PING i Irons: THP Review Thread

PING iE1 Irons: THP Preview Thread

PING iE1 Irons: THP Preview Thread

In for review to THP are the much anticipated next entry from PING into their i-Series irons, the iE1. Clearly, the naming system has undergone an overhaul but beyond that there is a whooooooooooooooooole lot of i-Series familiarity too, with twists. PING sent THP a 3-UW setup of iE1 irons paired with the CFS distance shafts in steel.

Initial thoughts, the high-toe trait is there but to my eye is slightly more prevalent than it was with the i20 and i25 irons, there is a LOT about these that make me think of the i5’s, and not just because of the blue. They are definitely smaller in the topline and sole than the i20’s and i25’s, something that was speculated but IMO is confirmed now. Still progressive in nature through the set in size/profile and offset but it too looks a bit toned down. The finish really looks a lot like the old school PING “tumbled” finish I have seen on the older sets that go to PING for a re-finish, and knowing the issues they have had finish wise with the last two i-Series lines a lot of focus will be here as time goes on. Its cliché, but they do look better in hand. Additionally, good on PING for dipping their toes into the “no-upcharge” shaft trend w/ 2 CFS options and 4 other shaft options.

Will have some more specific specs up soon and will update this post.

Specifications:
CLUBLOFTLENGTHOFFSETLIEBOUNCE WIDTHSWING WEIGHTDEXTERITY
3-Iron20.00°39.00"0.21"59.63°0.54"D1RH/LH
4-Iron23.00°38.50"0.19"59.81°0.57"D1RH/LH
5-Iron26.00°38.00"0.17"60.75°0.61"D1RH/LH
6-Iron29.00°37.50"0.14"61.69°0.64"D1RH/LH
7-Iron32.00°37.00"0.09"62.63°0.66"D1RH/LH
8-Iron36.00°36.50"0.07"63.56°0.66"D1RH/LH
9-Iron41.00°36.00"0.05"64.50°0.66"D1RH/LH
Pitching Wedge45.00°35.50"0.03"64.75°0.63"D2RH/LH
Utility Wedge50.00°35.50"0.03"64.75°0.67"D2RH/LH

Information from PING on the new iE1 Irons:

PING engineers used 431 stainless steel for its high strength-to-weight ratio and softer feel to deliver workability and trajectory control with forgiveness. Larger head sizes and low/back CG positions in the long irons offer forgiveness and distance where golfers need them most. The smaller short irons and wedges provide precision and control. Workability comes from a head and hosel geometry that ensures trajectory control for precise shot-making.

Weight savings from the 431 SS and the deeper Custom Tuning Port position allow for expanded perimeter weighting. A tungsten toe weight in the 3 thru 7 irons increases forgiveness. An elastomer CTP weight tucks into the tuning port, which is lower on the face to align with the impact area for a more solid sound and feel.

The sole glides through the turf with ease, ensuring the solid contact required to play with control and consistency. An optimized, versatile bounce profile delivers exceptional performance in all conditions.
The thin top rail and minimal offset create a confidence-inspiring look at address. Lengths and lofts are optimized to increase distance with proper gapping. With two PING shaft choices and four popular after-market stock options, golfers can match a shaft to their ball flight and feel preferences.

• Available 3-9, PW, UW
  • Stock steel shaft: PING CFS Distance (Soft R, R, S, X)
  • Stock graphite shaft: PING CFS Graphite (65 Soft R, 70 R, 80 S)
  • After-market stock shaft options (no upcharge): Dynamic Gold S300, X100; Project X 5.0, 6.0; XP 95 (R, S), N.S. Pro Modus3 105 (S, X)
  • U.S. MSRP: $135 per club w/steel shaft; $150 per club w/graphite shaft

In-Hand Images:

DSC_1307-XL.jpg

DSC_1289-XL.jpg

DSC_1287-XL.jpg

DSC_1290-XL.jpg

DSC_0038-XL.jpg

DSC_1294-XL.jpg

DSC_1296-XL.jpg

DSC_1295-XL.jpg

DSC_1297-XL.jpg

DSC_1298-XL.jpg

DSC_1300-XL.jpg

DSC_1301-XL.jpg

DSC_1304-XL.jpg

DSC_1306-XL.jpg

DSC_1308-XL.jpg

DSC_1312-XL.jpg

DSC_1311-XL.jpg

DSC_1305-XL.jpg

DSC_1309-XL.jpg

Individual Iron Images (In Spoilers):
3i:
Spoiler

DSC_1313-XL.jpg

DSC_1314-XL.jpg

DSC_0001-XL.jpg

DSC_0003-XL.jpg

4i:
Spoiler

DSC_0004-XL.jpg

DSC_0005-XL.jpg

DSC_0006-XL.jpg

DSC_0007-XL.jpg

5i:
Spoiler

DSC_0008-XL.jpg

DSC_0010-XL.jpg

DSC_0009-XL.jpg

DSC_0012-XL.jpg

6i:
Spoiler

DSC_0013-XL.jpg

DSC_0014-XL.jpg

DSC_0015-XL.jpg

DSC_0016-XL.jpg

7i:
Spoiler

DSC_0017-XL.jpg

DSC_0018-XL.jpg

DSC_0019-XL.jpg

DSC_0020-XL.jpg

8i:
Spoiler

DSC_0021-XL.jpg

DSC_0022-XL.jpg

DSC_0023-XL.jpg

DSC_0025-XL.jpg

9i:
Spoiler

DSC_0026-XL.jpg

DSC_0027-XL.jpg

DSC_0028-XL.jpg

DSC_0029-XL.jpg

PW:
Spoiler

DSC_0030-XL.jpg

DSC_0031-XL.jpg

DSC_0032-XL.jpg

DSC_0033-XL.jpg

UW:
Spoiler

DSC_0034-XL.jpg

DSC_0035-XL.jpg

DSC_0036-XL.jpg

DSC_0037-XL.jpg

Stunning. Just stunning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pricing of $135 per club for steel means $1,080 MSRP for a 4-UW Set. Wowza

Specs added to my first post!

Will be headed to the range and course today here in an hour or so.

I've already seen them for $874.99 4-PW on PGA superstore though...$124 isn't overpriced in the market at all. that puts them $999 4-UW which is normal market price for an 8 piece set.

Also, as you will see in the pics, the tungsten in the toe of the 3-7i are blended incredibly well this go around, which is a bit different to me, most companies want the tech to be visible nowadays.

Additionally, PING has done away with the set SW and LW.

Great pics, some really sharp looking irons IMO

Also, as you will see in the pics, the tungsten in the toe of the 3-7i are blended incredibly well this go around, which is a bit different to me, most companies want the tech to be visible nowadays.

I think the Glide wedges would look great with this set. But I've become a huge fan of the set wedges so that's sad to see

Total 180 complete

James great pics as always
More modern I series. Little longer and little stronger. Can't wait to hit them with the different material to see if they still have that PING feel and sound that I adore. And yes I want them.

I've already seen them for $874.99 4-PW on PGA superstore though...$124 isn't overpriced in the market at all. that puts them $999 4-UW which is normal market price for an 8 piece set.

Yup prices are certainly going that way. Still plenty of options for those out there who don't want to drop a grand on a set of irons though.

These look great.

I've never had an issue with Ping only offering their shafts as stock before, but with the market moving in the direction of aftermarket, it was really time for them to jump on that boat.

Really looking forward to your thought Jman. These have a lot of live up to after the great reviews of the I25's.

Man I love that finish. I hope it looks that good in person

Love the finish on these. Looking forward to some performance updates

Wow!! Those look very sharp.

those look nice. pricing seem on par for other sets in that market. will be looking forward to more info from the course.

excited about these and can't wait to get a comparison vs the i25s if indeed there is enough upgrade to go and ditch the i25s.

Any doubt I had about the looks are gone. Great pics Jamesman! Can't wait for your feedback. I must hit these...

KILLER photos Mr Miles. Digging the looks of these, trendy yet a bit classic IMO. Need to hit is a certainty.

I think the Glide wedges would look great with this set. But I've become a huge fan of the set wedges so that's sad to see
How many people play set sw and lw though? Very few, the uw is safe and sound so I'm happy. Hahahaha
James great pics as always
More modern I series. Little longer and little stronger. Can't wait to hit them with the different material to see if they still have that PING feel and sound that I adore. And yes I want them.

First thing on my list.
Man I love that finish. I hope it looks that good in person
Better imo, its got some throwback ping to it.

These ones are just kind meh to me. In hand photos definitely look better tho. I'm excited to see their next "players" irons.

I was a big fan of the SW and LW in the i25 set. But the glides are fantastic.

As for price, I'm not surprised. I believe the G30 came in at a slightly higher price than the previous lines had.

Looking forward to your thoughts on these, and getting to try these at some point.

How many people play set sw and lw though? Very few, the uw is safe and sound so I'm happy. Hahahaha

I dug the SW & LW in the i20s, but with the PM grind would probably only be interested in the SW now. Certainly not a deal breaker. UW is a must though. :D Still wish I had my i20 UW... Best set gap wedge I've ever gamed.

Back