Drive the green....internet golf. :ROFLMAO:

Get my fairway finder out (18*h/4i/5i) and aim at the bunker. Not gonna get close to it and at worse I would have 9i into the green. Don't really see this as a super difficult opening hole. I would never hit driver as the marginal swing brings water into play.

Drive the green....internet golf. :ROFLMAO:

Get my fairway finder out (18*h/4i/5i) and aim at the bunker. Not gonna get close to it and at worse I would have 9i into the green. Don't really see this as a super difficult opening hole. I would never hit driver as the marginal swing brings water into play.

Out of curiosity, what would make a hole difficult?
This one has trouble on both sides off the tee. Trouble on both sides, as well as front and back on approach into the green.

Man that's an intimidating hole. The smart play for me would be 5 iron and then probably 8 or 9 iron into the green. I'm not smart alot of the time though so I would pull driver and hope I didn't over fade the shot and then hit a wedge into the green.

My general rule is never hit driver on a par 4 shorter than 390 yards so I’d hit 3 wood and hopefully have an SW or GW left to the green which means I could go right at the flag with my approach shot.

Out of curiosity, what would make a hole difficult?
This one has trouble on both sides off the tee. Trouble on both sides, as well as front and back on approach into the green.

I have never played that course so I don't have perspective on how tight the fairway is so I will say that. To me that picture looks as though the fairway is fair and not a total runway. So when I look at it the water is the big hazard. So I play more towards the left. It doesn't force me to hit towards the OB left trees.

So to answer the question what would make a hole difficult is a forced carry, say the water came into the fairway at 200 yds from tee. That means you have to fly the water or lay up and have a 190ish yd shot into green. Another one is if the fairway really started to narrow past lets say 200 yds again.

To me this hole basically says don't hit driver, hit something straight, and you give yourself an opportunity to fly an approach in or even bump and run it in if you are scared of the water long. I wouldn't say the hole is easy but it also breaks down to shots I can hit. 220 off tee with my hybrid leaves 140-150. I can play many shots with that. My hybrid isn't a snap hook machine so I would feel confident. My 5i depending on wind could leave me with a 7 iron max which could create a pucker factor on the approach but I still have that in my bag.

Reactions: JB
However I got there, no way I would come away any better than a triple or quad. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

There are some long 4-irons in here.

It really is a brutal first tee shot.

Apparently the designer disagreed with the Donald Ross view that the first hole should be like a "gentle handshake."

I'd have to go 5W and 7 iron, given what I think my distances are with the new irons. It's why I bring lots of balls.

I'd like to say I could hit a perfect little cut off the tee with a 3 wood setting up for a nice 80 shot to the green letting it feed to that pin. But, being the first hole, I would likely take my Epic Forged 4 iron out for a ride and have a wedge of some sort in hand.

driver everytime haha. leaving roughly 130 (not mathing real hard here haha. roughly 245 ish drive)?

then go with pitching wedge either full, choked, or smooth 11-3 swing.

How I should play it is 1 iron off the tee then 6 or 7 iron on the green.

Reality: Driver sliced into the water, take distance & penalty, duff the next shot, blade a wedge over the green, pitch on & 3 putt. Walk back to the bag & grab the JD.

1st time I play it, I'm going with 4 iron 8 iron. If I was playing there full time, I could see how safe my driver was there.

How I should play it is 1 iron off the tee then 6 or 7 iron on the green.

Reality: Driver sliced into the water, take distance & penalty, duff the next shot, blade a wedge over the green, pitch on & 3 putt. Walk back to the bag & grab the JD.
I was thinking about driver into the yard of the house on the other side of the lake and PW haha.

Impossible to say without knowing how narrow the hole actually is. My strategy could be anything from 3w short of the bunker to 7 iron off the tee.

EDIT: Looked the course up, my strategy would be 3w short of the bunker. There is almost 70 yards between penalty hazards which is enough room that a decent shot will still be in play.

Last edited:
For me, it would depend on how confident I am with my swing at that moment. Historically, I am very straight with driver and I need to take advantage of shorter holes. Since I would most likely not be able to hit it through the 285 mark, I would hit driver and wedge, if I am feeling good about my swing. If not, I hit either 5 wood or my longest hybrid and likely 8 or 9 iron.

Driver
PW/9 iron
2 putt par

I would hit driver then 8/7 iron. I'm sure Dan @Canadan would hit an easy driver then putt for eagle.

FW down the left side, SW in. Assuming a nicely struck fw of course.

I would probably hit a 5 or 6 iron and leave a 9-Gw in.

4h, 3h or 3wd off the tee most likely and then hopefully a wedge and definitley no more than a 9i in

Hmmm... safe play is probably either 2i or 2h off the tee depending on how windy, but I'm tempted to hit 3w to leave a shorter approach. That would leave somewhere between 9i and GW coming in, either of which I'm fine with.

Probably go with the 3w as that usually flies pretty straight for me then 9 iron in and hopefully stick it in the middle of the green.

Back