Posting etiquette - Posting content from social media and how far back to you look for a repost?

echico

#MOIJacking
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I saw someone say they don't like posting Instagram posts on here and it got me wondering.

Do you think it is bad to post a link to Instagram or YouTube into the forum here? I totally get not posting an article or review from another golf forum as that seems a bit tacky. Where do you stand on that?

I also see a lot of double posts of the same tweet or instagram reel. How far back do you go in the thread before posting to make sure it is not a double post? Something like the NFL thread I look at the time of the tweet and go back to that point. If it is 4-5 pages to go through I give up and don't post it. :ROFLMAO: For threads that don't move as fast I will check a page or two.

There is no right answer just wanted to see what the masses think.

I've never thought it to be an issue. The only issue for me would be is the content I am posting something that is considered to be over the top in terms of a hot topic, or other areas of concern etc.

Sometimes, I am genuinely interested in hearing what the forum has to say on something I found online.

I think anything posted publicly/for public consumption on social media is fine to post here. That's how i've always looked at it

THP seems to care a lot less about content from other golf forums than vice versa (other places will go as far as blank out the names of other forums if they are mentioned, and links from here for example would not be allowed). However out of respect i still would try to avoid doing it, even if THP is OK with it

One thing I always struggle with is when to post a YouTube video in a specific thread or start a new thread.

I have started a few threads with Bryson videos that I used to post in the Bryson thread. They got no discussion in the Bryson thread but they do if I make a thread. I just don't want to keep opening a thread every time I see an interesting YouTube video. :ROFLMAO:

I post Instagram and twitter links all the time. Info is relevant. There are things that should be thought about posting though. Such as posting a link to a different review of something immediately after the THP review thread may drop. It happens all the time. Or posting links to "info" that was already covered in THP articles and threads if people would take the time to actually read them.

The posting of the same thing over and over in threads is an interesting one. Sooooo many people skim threads here it's funny. But in threads that move quick like the SB thread this weekend, I don't expect people to read every single post and go back looking to see if something was posted. But the Volt thread is a good example. 24 posts apart in a thread that isn't moving too fast to not keep up with it has the same Instagram post. Those are the things I find funny

I post Instagram and twitter links all the time. Info is relevant. There are things that should be thought about posting though. Such as posting a link to a different review of something immediately after the THP review thread may drop. It happens all the time. Or posting links to "info" that was already covered in THP articles and threads if people would take the time to actually read them.

The posting of the same thing over and over in threads is an interesting one. Sooooo many people skim threads here it's funny. But in threads that move quick like the SB thread this weekend, I don't expect people to read every single post and go back looking to see if something was posted. But the Volt thread is a good example. 24 posts apart in a thread that isn't moving too fast to not keep up with it has the same Instagram post. Those are the things I find funny
Yeah the Super Bowl threads through the years I post some memes but I don't like going back and making sure it is original. :ROFLMAO:

Follow the same unwritten rule as always... keep the content appropriate, and don't post to cause a stir. That's my thoughts at least. Post whatever linked material you like, just don't be a richard.

I do not find it to be bad form to post instagram links or youtube videos but know your audience. I do struggle with people posting youtube videos from other media outlets or links to other website articles in review threads. It happens time and time again. Our writers spend a lot of time and effort to make sure the information we put out is correct and appreciate when people actually read them instead of immediately running to youtube to find a video then post a link

I don't link too much here from the blue bird but if I do, it's because I think it's relevant and it's in a thread I've read. I try to make sure I'm not posting something someone else already had.

For me, there is a difference between healthy, courteous discourse, even if there is disagreement and offensive, contentious posting. Rule 1 is trying to make the content something that adds value (even a humorous take can add value, @MtlJeff is a master at this). Rule 2 is that links should probably not be from direct competition, such as other golf forums. Rule 3 is to try to be real in posts while also realizing that some of the OEMs are spending significant dollars on experiences that benefit forum members. Keeping those rules in mind, I say post anything permitted by the forum rules.

When relevant to the topic no problem with it, but keep it within reason. As some others have mentioned already, I personally wouldn't post other reviews/write ups or links to other golf media outlets in one of the THP staff's reviews. That's tacky in my opinion- but a tweet/instagram post that's relelvant to the topic being discussed is a thumbs up in my book.

I post and usually don't worry much about replication. I'm of the mindset that we are all probably consuming some of the same stuff, but with my posts I like to add my 2cents along with the link

I have no problem with it. It’s usually something I wouldn’t have found and appreciate it IF it’s on topic and as mentioned above not over the top.

As far as double posts go, it’s easy enough to scroll past them so it’s all good. (Especially the Taylor swift madden cover. That never gets old to me)

I will usually do a quick search and if something doesn't show up I will go ahead and post.

I will admit I have posted content from another board on occasion if I think it will be interesting and I can't find anything about it on this board. I will always preface it with feel free to remove if not appropriate.

I try to make good judgement. sometimes I am right. Sometimes I am not..

I do not find it to be bad form to post instagram links or youtube videos but know your audience. I do struggle with people posting youtube videos from other media outlets or links to other website articles in review threads. It happens time and time again. Our writers spend a lot of time and effort to make sure the information we put out is correct and appreciate when people actually read them instead of immediately running to youtube to find a video then post a link
Won't lie. It took me a while to be ok with this from an ego perspective lol. It's no big deal though. All things considered, I just hope they read my take on it too and stick around to talk about whatever it is.

I get that and I have reduced my postings of equipment reviews down close to zero I think. I think people get excited and want all the info out there but most of the YouTube reviews are all repeats with some swing data in it.

Rule 3 is to try to be real in posts while also realizing that some of the OEMs are spending significant dollars on experiences that benefit forum members.
I wont get into the discussion thread, but that is not really how our experiences work.
Edit: I should add that obviously with people and equipment being inolved, there is significant dollars.

Won't lie. It took me a while to be ok with this from an ego perspective lol. It's no big deal though. All things considered, I just hope they read my take on it too and stick around to talk about whatever it is.
Because I don't do a lot of internetting other than THP, I have found one thing above nearly all else and that is the writers here put effort into their posts, when I have a question and I give it the google and then read 3 or 4 reviews of a product I find that the most fully fleshed out review tends to be THP.

I can only assume I'm not alone too, that is GETS people here - time and time again, you ask people how they found THP such a high percentage said something to the effect of "I was looking for a review of x,y,z product"

Because I don't do a lot of internetting other than THP, I have found one thing above nearly all else and that is the writers here put effort into their posts, when I have a question and I give it the google and then read 3 or 4 reviews of a product I find that the most fully fleshed out review tends to be THP.

I can only assume I'm not alone too, that is GETS people here - time and time again, you ask people how they found THP such a high percentage said something to the effect of "I was looking for a review of x,y,z product"
Appreciate that! That's how we get people in the door. The community does a great of getting them stay.

The one I struggle the most with is starting a topic discussion from podcasts outside the THP universe. Not those from the equipment/direct competitor side, as those can't touch the THP Radio Network in my opinion, but others that discuss golf at large that bring up interesting talking points I would find interesting to engage further with folks here.

I wont get into the discussion thread, but that is not really how our experiences work.
Edit: I should add that obviously with people and equipment being inolved, there is significant dollars.
That’s all I meant. I was just suggesting my thought process of trying to be courteous and mindful of the fact that there are some great OEMs (and their people) who invest time and provide resources (equipment) that truly enrich us as forum members before I post something about a company or equipment that is ill informed. I didn’t intend to suggest that they are funding the experiences or speak to those types of details. I apologize if it came across that way.

Reactions: JB

Guilty.

I also think the same way with the SB thread, or even just the NFL thread and we've all been guilty of doing it.

There's a nice catch or play, 3 people will say almost the exact same thing within a minute or two of the same time. I don't wait to see if someone else posts the nice play or heck of a catch or great shot I'll do it and then once my post comes up there might be 3 others that were posted "moments ago".

Back