Preference - yardage markers in the middle of fairways or on the side

This is how my old home course does it. These are plastic/rubber plates that are embedded flush with the ground surface. They aren't even visible from the tee, but are easy to see as you go up the fairway (the screenshot is a Google Maps screenshot - the white spots are the yardage markers). They are typically (and in the screen capture from left to right) set at 200, 175, 150, 125, 100. For a par 5 hole they add a 250 yard marker. All are professionally lasered to the center of the green.

I prefer not having anything distracting me in the middle of the fairway. These plates almost never come into play except for the rare time that the ball comes to rest near one of them. Then it's a free drop, no big deal.

i-cNtPKg4-L.jpg

I would love to have both the sides and middle.

If the option is only one, I prefer the sides.

Usually never accurate. I use my gps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive actually never played on a course that had yardage stakes in the middle of the fairway. Every course Ive ever played has had either painted bricks or yardage markers that lie flat on the fairway or had yardage stakes to the side of the fairway.
Id think that I probably wouldnt like stakes in the middle of the fairway because it would annoy me if I were close to the stake and saw it in the corner of my eye or felt like my ball might hit it.

I don't care. They are mostly for the olds, the casuals, and the feel players.

I like them in the fairway but I really dont care where they are.

I look for the the best place to hit my ball to have a good angle at the pin. It doesn't always work out but it means I do not pay attention to the yardage markers.

I like them in the middle of the fairway to use as an aiming point, but the course I play most often has a random thing: they have the black and white barber pole in the middle of each fairway... but it is a different yardage every hole. First hole 113, 2nd hole 137 etc. I have played courses that have a red and white at 100 or black and white at 150, but never the same color for different yardages, especially when they are not round numbers at all.

Doesn't matter for me, but others that aren't familiar think they are 150 out when they are a bit closer.

I like having the posts in the middle of the fairway for reasons that others have said - use it help with aim. I find that most of the courses I play though have markers in the ground that are painted.

Definitely in the middle - or on top of every sprinkler head is nice.

I look for the the best place to hit my ball to have a good angle at the pin. It doesn't always work out but it means I do not pay attention to the yardage markers.

I would agree with you that aiming towards the marker doesn't make sense if one wants to hit it elsewhere. For me, if it happens to be close to my ideal line, I find that it focuses my thinking and aim better than if it is not there. That certainly is a call for me to figure out how to be equally well aimed when there isn't that strong a target to key off of.

I do like yardage markers and marked sprinkler heads on a course, but, don't have a strong preference as to where they put the markers. I was a member at a course that used bluebird houses on the side of the fairway at 150. They were kind of cool. I'm not particularly fond of shrubs being used for obvious reasons.

I tend to break posts in the middle of the fairway, so for the course's sake they should be on the side.

Honestly I really dont pay attention to anything but the 150 marker so it really doesn't matter to me.

I dont have a preference either way as long as there is something. My home course moved to markers in the center but they are flush with the ground and I dont like that setup. I want something sticking up that's noticable from wherever Im standing.

I think it would be great if my county courses had marker stakes to begin with and I don't care if they are on the sides or the middle. Nowadays most foursomes have at least one if not 2 players with laser or gps so its gotten so these markers are less needed. I use a gps my self but to be honest. Stakes at 100,150, 200 would great and convenient anyway. My old place of residence county used red,whit, blu stakes and it just made things sooo easy. I always hated searching for sprinkler heads especially if on an unfamiliar course. Gps or not, stakes are very easy and helpful for pace too.

Ive actually never played on a course that had yardage stakes in the middle of the fairway. Every course Ive ever played has had either painted bricks or yardage markers that lie flat on the fairway or had yardage stakes to the side of the fairway.
Id think that I probably wouldnt like stakes in the middle of the fairway because it would annoy me if I were close to the stake and saw it in the corner of my eye or felt like my ball might hit it.

You can usually remove them.

Ours have always been in the middle, about a foot tall and most of the course's in my area are the same, so I'm use to them.

I don't care. They are mostly for the olds, the casuals, and the feel players.

Who you calling old Hawk.....I will send OG down to take care of you :deadhorse:

I have played courses with markers at the sides, plates in the ground in the fairway and also those with distances from sprinkler heads and I don't really mind which one courses use - having all 3 variations together will certainly help a lot of players to get distances quicker if they don't have a rangefinder or GPS

Obviously stakes are easier to spot, especially if a course doesn't prevent the grass from growing over any plates in the ground, but now having a GPS watch means I don't tend to look at them as often as I previously would

I have real bad eye sight. So I prefer in the middle and I prefer a big plate (blue/white/red). Once I see that I can walk it off from there. Little sprinkler head markers are just too tough for me to find. Why I enjoy the old courses, the plates are huge and I even saw a few guys hit them and the ball would shoot up a few more yards. So much easier to find and doesn't make me search around like a wild goose chase trying to find them

Don't need them anymore now that I have a rangefinder...haha. Wherever they are is fine with me.

I like that 150 stick in the middle of the fairway. It helps with aiming and my plan to play the hole.

It looks cooler when they are in the middle, but i don't really pay attention to them much, other than gaging how far I want to hit my tee shot

Back