Playing Clubs Above Your Pay Grade (Skill Level)

Johnny Hack

Proud To Have Served
Reaction score
Case in Point here is this:

I am A Lower Single Digit Handicapper and when I am swinging well there isn't a club that I feel I cant hit, when not swinging well, well you know what the results are!
I have been playing a Taylor Made SLDR 430 10.5 Stock Fuji Stiff Shaft driver for about 4+ months now and when I am swinging well, it has given me back some of my "Lost Youth" as far as distance goes. But when I am not making consistent center contact it can cost me some (still not bad but not long).
I am willing to keep playing this driver as I tend to have more "On" days than "Off".

My question to all is do you have such a club in your bag, one that when you "Pure" it is just the Beast that you have always wanted, but when you don't strike it well you wonder "What the Heck am I doing with this in my bag" or do you tend to ignore those bad shots cause the "Pured" shots just outweigh the bad ones to the point that you just don't give a Rats Behind?

I have 14 clubs in my bag that could be problematic on any given day.

I am a high handicapper and I feel this way about all my clubs? Especially 6 iron through driver. :)

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

All clubs are seemingly above my ability to hit them when my swing goes awry.

I am very happy to say that I do not have a single club in my bag that I'm not confident in. Not to say I won't miss hit any of them, as that will happen often, but that's all on me. My equipment right now performs beautifully for me

I have clubs in my bag labelled "Pro" however I have not seen Pros gaming these. So it's hard to say if they're above my pay grade or if it's just marketing because the manufacturer knows I'm a sucker.

Just ask Sir Tiger Woods. Even the best may lose their way and be playing gear and golf courses above their pay grade. I'm no different.

I also game the 430. The best driver ever. No questions asked. But when I'm off I go back to the 3 deep 14.5 * X2 HOT FAIRWAY. ...

Does this mean I'm quiting on a good thing. No way. Just sends me back to the range for some moving and grooving until my swing gets back to where it belongs.

So. Yeap. This is golf. For one and all.

My putter. Pretty sure at times that it has a manufacturer defect!

I think I hit more pureed shots than "pured" shots. I can hit a ball into a tree with any club. And get this. If there is one thin branch that is my way, and that is the only thing that I have a remote possibility of hitting, I will hit it - square. I am that good. I once tried to hit a ball out of the woods on a punch shot and missed it and had it ricochet off 5 trees and nearly kill me. I've even four putted after getting onto a par 5 green in two. I'm the only woman in my club to have thrown her putter with the one handed wrist toss. So pick a club in the bag.

My irons. I bought them mainly as a teaching tool, and they are undoubtedly harder to control than my old cavity backs due to the ball actually drawing/fading now, but I'm loving hitting them. I like the challenge. It makes that perfect shot even better.

If my dad could hit blades growing up, I'll be damned if I can't.

Im a mid capper playing MC irons. They are probably a step above my pay grade.

Pured shots are awesome, and this year, thanks to a tremendous amount of work, my missed shots arent big distance losses. I have the occasional big side to side miss (a blocked shot right now). But that isnt the clubs fault.

~Rock

Yep, my sldr driver. When I hit on the screws it goes and goes which is about 80% of the time. The other times..... well let's not talk about those.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I've learned that I can miss just as bad regardless of the club design as it relates to players/GI/SGI, etc.

Sure the SGI designs will offer a bit more forgiveness but it all comes down to what you crave and what you are okay dealing with as far as results of poor struck shots.

For some reason, I seem to hit traditional irons (let's just call them Apex, 545's, J40's, etc) better than I do SGI designs. Doesn't make sense and I'm about done trying to make sense of it.

We aren't getting paid to play golf so damn the skeptics and haters. Play what makes YOU happy.

I've learned that I can miss just as bad regardless of the club design as it relates to players/GI/SGI, etc.

Sure the SGI designs will offer a bit more forgiveness but it all comes down to what you crave and what you are okay dealing with as far as results of poor struck shots.

For some reason, I seem to hit traditional irons (let's just call them Apex, 545's, J40's, etc) better than I do SGI designs. Doesn't make sense and I'm about done trying to make sense of it.

We aren't getting paid to play golf so damn the skeptics and haters. Play what makes YOU happy.

It might be a shaft weight issue. I've found I am actually less consistent with SGI/GI clubs due to the ultra light shafts (75-90 grams) that usually come as stock offerings. I've found my swing is much more consistent with a 100-120 gram shaft. Same thing in Driver shafts. Light weight is a no go for me. I need something in the high 60s as a minimum. Anything in the 50s is a recipe for disaster.

The Internet is awesome :)

It might be a shaft weight issue. I've found I am actually less consistent with SGI/GI clubs due to the ultra light shafts (75-90 grams) that usually come as stock offerings. I've found my swing is much more consistent with a 100-120 gram shaft. Same thing in Driver shafts. Light weight is a no go for me. I need something in the high 60s as a minimum. Anything in the 50s is a recipe for disaster.

I seem to have difficulties with really light iron shafts. For some reason woods don't bother me as much.

I bought a couple hybrids a while ago the I just couldn't get up in the air. I hit most things pretty low anyway so it was an issue. The pro thought the shafts were not a good fit for me and I replaced them and doing better with those clubs.

If I didn't have a club or 2 giving me grief something would be wrong. There's always something not working on any given day.

Play what makes you happy, no need to justify anything. Just don't say blades make you concentrate harder hahahaha

Play what makes you happy, no need to justify anything. Just don't say blades make you concentrate harder hahahaha
But it does :alien:

My 3w and hybrids give me issues.

When I am hitting them good life is well, if i'm not than I am hooking the crap out of them!

The clubs in my bag are all very "forgiving." Its me and my swing that challenge that forgiveness every round!

I was playing irons that were above my skill level (W/S FG Tours) for the only reason that I hated the low lofts of modern game-improvement clubs. I finally found an un-used set of older Wilson Deep Red IIs that have the normal lofts of a players iron. I also dislike the busy cavity-backs of modern clubs. The Deep Red IIs give me the forgiveness that I need with the cleaner lines and minimal offset of a players iron without breaking the bank.

The only clubs in my bag I wouldn't classify as '' very forgiving '' is my wedges, and maybe 3 wood. Driver, hybrid, irons and putter would all be on the forgiving side.

Use whatever lets you enjoy the game, I say.

For me, I'd weigh the benefits vs the drawbacks... what's the best shot I get with it, and how often? What's the more typical miss and what's the consequence of it. If the difference is so big that I have to gamble on which shot I'm going to hit and guessing wrong means penalty strokes it's probably not a good idea.

I'm not thinking about swings as much as a club that requires more precision or a more repeatable swing than I'm capable of.

I have a wedge like that, I can stick it when I am playing good, other times its fat, thin, left or right.

Back