Play Hole 17 at Dormie Club

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This was one heck of a golf hole after being there last week. The 17th is a par 5 and is pretty crazy in that you could play it 5 times and play it a different way 5 times.

Screen Shot 2022-08-02 at 10.56.40 AM.png

Here is a video look at what you see with some thoughts on how to play it.

For what its worth this hole is a BEAST and one of my favorites on the course

I typically hit a little fade or hit driver straight so I would be aiming at the edge of the right side of the short bunker on the left. If I am able to get it in the fairway I am going for it in two.

With that severe upslope I definitely won't be going for it in two. So careful layup short of the huge bunker & try to hit the green in regulation & take my two putt par. May get lucky & hit the right tier & have a legit shot at birdie. Above all, play safe on this one. It could beat you up if you're not careful :unsure:

Assuming the distance is around 520 yards I’d probably take driver and aim down the middle and try to trace the hole with a fade. On the second shot I’d hit a hybrid and start it off the right side of the green. If I’m lucky it will make it up to the green but no harm coming up a little short

Well, not going at it in two, so 220, lay up club, then stick my approach.

I’d just try to make it in three. I do love that the bunker looks like it has a sad face.

What is the carry # from that driver landing spot to carry that bunker?

Three shot hole for me. I would hope to hit three good shots and be on the green.

Line up slightly left of the Oak, hit a fade between the bunkers, lay up at the end of the fairway before the hells half acre, then wedge to 9!into the green.

going with my new strategy of 3 shotting any halfway tight par 5.

6i off the tee. layup short of the bunker whatever that is. go from there.

For my distances and how I hit certain clubs, the risk is crazy high to get aggressive. Think I’m hitting hybrid off the tee, then laying up, and trying to avoid as much danger as possible on the way to the green. Try for 2 sensical shots to set up the approach.

How penal are the first set of FW bunkers? My first thought is hit driver, hope I get around those and then have a shot to hit the green in 2 or at least get it in the fairway past the cross bunker. If I hit the first set of fairway bunkers, pretty straightforward wedge to layup short of the cross bunker and have a wedge in

How penal are the first set of FW bunkers? My first thought is hit driver, hope I get around those and then have a shot to hit the green in 2 or at least get it in the fairway past the cross bunker. If I hit the first set of fairway bunkers, pretty straightforward wedge to layup short of the cross bunker and have a wedge in
They can be penal. Its a natural course, so no rakes, but there are only 50 or so golfers a day, so no real craziness.

A tough tough hole. We played it from the Blue and white tees and it is a three shot hole to get home. I don’t even think @jdtox got there in two…just can’t remember.

What is the carry # from that driver landing spot to carry that bunker?
If memory serves me correctly…about 260+.

following the guide. Usually play with a nice easy draw at the oak tree and nice short lay up leaving hopefully a great shot on the green for a birdie try! bunkers look punitive

All I can think is that there are a lot of places for me to get in trouble on that hole.

On paper, it looks like a definite 3 shot par 5. That large sand pit that bifurcates the fairway is ominous.

On paper, it looks like a definite 3 shot par 5. That large sand pit that bifurcates the fairway is ominous.
3 shot hole for me and I am staying clear of anything that birfurcates!:D

I'm going 4W off the tee to hopefully protect me from the two right fairway bunkers by being in between them. Then most likely laying up between the expansive fairway bunker and the green.

Will be dictated 100% by tee shot obviously. But my goal going into it would be driver cut off the left bunkers hopefully leaving myself a look to go in 2. If I’m more than 230 left I’m laying up before the bunker to give myself a good 3rd in.

A tough tough hole. We played it from the Blue and white tees and it is a three shot hole to get home. I don’t even think @jdtox got there in two…just can’t remember.
The last time we played I just got to the front edge with a perfect drive and heck of a second shot, that was given 2 perfect swings really. I agree in most cases its a 3 shot hole up that hill.

3 Wood at the right hand bunker (cant reach), then 7 wood to layup short of hells half acre, 9 iron to middle of the green?

Back