger's troubles are worse than phils.....

That made me think. TW has had stress fixing things. Phil has had stress dealing with things.

To get back to your original question...

Distractions aside, Phil is not playing great golf (for him) right now. It's not all that surprising because he's known to be inconsistent at times. Nobody knows if his poor (for him) year is due to off-the-course distractions or not. If history is any indicator, he will show up soon and play some great golf. Hopefully, soon means the Masters.

Phil to me is one of those players who doesn't run away with a tourney like TW does. He always seems to win by 1 or blow up at the end.

Phil is a competitor. Lack of a single rival doesnt take that away from him. With some of the things he does or says though, people may question his intelligence. Not saying he isnt a very smart person, but he may be one of those people who is too smart for his own good. THe type of person that has so much "book smarts" that the common sense area starts lacking. Regardless, he is a fantastic golfer and fun to watch.

As for Tiger... I have never been a huge Tiger fan. I do however appreciate what he does and has done for the game of golf. Also, I dont know everyone in this thread personally, so I have no idea how long or how intently they watch golf tournaments. But, for anyone that has watched Tiger throughout his career, one would know that regardless of what is going on in his life, once he steps inside the ropes, there are no distractions. He is one of the absolute most focused human beings on the planet, and on the course, there are no such things as off course distractions to him.

Back