Private or Public Club ?

fuffle master

5150 Lunatic Fringe 22’ GRANDADDY
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So, I am considering joining a Club this year and looking at the different private vs public.

Of course, the private clubs are more expensive and have nicer amenities, but trying to figure out if we would actually use those amenities.

For those that are in Private, do you use and go to the club often? Dinner, social, pool, etc?

For those that are in Public, do you generally go just for golf or do you also go to the restaurant as well on non-golf days?

The amenities are super important to us. Good dining and social mattered big time. Between that and pace of play along with the ordinary stuff like conditions and lay out made our decision easier.

This may not be very relatable, but we considered joining a private club this year with standard pool, dining, tennis amenities. My wife is not a golfer and would not get much use out of that portion of the club. Ultimately we decided that I would get a membership at a local public course and we’d get HersheyPark passes. We may not be here long-term, so the social aspect of joining the club was further down the list than it will be once we’re more permanent. A bit of a 180° but that was how we determined we would spend our time this year 😆

Currently I’m a member of a public course. It happens to be one of the best courses in the area, public or private, so I’m ok with it. The private courses in this area really cater for the 1%ers. I was a member of a private club in the UK, and I absolutely used the (limited facilities). Everyone is different, but I really enjoyed the whole thing of being a private club member, more so as the club I joined was actually owned by the membership. You also had to be proposed, seconded and interviewed before joining, so it kept the riff raff out (I somehow snuck through the net).

So, I am considering joining a Club this year and looking at the different private vs public.

Of course, the private clubs are more expensive and have nicer amenities, but trying to figure out if we would actually use those amenities.

For those that are in Private, do you use and go to the club often? Dinner, social, pool, etc?

For those that are in Public, do you generally go just for golf or do you also go to the restaurant as well on non-golf days?
Id say that if you can afford both, go private. Pace of play is going to be better, the condition of the course is going to be better, its going to be much easier to get tee times and if you care about the social aspect or the amenities at all, its just a no brainer.

I have never joined because it would have never made sense even when I played a lot (for me 50 rounds a year is a LOT), but I have a “home club”. It’s public. They don’t really have dining (dogs, brats, that’s about it) but I like to take my lady friend there after we’ve picked up food and watch the sunset (her) and the golfers coming up 9 and 18 (me). They have a huge outdoor setup. We can sit 100 ft away from anyone and just enjoy it. The couple higher end courses I play, I’ve ate their before without playing, but they’re genuinely good restaurants. I don’t do it often, on a date? That’s about it. I probably wouldn’t take the family if we were still altogether to them, but only because I have so many good options that are closer.

PS I did ask before I did this-they all know me from helping out with the HS kids and as a frequent flyer there, and they had no issues with it.

I was going through this as well. I am debating doing a pass at courses (less than stellar) with $8/$16 for 9/18. For me i like to play and get rounds when schedule allows. I would be generally playing these solo or paired up randomly. Alternative is not play as much and just use GolfNow.

Given the option, I would go private every time. For me it's the sense of community along with the food options. Plus the green grass pro shops tend to be easier to deal with than big box retailers.

I've been in both arenas a few times. Business needs and family ability to play were my primary needs for private. I'd say that if expense consideration is a high priority then you shouldn't go private. It's more about a life choice then a golf option.

Private only works if you use the club. To me, the social amenities are as important as the course. You‘ll likely spend as much time using the restaurant as the course.
If you’re not going to use them, it doesn’t make sense to me.

I feel I would get board golfing the same course all the time. Other than league (which is weekly) I golf a lot of other courses. Usually only golf 1 maybe 2 times at 30 different courses.

We do joined private a few years back and it has been nice. Can golf pretty much anytime we want, and the pace of play is great. Able to play 7 holes, 9 holes, 12 holes, and just jump around the course is good. We also use the pool a lot in the summer (a few times a week at least). Dining, maybe once a month in the restaurant, but do eat at the pool a lot. The junior golf program is pretty good as well. There are many social activities, and we've participated in some of them (not as many during the Covid stuff). Overall, pretty happy the past 2 years and will probably continue the membership this year.

My wife and I joined a private club this year. We hit the restaurant now and then, but haven’t used much of the other facilities yet. For me, the number of people on the course was a big concern. The public course in my area stays packed and even the range can be overcrowded at times. Always a lot of people on the putting green and practice area.

The private course we joined doesn’t have a huge membership and not all of them are golfers. So there’s always plenty of space at the range or putting green and I can just go out most days and play 9 or 18 holes quickly. It’s more expensive, but I’ve been able to play a lot more because I don’t have to plan for 2.5+ hours for a 9 hole round. That was worth it to me.

My previous club was a private that had gone semi-private in order to survive. I rarely ever used their pool, as I have a pool in my own backyard that isn't a 15-minute drive away and isn't filled with other people's kids and music. The fitness center was decent enough, and I used it during the 'rona when all the other gyms in town were shut down. The restaurant was very good and we ate there fairly often. We didn't participate much in the social events, as it's just not my scene. I was mostly there for the golf, several of my friends are members there and we played together 3-4 times a week. It was less crowded than the other courses in town, pace of play was faster, and we were free to jump out on a hole wherever there was an opening instead of having to start on #1.

My friend gave me sage advice @fuffle master so I'll share it with you.

1. Look at all of the amenities. Will you use them and which ones?

1a. Now that you've determined how many you'll use, how often will you honestly use them given it's not in your backyard.

2. Will you entertain people such that you'd use the amenities.

3. Do you have friends at the private club? If not what is their policy on bringing guests.

4. Look closely at fees, are there other minimums you need to consider?

5. Availability of tee times. How far out will you have to schedule a tee time and with that timing will it inhibit you from playing enough golf

I have been at a couple of different private clubs and I loved each of them. For me the decision was golf related. My current club is golf only with a restaurant (also has a small work out facility). My old club was golf, pool and restaurant. We used the pool a bit when the kids were young but not enough to justify keeping it when we got too busy with the kids.

I didn’t have a ton of friends at either club when I joined but I made friends quickly. I love having easy access to the golf course and the games I get with the members. I haven’t been at my old club for more than 10 years and am still in a regular group text with guys I used to play with all the time and only one of them is still at the club. I made great friends there. If I wasn’t looking to be near where we will move when I retire I would have rejoined my old club.

When I played public I never found a regular game or group. I didn’t mind joining up with randoms but it wasn’t as much fun.

I play way more golf as a member somewhere. I played 20-30 rounds a year max of public golf but played more than 70 last year. Fortunately my wife is a saint or doesn’t like me that much.

Private is more expensive though. For me it is worth it.

I plan to be a member at my current club until I can’t play golf anymore. If you find the right place

I like our club for a few reasons.
One, we have a pretty old membership; this doesn't bode well for its future, but it makes things comfortable now.

My wife and I attend occasional social functions there, but mostly the gang meets for breakfast there at least twice a month during the winter,
and we go there to play cards as well.

I've never once used the pool, however,

If I can't play the game much longer, I'll definitely keep a social membership.

The club is corporate owned and thus we don't have the unpleasant politics of a member equity club.

I kinda have it lucky. I have several friends that belong to some very prestigious and expensive clubs. I get to go play there frequently 8-10 per season. So for the amount of rounds I play per year, I stay with my locals.
Merion *****
Squires *****
Ace ****
White marsh
Radnor valley ****
Aronimink *****
yeah, I can’t afford these! Lol…. Nice Friends!

Yes all of those. Add in the ease to get in a quick 6 or 9 or 14. Open practice facilities. If it financially makes sense I'd do private every time.

Private for me. My wife and I use the restaurant. My wife goes to the pool. Other than dining, I don’t get involved in any of the social activities.

Pace.....of.....play. And yes we use all of the amenities.

I keep a membership at a public course and play regularly at a couple of private courses with friends. If I had the money, I would get a membership at a private course. As a couple we would have fun with the range of amenities and social options. That said, I would still frequent the public course. Great people there, and they have amazing programs and support for golfers of all ages. including HS and college golf. There is no better golf culture anywhere if one is willing to tolerate a wider range of attitudes and behavior.

Private if it’s is even an option, and it’s not even close IMO. I guarantee you will play a lot more golf. There is nothing wrong with a good public course or semiprivate but there is a reason it costs more for private. It’s convenience, access and a great experience.

Back