Ping G30 LS Tec Driver - Review Thread

I have the SF Tec version because I have always struggled with a fade (fade/straight on good drives, slice on misses).. and this is by far the straightest and most forgiving driver I have ever hit. It's funny because every time I've taken it to the range, at least 2-3 other guys there are hitting the same exact driver.

Ping nailed the G30 driver lineup.

That's for sure! When I first saw the G30 with the turbulators I thought it had to be the most gimmicky thing I'd seen in some time, but now I have to admit it works, or something about the club works. Whether I'm really getting faster club head speed I can't tell yet, but the ball speeds are higher than I have ever seen.

That's for sure! When I first saw the G30 with the turbulators I thought it had to be the most gimmicky thing I'd seen in some time, but now I have to admit it works, or something about the club works. Whether I'm really getting faster club head speed I can't tell yet, but the ball speeds are higher than I have ever seen.

It's just been a fairway finder for me. If I pull it, it fades; if I push it, it draws. If I smoke it, it's straight as an arrow. Really an incredible club.

I have the SF Tec version because I have always struggled with a fade (fade/straight on good drives, slice on misses).. and this is by far the straightest and most forgiving driver I have ever hit. It's funny because every time I've taken it to the range, at least 2-3 other guys there are hitting the same exact driver.

Ping nailed the G30 driver lineup.
QFT. The turbolators were borderline gimmicky at first but it turns out the entire line is great.

Last edited:
I had a good day with the driver today. I started out hammering straight drive after straight drive. Started to get more of a fade as the round went on. A couple poor swings got me high and right, buy with the distance I am used to. The course I played today was tree lined, with doglegs able to be attacked if you can get the ball high enough. On one of these doglegs, the tee shot is 210 to the dogleg which leaves 200 to the green. I was able to get really aggressive and cut the corner as I am hitting some of the highest drives I ever have witb this club. 270 yards later, and I had only 100 left.

One swing I didn't stay down at all and caught the ball really low on the face. As expected I got a really low ball. Pretty much what you'd expect when you barely hit the face.

The course I played today was 6600 yards. I was easily having short irons and mostly wedges on all the par 4s. I could get used to this distance off the tee :)

just ordered one, waiting for it to get here

Had a mixed opinion on this one after my round on Saturday. While I played great and only missed 1 fairway with this, I was having some spin issues. I lofted up before the round to the advertised loft of 10.5* from the 9.0-9.6 I had been playing. The course was really wet and getting little roll so I wanted to get as much carry as possible for the day. I was hitting some that were going straight up and about 20-30 yards short of where I usually am with my gamer. The ones that werent straight up were spinning up and not holding a solid trajectory. The crazy part was that these felt on the screws and were all very solid. I did notice I had a little more workability with the club at the higher loft but the distance loss was not very intruging. The sound is now a non issue and I still like that I am able to control my misses. Will hopefully get out later this week on the same course and I will loft back down and see if this changes anything

I'd like to try out lower loft on the course to see how I can control it. I have my father in laws member guest this weekend, so I might just dance with the one that brought me, sticking at 11.5 degrees. On the other hand, it is all 9 hole matches, so it would allow for a lot of tinkering.

I was at the range tonight and tried a couple of loft settings to see what would happen. I took 5 shots with each setting using my Swing Caddie SC100 to get swing and ball speeds. Take the distances with a grain of salt.

First setting +1 degree for 11.5 degrees of loft

1) 104 swing/155 ball/1.49 smash/276 yds
2)99/148/1.49/258
3)107/146/1.36/255
4)100/150/1.5/263
5)100/149/1.49/261
Average smash factor 1.466

Setting 2 -1 degree for 9.5 degrees of loft

1)100/150/1.50/262
2)105/154/1.46/274
3)107/156/1.45/278
4)104/156/1.50/278
5th shot didn't register properly
Average smash factor 1.478

It appears that the lower loft setting was slightly more efficient in transferring energy to the ball. If you take away the low ball on the first setting, however, the club is performing just about as well as it can for ballspeed. The bad shot I had was me trying to swing too hard, and I caught it quite low on the face.

Given the limitations of the SC100, I'd still probably stick with the higher loft setting. I'd need some more launch data, or on the course testing to see which setting gives me more distance. The lower loft came out noticeably lower. Would run out more, buy I'm not sure I can get the ball high enough at that loft.

I want to thank the participants for reviewing the drivers.
We will end this forum testing, but feel free to continue to offer feedback if you would like.

Excellent review Canadan!

I was having some issues with this driver over the weekend. Some shots would be incredible. High straight bombs. Had one at 308 yards total, wind assisted =) but I was also losing a lot high and right. Distance was still great just couldn't control it. I think it was really poor alignment from me.

Forgiveness across the face is pretty good as far as I can tell. Tonight on my last drive, I hit the ball quite low on the face. Ball came out lower than normal, but ended up 280 out, into a slight breeze. No complaints there!

So I just found out there is a Ping Demo Day at THPer Chris Carfangia's course tomorrow with Trackman. I might have to head that way after a half day of work to get some good numbers.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Bought my g30 Ls in Febuary and have been really enjoying this driver with the 9 degree head and tour 65 stiff shaft.On the range with range balls I have been setting my driver at 9 degrees with a nice ball flight ,but a little higher flight than what I want. If I set it to 8.5 it seems to drop out of the air a bit to early,so I am pretty sure 9 is my best setting for total distance.I get better results watching real ball flight than on the LM indoors.dont have access to outside LM.
is this how everyone else fine tunes there driver?.

A couple things:

Some one mentioned in another thread the epoch tee sweet spot system. Checked it out for the LS at stock loft, and it showed to tee at the lowest mark on the tee, pretty much as high as you can. Nice to see that as I was finding my best results when I tee the ball higher.

Second: I went for a Trackman driver fitting to see if anything should unseat the Ping, and if the stock setup works best. After a little tip with my stance, which had gotten to wide, I was piping this driver long with a playable fade. I tested against the Alpha 815 DBD and Titleist D2 and D4 with the Rouge S shaft. I also tested the Tour 65 shaft in the G30 in stiff, which ended up being a little too stiff for me. Carry was further than the DBD in both gravity core positions, dispersion was best with the G30. The D4 was closest to the G30 with similar dispersion, spin and distance. Further on the screws, but on average not as good. The D4 I just couldn't hit. Way too little spin. So the stock G30 LS is going to stay in the bag.

Saw on the Trackman that my angle of attack is positive which was awesome to see!

Well this sucks
ec73219b77f82e15aafbfbf315eb8a1c.jpg

That doesn't look good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#NewShaftTime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my LS Tec with Tour 65 stiff shaft, but I keep wondering if the X stiff would be even better.

Back