Pressure: Can You Handle It??

Sometimes I do good 😎

sometimes not so good 😑

no rhyme or reason as to why

I've become so accustomed to failing under any circumstance there is no longer any pressure that it might happen.

I think anyone is lying if they say they don’t get some jitters. Stand on the first tee of a THP experience like the Morgan Cup. I’d be shocked if there isnt some nervous moments. But man, once your pad that first tee in any THP or non THP event it’s just a round of golf. If you can’t go out and enjoy it and have fun, then you’re doing it wrong. Over the years I know things settle down and you can get calm in tight spots. That either means you’re used to it, or you realize it’s not that big of a deal and your just out there to have fun.

everyone hits bad shots. I like to think my game plays well in those moments as theres absolutely no vanity to my cap. I’m an amateur golfer. I can shoot 72 one day and 92 the next. It’s less about the number you shoot but how you react to it. Just my two cents

Yeah I don't mind it. Makes the game a lot more interesting, but it's not my favorite part of pressure packed situations.

Personally? I love the two or three rounds after an event like that, or a Club Championship or whatever. Golf feels SUPER easy from an execution standpoint without pressure.

I honestly love the pressure that golf can put on you. When someone can perform under the pressure it is an amazing thing to see. On the flip side, if it doesn't work out, no big deal, everyone is getting drinks after the round!

For years I played a year end tournament that featured a horse race after day 1. Everyone from the flight, battling it out at the same time on the same hole. Finally made it to the final hole one year, myself against the top seed (and a very good golfer). Teeing off on a par three, my tee shot got to 10 feet. Opponent nuked his over the green, but recovered to tap in range. Got over that 10 footer, could have wasily pushed the hole, but everything was eerily calm with a big group watching. Rolled that putt smoother than anything I have ever hit, and won the race. The prize sucked, but the pride from knowing I could pull that off was huge.

When I first started playing in tournaments, I did not handle it well. Absolutely got nervous and did not play up to my ability. It also made them less enjoyable for me. However, the more I played, the more used to it I got, and started to play better and have more fun. By the time I got involved in THP, I was able to handle them well and play up to my ability level most of the time. I will say I have never felt pressure like I did for the final 9 holes of The Grandaddy for our singles matches, knowing the belt was on the line and within our reach. It was a feeling I thought was years behind me, and kind of threw me for a loop. Was able to settle it down, but I'm definitely glad I had previous experience leading up to it. I really do believe for most people, playing well under pressure is a skill that's developed over time.
This is me too. Outside of high school golf (where I was never in contention to actually win. Just an excuse to leave school to play), I never really played any competitive events. I played in a few all city tournaments in my early 20's and played just awful. Like you, I just didn't enjoy the pressure. If I wasn't hitting the ball all over the place, I was crushing wedges way over the greens with all the adrenaline. I took some time off from any sort of competition and finally started playing in our club championship. Nothing major or super stressful. Just view it as another round of golf. Still get a little nervous initially but it calms down after a hole or two. I don't play in too many tournaments though or in anything ultra competitive.

The Grandaddy brought out a whole new level of nerves for me, lol. It wasn't the competition that got me as much as everything else. The experience is just surreal and your head is absolutely spinning. It's a week of non stop awesome and it was difficult to focus during the golf.

Been a long long time since I’ve been able to test it. So honestly, I don’t know anymore.

Playing high school golf helped me learn how to deal with pressure at a young age. Doesn't really effect me anymore too much.

Nope, really bad at pressure scenarios

Ive enjoyed being the first off the tee at any event and had the honor to do so at the 2018 MC which I will always remember.

It is something I struggle with in tournaments. I have been tied for the lead on 35th and 36th holes of tournaments and haven’t been able to get it done. 2 I have been beaten with birdies and 2 I beat myself. One was crushing and it hurt a lot.

During my dad’s member guest there is a horse race after the 1st day and there are 150 people out watching and I don’t feel pressure in that because I love it so much and I do very well in it. It is weird how and when you feel the pressure.

I used to have a job with an above an average amount of stress and pressure and hated that part of the job. Golf and fishing were my escapes from the pressure. I do not enjoy golf while playing under pressure so I don‘t put myself in competetive situations.

Never really came up in golf thus far, but I played collegiate and professional sports, so I'm used to it. I don't recall ever feeling like I was really under pressure though.

Its not a linear answer for me.

I've hit some incredible shots under pressure and even played some incredible rounds, but I've also been at the helm during some fantastic bed crappings.

I think I handle it pretty well because I don't have many expectations and thus don't get too nervous. While I want to win and play well I just tend to focus on the fact that I'm not a pro and have known swing and game flaws. I don't get too emotional if it's going good or bad. I love to compete and want to stomp my competition but not worth losing the fun of the game and competition. This probably has helped me in the last few years as I've been pretty successful in league, match play championships and our club champ.

Never really came up in golf thus far, but I played collegiate and professional sports, so I'm used to it. I don't recall ever feeling like I was really under pressure though.
What'd you play in college and pro?

It is something I struggle with in tournaments. I have been tied for the lead on 35th and 36th holes of tournaments and haven’t been able to get it done. 2 I have been beaten with birdies and 2 I beat myself. One was crushing and it hurt a lot.

During my dad’s member guest there is a horse race after the 1st day and there are 150 people out watching and I don’t feel pressure in that because I love it so much and I do very well in it. It is weird how and when you feel the pressure.

We gotta find a 2-man comp to play in this summer! Love the competition as well!

What'd you play in college and pro?
College I played basketball for a season and a half and baseball for one season. Dislocated my knee and tore a bunch of ligaments my sophomore year. Professionally I competed in bowling. It's something I'd always done since age 2, but never actively pursued until I couldn't play other sports anymore.

We gotta find a 2-man comp to play in this summer! Love the competition as well!
Maybe we head down to Windom and play that one. It is usually the first weekend in June.

Maybe we head down to Windom and play that one. It is usually the first weekend in June.

In! Providing I don’t have graduation that day.

In! Providing I don’t have graduation that day.
The only thing I think that could be a problem is 16 man matchups.

College I played basketball for a season and a half and baseball for one season. Dislocated my knee and tore a bunch of ligaments my sophomore year. Professionally I competed in bowling. It's something I'd always done since age 2, but never actively pursued until I couldn't play other sports anymore.

That’s sweet! The sports not the knee! Played football and baseball in college. Only 1 year of CFB due to my 6th concussion in 2 years. Played 4 years of Baseball.

I’m a terrible bowler as I just throw it as hard as I can! How does one become a professional bowler?

The only thing I think that could be a problem is 16 man matchups.

That’s about when Rum plays Marsh as well. There are other MGA events too...

Back