Ping G30 LS Tec Driver - Review Thread

Had an ok driving day with the Ping down in Florida. The carry I've been seeing in Cleveland has definitely carried over to here, as I was able to count on 260 from the tee without any wind. I was finding that downwind, the ball really carries well, and into it doesn't seem to be affected as much.

I had a few terrible swings that led to one duck hook, and a couple high slices.

For me, this continues to be a high launcher, with very good distance. As long as a good swing is made, it seems quite forgiving across the face, as far as distance goes.

I had planned to get some outside time with the G30LS, but they moved the demo day to a time when I had to travel to the east coast for work. I am hitting my old Cleveland Hibore XL very well and want to compare head to head. One of these days ... Fun to follow the other reviews in the meantime.

Days like I had today driving make me wonder if anything coukd kick this driver out of the bag. Today, the driver was as point and shoot as they come. Short game matched my driving on the front, unfortunately it didn't stick around for the driving on the back. Downwind, I was able to get the ball high to ride the help. Had a couple drives in the 290s. Upwind, I had one drive that pierced through the wind easily, and one that I got steep on and it balooned a bit on me.

Contact was pretty close to the sweet spot, but a few misses low but center and high and toward the heel still went where I intended.

Hitting long drives is fun. Today was a lot of fun off the tee.

So, I lofted up to 11.5 degrees today. Had a really good day on the course. Hit one drive, wind-aided, 280 yards. I believe that the extra loft led to less drastic misses. I leaked right when I regressed back to old habits of hanging back. Otherwise, I noticed more distance with the extra loft.

This club continues work for me. It's a blast to hit.

I've played 2 rounds with a G30 LS Tec and Graphite Design Tour AD DI combo and have to say that I'm very impressed with the accuracy of this combo but I'm not sure this setup is as long as some of my other setups.

So the golf ho in me wanted to try a regular G30 head to see if I could gain some distance until my golfing buddies talked me out of it as I've hit 23 of 25 fairways with it the past 2 rounds. They said I would be crazy to try and eek out a few more yards with as accurate as I was hitting it.

I'm a sub 150 mph ball speed player so the head probably isn't the best fit for me but I can't argue with the accuracy results so far.

It may not be for everyone but it's a driver everyone should at least try at least once.

Last edited:
Going to hit one of these tomorrow pretty excited.

Going to hit one of these tomorrow pretty excited.

I believe you will love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got out for a hopefully quick nine this evening. First drive downwind and a bit downhill: 330 yds total. Pushed a bit right but playable. Second hole back into and flat. 293. Wind took it a bit right but again in play. Wind is picking up so this should get interesting.

Third hole quartering wind into and from the right. Hit a fade 270 in the center.

Boom.

I set up to hit the fade I've had the past few holes. Hit a draw instead. 290 yards with a little helping wind. Par 5 458 on the card. Gave me a 9 iron in. Driving really well.

I set up to hit the fade I've had the past few holes. Hit a draw instead. 290 yards with a little helping wind. Par 5 458 on the card. Gave me a 9 iron in. Driving really well.
Damn, dude. You are crushing it!

286 to the front. Up wind. May as well have a go at it.
1c2f5870b98d86e5d4393f7d3b49a965.jpg

Aimed at the tree left of the green hoping the wind would take it right. Hit it straight as an arrow. Pin high in one. 290 yds.
29248d11ce8ea5e7cac67fe51b3ca2ef.jpg

The distance I am getting off the tee isn't fair. Contact is pretty close to center but by no means perfect.

Trying to beat the impeding storm. 9th hole coming up.

9th was pretty much dead into the wind. Hit it a little off the heel but centered vertically. Came out a bit low with a hard cut. Still got out to 273.

Alec, great job with this testing!
I loved watching you hit this in Ohio!

Alek, great job with this testing!
I loved watching you hit this in Ohio!

Slight fify :)

Thanks for the encouragement. It has been a blast and I think it is safe to say this driver will have a solid place in my bag for a while.

So after a great driving round earlier in the week, I had a much worse day today. I was getting plenty of distance but my swing was causing some crooked shots. Was able to get it to a controllable fade on the last few holes, so I just started playing for the left to right.

One drive stuck out to me in terms of forgiveness. On 18 I hit the very top of the face, a bit toward the heel. The ball flew quite high and cut right into the middle of the fairway. Ended up 262 away on an upwind hole, despite the off center contact.

Some bad swings, some good swings. Good distance regardless.

I should mention that yesterday i shipped my other driver head to a THPer for him to test out, so of course the Ping was acting up haha.

Got out yesterday on the range and hit a golf ball for the first time in a few weeks. I was very interested to see how this would perform given my layoff. I started out with the setting I liked at first, 9.9 loft. I had trouble previously with not beign able to hit this club left of target; what a difference a couple of weeks made. I was hitting knuckle balls that were going left, much like my SLDR ball flight. I decided to loft up to see what would happen and what I found was amazing. I starting hitting low spin balls that were carrying like crazy. The driving range I was on has a net at 255 carry. With the old loft I was pretty much carrying it to the bottom of the base, once I lofted up I was hitting the top of the net and even carrying it a few times. I was happy with this as this was the first time I had really seen the dramatic decrease in spin but was still able to get great launch on the ball. Even more so, I was able to work the ball for the first time which was my biggest issue with the club previously.

I am going to be playing tomorrow and will be gaming this one. Cannot wait to see what happens

My last round with the LS Tec wasn't quite as good as my first few but I still managed to hit 8 of 12 fairways. That makes 31 of 37 fairways or 84% in 3 rounds.

I'm not sure if the distance I'm seeing is better than my previous combo (as the conditions here in South Texas are still soggy from all the rain we've been getting) but if I keep hitting this many fairways I really don't care about the distance.

Going out to the demo day and got a appointment with the Ping rep. Have feeling with my high spin numbers from the past I will be trying this guy out. Currently have the G25 now and like the forgiveness when I don't have the face wide open. Anyone with the G30 Driver and had the past G25 do you see much gain or difference to make a transition to the G30?

The distance I am getting off the tee isn't fair. Contact is pretty close to center but by no means perfect.

That assessment is very true I have to say. I hit this a bunch after work today and hit some that I would have swore I nutted, but the ball mark was 1/2" towards the toe. As a matter of fact, I was wiping the face after every shot to see where I was hitting and I didn't hit a single one from the center, but the results were great . Can't imagine what would happen if I hit one out of the middle. haha

I have the SF Tec version because I have always struggled with a fade (fade/straight on good drives, slice on misses).. and this is by far the straightest and most forgiving driver I have ever hit. It's funny because every time I've taken it to the range, at least 2-3 other guys there are hitting the same exact driver.

Ping nailed the G30 driver lineup.

Back