JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Since people are talking about these in the i210 thread, I figure there should be a new thread on them here. We can start giving out information soon.

UPDATED with Official Press Release:

PING introduces two
high-performance irons

PHOENIX (July 16, 2018): Continuing its reputation as a leader in high-performance iron designs engineered to provide the exceptional distance, forgiveness and precision today’s golfer demands, PING introduced the i500 and i210 irons today. The new irons are available for custom fitting and pre-order at authorized PING golf shops around the world beginning today.

“Unlike a lot of irons on the market, PING irons are created without sacrificing the performance attributes all golfers need to improve the distance, accuracy and consistency they require from their iron play,” said John K. Solheim, PING President. “In the i500 and i210, we’re offering two distinctly different technology platforms to give golfers additional choices and fitting options. The i500 delivers unbelievable distance with amazingly high ball flights. In our testing, some golfers gained as much as 15 yards with the i500. In the i210 iron, we focused on designing a club that ensures a soft, buttery feel with the distance precision to attack flagsticks. We’re already seeing a lot of our tour players seamlessly transition into the i210 iron.”

The sleek-shaped i500 iron employs much of the same technology as the popular G700 iron in a smaller, more compact, muscle-back appearance. Its forged, C300 maraging-steel face is precision milled and combined with a 17-4 stainless steel body to create metal-wood-like performance, generating significant ball-speed increases and lower-spinning, higher-flying shots with stopping power.

“With the forged, maraging-steel face and metal-wood-like construction of the internal cavity, we’re seeing five times the face flexing,” Solheim said. “Golfers are experiencing significant ball-speed gains, which translates to more distance and a higher overall ball flight so the ball holds the green. The trajectory is unlike anything we’ve seen in an iron its size. They can expect to hit one less club into the green when properly fit for the new i500 iron. They’ll be amazed at the power and performance engineered into an iron this size. On top of that, it has a blade-style look at address with less offset, which a lot of golfers prefer.”

In the compact i210 iron, PING’s engineers put a premium on the feel and precision by leveraging a patented multi-material construction that combines a 431 stainless steel head with a larger and softer elastomer insert. The additional volume of the custom tuning port, which also increases perimeter weighting and provides swingweight fine tuning, allows for a 30% larger insert and creates 25% more face contact, resulting in activation of the elastomer to produce a soft and pleasing feel. They also took great care in refining the shape and look to ensure the iron appealed to the discerning golfer’s eye.

“The soft feel of the i210 irons is unlike any we’ve ever offered,” said Solheim. “We know players who rely on precise iron play also require exceptional feel to control their ball flight and trajectories. The improvements to the tuning port and elastomer insert along with the exacting, refined details of the i210 iron offer a new level of performance for this style of iron.”

The i210 iron’s face and grooves are precision milled as is the cavity, giving it a high-end appearance. Tighter groove spacing in the pitching wedge and U-wedge provides greater precision and helps prevent fliers on shots where control matters most. A new hydropearl chrome 2.0 finish repels water to greatly improve consistency from the rough and wet conditions.

i500 Irons Specifications
Multi-material construction: Forged, maraging steel, precision-milled face. Precision-milled grooves. 17-4 stainless steel head. HydroPearl Chrome 2.0 finish.

Available 3-9, PW, UW in 10 color codes (lie angle).

Stock steel and graphite shafts: True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 (R300, S300), UST Mamiya Recoil ES SMAC (760A, 780R, 780S)

Aftermarket shaft options (no upcharge): True Temper Dynamic Gold (S300, X100), True Temper Dynamic Gold 120 (S300, X100), Project X LZ (5.0, 5.5, 6.0, 6.5), True Temper XP95 (R,S), Nippon NS Pro Modus 105 (R,S,X), KBS Tour (R,S,X)

Standard grip: Golf Pride Tour Velvet in six sizes (Blue -1/16", Red -1/32", Aqua -1/64", White Std., Gold +1/32", Orange +1/16")

U.S. MSRP: $175 per iron w/steel shaft; $190 per iron w/graphite shaft

i210 Irons Specifications
Multi-material construction: 431 stainless steel head. Elastomer CTP insert. Machined face, grooves and cavity. HydroPearl Chrome 2.0 finish.

Available 3-9, PW, UW in 10 color codes (lie angle).

Stock steel and graphite shafts: True Temper Dynamic Gold 120 (S300, X100), ALTA CB (Soft R, Regular, Stiff)

Aftermarket shaft options (no upcharge): True Temper Dynamic Gold (S300, X100), True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 (R300, S300), Project X LZ (5.0, 5.5, 6.0, 6.5), True Temper XP95 (R,S), Nippon NS Pro Modus 105 (R,S,X), KBS Tour (R,S,X)

Standard grip: Golf Pride Tour Velvet in six sizes (Blue -1/16", Red -1/32", Aqua -1/64", White Std., Gold +1/32", Orange +1/16")

U.S. MSRP: $137.50 per iron w/steel shaft; $152.50 per iron w/graphite shaft

Last edited by a moderator:
Can’t wait to find out some concrete info on these because they are stunning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking forward to seeing some images.

I have a fitting on Wednesday and I am really sad that these won't be in the fitting cart by then. :-(

Eager to see these in hand, PING really going after it based on pics, imo.

There are some newer, in-hand photos floating around on the inter webs and my my my they are nice

I'm seriously looking at pulling the trigger on these babies. Would seriously like the embargo to be lifted and direct information from Ping to be released. With all of the unknown and not being able to demo these, I'm not sure if they are really for me, or possible a G700/i500 combo set. A combo set does have strong personal appeal.

I'm seriously looking at pulling the trigger on these babies. Would seriously like the embargo to be lifted and direct information from Ping to be released. With all of the unknown and not being able to demo these, I'm not sure if they are really for me, or possible a G700/i500 combo set. A combo set does have strong personal appeal.

Not sure what your game is like but we are a similar cap. I will probably be able to hit them next week and will give you my impressions and thoughts for sure. If you have specific questions, let me know. As of now, I’m leaning towards the i210, because it looks a little more forgiving and i like the traditional lofts. But since we don’t know lofts on i500, that could change.

I love what I've seen so far but I really need to see more

Push it back!

Just emailed the fitter. I'm not sure I want to wait too much longer though. Plus fiancee is out of town until the end of the week and I am not sure I want to tell her that I am do a second fitting this year ��

Not sure what your game is like but we are a similar cap. I will probably be able to hit them next week and will give you my impressions and thoughts for sure. If you have specific questions, let me know. As of now, I’m leaning towards the i210, because it looks a little more forgiving and i like the traditional lofts. But since we don’t know lofts on i500, that could change.

According to some there will be std lofts , power lofts AND retro lofts! Based on i200s I believe

These are very appealing and I’m excited to find out more! The Ping Vault Tour should help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They are absolutely killing it with their latest releases. G400 drivers best lineup, g400 woods and hybrid are legit and g400 irons seem to be doing well and now we get the new i lineup of irons. Both the 210 and 500 have my attention. It’s been awhile since ping irons were calling my name

I'll be looking for your insights/comments for sure!!! As you said the lofts are an unknown but everything I'm hearing this that they will be offered with three options - retro spec, regular, and power spec. It wouldn't surprise me that the i500's may be a little more forgiving that the i210's due to the hollow body design. Who really knows right now but Ping's product announcements, and early club reviews show help steer us both accordingly.

My biggest want to know is how forgiving are these really going to be? Depending on that answer a combo set could be G700 5,6,7 and i500 8,9,P,U or G700 5,6 and i500 7,8,9,P,U. There is also the possibility that my set could be entirely G700. Until more information is know and product is available to test it's all speculation up to now.

They are absolutely killing it with their latest releases. G400 drivers best lineup, g400 woods and hybrid are legit and g400 irons seem to be doing well and now we get the new i lineup of irons. Both the 210 and 500 have my attention. It’s been awhile since ping irons were calling my name

Don’t sleep on the G700’s.

Don’t sleep on the G700’s.

I still haven't ruled these guys out. Could be a full set or a combo mix with the i500's. If the i210/i500's were not available soon I probably would have gone a full set of G700's.

The pictures that I’ve seen these look great looking forward to the ultimate weekend of golf :wink:

Ok, so can someone tell me what this type of iron... well, is? Is it a players shape, but with considerable forgiveness and long distance? I have the same question in regards to the TM 790. Are these in the same category as those?

Also, if I’m a high ball hitter, should I consider power spec lofts? My rational is that the lower loft is fine with the high trajectory I seem to produce.

Ok, so can someone tell me what this type of iron... well, is? Is it a players shape, but with considerable forgiveness and long distance? I have the same question in regards to the TM 790. Are these in the same category as those?

Also, if I’m a high ball hitter, should I consider power spec lofts? My rational is that the lower loft is fine with the high trajectory I seem to produce.
Irons like these blur the lines, and are a big reason the category system we all revert to (players, GI, sgi, etc) is archaic.

Irons like these blur the lines, and are a big reason the category system we all revert to (players, GI, sgi, etc) is archaic.

I almost feel schooled. Ha.

So Jman, how would you describe them?

I almost feel schooled. Ha.

So Jman, how would you describe them?
Hahaha

I'm no sure, honestly. I know some here harp on categories relentlessly, but I believe they have merit for making it easy for the consumer to grasp concept. This is something I've thought about a lot, and still don't have an answer for.

Hahaha

I'm no sure, honestly. I know some here harp on categories relentlessly, but I believe they have merit for making it easy for the consumer to grasp concept. This is something I've thought about a lot, and still don't have an answer for.

Two great posts. I know the categories makes it easier for companies to market/advertise to golfers but after hitting numerous clubs in various categories especially since last falls release cycle I'm hoping the industry moves away from it and maybe into something that tells a story about the tech, what the benefits are for each lineup and push goin to get fit and let the experts and golfe figure out what's best. Good thing about golf is people can play what the want for whatever they want but i think too many are playing clubs that aren't helping them...raises hand as one who has been in that group.

With that said I think these like the iBlade are that new look blade. Size and shape of what most want to see with smaller topline and blade"y" but designed to give some forgiveness while allowing workability.

Back