Ping Anser Driver Review - Forum Testing

something so obvious and I totally missed it, so caught up in having the driver lol.

After a few months with this thing I might go back in and have another fitting done with the different shafts and see if things changed at all, and ths wime I will be sure to take my own balls

You probably have the right shaft. You could adjust the face settings with your gamer ball. That would work enough.

One of the last times I was in golfsmith hitting drivers I ask the guy working if they've ever seen a difference with someone using their own balls versus the best up cheap balls they have in the hitting bay. He said no one had ever done it so he didn't know. And he kind of blew the idea off too. But he did say I was more then welcome to use my own if I wanted to.

You probably have the right shaft. You could adjust the face settings with your gamer ball. That would work enough.

yeah Im hoping to get back to 9.5 neutral as I begin to swing the club more and more consistent

All this RC coverage makes me want to go out and pound balls with my Anser. I need to hit the sweetspot more, those shots are fun.

All this RC coverage makes me want to go out and pound balls with my Anser. I need to hit the sweetspot more, those shots are fun.
Agreed, those sweepspot shots are pretty good. Last time out I hit the toe so many times it was starting to upset me.

Using you own balls is a big factor. Each ball had different spin capabilities and characteristics. That can change things a lot.

That makes a ton of sense, I'll be sure to do that the next time I'm fitting for something!!!

I took some swings with one of these today and man what a gorgeous driver! Love the matte black, not a huge fan of the alignment aid but could get use to it. Good thing I didn't hit any balls with it because on looks alone I was fighting myself not to OEM it lol.

I took some swings with one of these today and man what a gorgeous driver! Love the matte black, not a huge fan of the alignment aid but could get use to it. Good thing I didn't hit any balls with it because on looks alone I was fighting myself not to OEM it lol.

Come to ohio in october and hit mine

something so obvious and I totally missed it, so caught up in having the driver lol.

After a few months with this thing I might go back in and have another fitting done with the different shafts and see if things changed at all, and ths wime I will be sure to take my own balls

If you want to try any stiffs from the Miyazaki Kusala line let me know. Have a Silver ( Mid/high)and Indigo (Mid/low). Only downside is if you put the adapter on my shaft I will need a Anser head back....

Hey guys I'm 13 and I just joined this forum a little bit ago and I was hoping one of you guys be able to help me find out if this driver could help me at all. I've been playing golf for 6 months and my average score is about 100. My main problem is I almost never hit the fairway. Right now I have a titleist orlimar that was giving to me by my new golf coach. My main problem with it is I can't stop slicing it. Hope somebody can help!

Hey guys I'm 13 and I just joined this forum a little bit ago and I was hoping one of you guys be able to help me find out if this driver could help me at all. I've been playing golf for 6 months and my average score is about 100. My main problem is I almost never hit the fairway. Right now I have a titleist orlimar that was giving to me by my new golf coach. My main problem with it is I can't stop slicing it. Hope somebody can help!

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of golf. My advise to you is to work on your swing with your new golf coach. If he gave this club to you it probably can do the job. The only thing I would say as for as equipment is that you may need shorter clubs that are fit to your body and swing (depending on how tall you are). However, a golfer's swing causes a slice 99.9% of the time, not the equipment.

Mike

Welcome aboard. Try posting your swing questions in the Ask a Pro section. Golftec coaches might be able to give you different drills to straighten out your tee ball.

Enjoying the thread so far. Keep up the great work. Couple questions....

1) How are the distances on the off-center hits? Are you losing 10-20 Yds or 40-50 Yds on average?

2) Are your misses (left or right) better or worse with the Anser? Is a bad shot still in play or is it 3 fairways over?

1) How are the distances on the off-center hits? Are you losing 10-20 Yds or 40-50 Yds on average?

2) Are your misses (left or right) better or worse with the Anser? Is a bad shot still in play or is it 3 fairways over?

Off center hits aren't that penalizing with the Anser in my opinion. It isn't G20 forgiving, but then again what is? I'd say that if your way off center then 20 yards wouldn't be too far off the mark for this one. If you're just a tad bit off center than I'd almost venture to say that you won't notice much of a difference. It's a bit better than the i20 if you've hit that but not a whole lot better. Lateral forgiveness is pretty good with the Anser. Laterally I'd put it just a tad more offline than the Classic.

Driving for show and chutting for dough

For #1 I agree with the Colt that off center misses are not that bad with the worse being about 20 yards lost and the just slight off center ones being hardly noticeable at all. If I lose any more then 20 yards its a very big miss that usually involves a nasty slice. Which leads into #2, my misses have been more left with the Anser. This has been more about me getting quick with it and hitting a snap hook then anything else. A good swing seems to produce a nice penetrating mid trajectory shot with a small fade on it.

For #1 I agree with the Colt that off center misses are not that bad with the worse being about 20 yards lost and the just slight off center ones being hardly noticeable at all. If I lose any more then 20 yards its a very big miss that usually involves a nasty slice. Which leads into #2, my misses have been more left with the Anser. This has been more about me getting quick with it and hitting a snap hook then anything else. A good swing seems to produce a nice penetrating mid trajectory shot with a small fade on it.

Truth. When you missed on the sim yesterday they were dead left and would've killed any dog leg left holes. When you weren't as quick you were getting a nice 247-253 drive with good launch angle dude

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

1- I would say that I am losing about 10-20 yds when I don't catch the sweet spot. I think your yardage loss depends where you hit it on the face. The face is really forgiving towards the toe, but not towards the heel. I only lose about 10 yds off toe hits, which are my miss. I have noticed when I really connect with with the driver, I can get the ball out there, farther than before. One big thing is the sound difference, from a great hit and a miss.

2- I have mostly been missing to the right with this driver. Not a bad miss, just in the right rough most of the time. I have not had any trouble with losing it right with the driver.

For me its probably in the 10 yard or so range on the mis hits.

My misses have been push rights and the occasional slice with this. Depending on the course its still in play more times than not

For me its probably in the 10 yard or so range on the mis hits.

My misses have been push rights and the occasional slice with this. Depending on the course its still in play more times than not

thats good to know.... i think Ping drivers for the most part over the years have been more accurate for me than any other driver. especially on mishits. i would just lose a good amount of distance. looks like they have improved in that area with the Anser driver.

mot of the time the driver won't change a swing flaw, I would take some lessons and work on your swing first, welcome to THP

Will be back with a recap of the ping in atl...1 good day, 1 bad

Driving range session-

Warrior Golf Course-
77* and no wind.
Grass tees and random range ball selection. (Either limited distance balls or old golf balls)

I went to the range yesterday to mostly work on my iron play after a lesson. I did want to get some driver swings during the session. I set aside 10 balls for the driver to make sure I was still on. After working on irons for a while, I decided to take a break and hit some drivers. I picked my "fairway" on the range and started in to my routine. I wanted all 10 of these balls to count as if I was playing a round. I made sure to go through a full routine each time. Out of the 10 balls, I made all 10 in my "fairway". I was extremely satisfied with these results. My ball flights were all over my "fairway", but still on it. It was only about 40 yds wide. I had the 'Ahina shaft in the driver during this test.

I think next range session I am going to mess with tee height and ball position to see how the driver responds. I think I noticed somebody else on the forum talk about ball flight and ball position relation. I want to see if I can adjust my ball flight, by just moving the ball back or forward in my stance. I think this would be an easy adjustment on the course.

Previous post
Spoiler

18 hole Round with the Anser
Date:
9-29-2012
Location: Bentwater Golf Club, 6500 yards, Blue Tees 137 slope rating
Club Tested: Ping Anser driver 9.5* Diamana Ahina, set to neutral 9.5*
Previous Club: Nike VRS
Ball used: Titleist ProV1
Conditions: Upper 60's/low 70s

This was round 1 of 2 for the ATL tour stop. Prior to the round spend a ton of time hitting golf balls on the rage as part of the demo days. Focused mainly on hitting irons, but managed to hit a few different drivers as well as the Anser. After getting a few pointers from Tadashi, I went and retrieved the Anser from my bag and proceeded to hit some balls. It was hard to gauge the distance being unfamiliar with the range, but I felt as if I was hitting the ball pretty good for my standards. The occasional miss would be either low on the face (thin result) or hitting the middle of the club but with a slight slice.

Felt good enough about my swing after the range session that I proceeded to move from the 10* closed face, back down to 9.5* neutral.

As part of the testing, I pretty much hit driver on just about every par 4 and 5, even though in most cases I would hit 3W due to some dog legs and shorter distance holes. With it being a large group of golfers, I really didnt have time to GPS my drives and do a hole by hole recap of my shots as I didnt want to slow things down and I didnt want to ignore my awesome cart partner Lefty.

So for this round, all In all I was happy with my game from the tee. When it was all said and done I hit 6 out of 14 fairways for the day. I hit another 2-3 good tee balls on holes where the tee box setup right side, and proceeded to hit the ball dead straight which meant the ball ended up in the right side rough. I really need to work on being able to better align my setup and proper swing on these sort of holes so I dont continue to penalize myself.

My miss on this day was really 2 things. 1. I continue to come out of the swing way too much which is leading to me catching balls very thin. Luckily the bottom of the face still has some pop so Im getting out over 200 yards, but I need to get this issue resolved asap. The other happened on 2 occasions where it felt as though my temp was off and it lead to just 2 UGLY swings both of which yielded drives of under 100 yards. Again something I need to work on because when I rush the swing, its the same kind of ugly result and on most courses leads to either hitting from a really bad lie a mile from the hole, or even having to take penalty strokes which I had to do 1 of the 2 times on Saturday.

All in all, Im still liking this driver. The low spin seems to help me in some cases when I do slice the ball. I continue to see the distances that I expected with the swings that Im putting on the ball, its now a matter of working to get me making the good swings on a more frequent basis.

Nice writeups fellas!!!!

1.) For me, the distances on off center hits are about 15-20 yards compared to my well struck hits. This is pretty consistent with my distance loss with my previous 2 drivers.

2.) Again, for me the bad shots are still as bad as my bad shots with my previous drivers. My miss is a quick hook, so there wont be much that can save those from really hurting me. Its a swing flaw I know I need to fix.

Will be back with a recap of the ping in atl...1 good day, 1 bad

Thats been my experience so far too. Plan on hitting the range again tonight or tmrw to log some more time.

Back