Private or Public Club ?

Considering joining a private club soon. Visiting one tomorrow just to check it out and then playing a round there next week before deciding. This is a pretty "bare bones" private club. By that I mean it is just golf, that's it, and it has a restaurant/grill. No pool and no other extras. It also has no types of minimums; food and beverage for example. I can pay the monthly fee and golf as much as I want with no extra charges on top; cart is $20 if I ride but I want to start walking more. This is all exactly what I want as I don't really want anything extra that's going to drive up the cost. I just want to golf more.

Has anyone joined a place similar sounding to this? Did you get bored with it?

Our club has more amenities, but I definitely have not gotten bored with the golf. We suck enough that you rarely experience the course the same way twice. :ROFLMAO:

We've discussed how I can go out and play 5 holes at lunch if the tee sheet is open, and how awesome that is. That definitely isn't boring.

...This is a pretty "bare bones" private club. By that I mean it is just golf, that's it, and it has a restaurant/grill...

Our Muni is similar, and I have had annual passes. No, I did not get bored. One plays with different people, different tees, different games. Sneak out for a few holes and practice when the course is not busy. Play when the weather is iffy. If it rains or conditions get bad, just quit. You have already paid.

A couple things to consider:
  • Is the course reasonably walkable? Some "real estate" courses have such long walks between green and tee that it makes a cart almost mandatory
  • How is the range? Does it have the features you want?
  • How busy is it during the times you will want to play?

Considering joining a private club soon. Visiting one tomorrow just to check it out and then playing a round there next week before deciding. This is a pretty "bare bones" private club. By that I mean it is just golf, that's it, and it has a restaurant/grill. No pool and no other extras. It also has no types of minimums; food and beverage for example. I can pay the monthly fee and golf as much as I want with no extra charges on top; cart is $20 if I ride but I want to start walking more. This is all exactly what I want as I don't really want anything extra that's going to drive up the cost. I just want to golf more.

This is the perfect kinda private course. What do they charge for walking, if anything?

Do you have a range? I assume they do and it’s unlimited.

Our Muni is similar, and I have had annual passes. No, I did not get bored. One plays with different people, different tees, different games. Sneak out for a few holes and practice when the course is not busy. Play when the weather is iffy. If it rains or conditions get bad, just quit. You have already paid.

A couple things to consider:
  • Is the course reasonably walkable? Some "real estate" courses have such long walks between green and tee that it makes a cart almost mandatory
  • How is the range? Does it have the features you want?
  • How busy is it during the times you will want to play?
Very walkable from what I understand, which I love. It's an older course which helps with that, but means it's not super demanding play wise either. Which might be good to not face carnage frequently lol. The walking part is massive for me, and probably the number one draw.

I will see the range tomorrow and try it next week, so more info to come there.

And I'm told the only really popular tee times are 8-11 am on the weekends. I'm hoping this will push me to go off early morning on the weekends, which would be a bonus. Get done early and beat the Texas heat.

This is the perfect kinda private course. What do they charge for walking, if anything?

Do you have a range? I assume they do and it’s unlimited.
No fees for walking and can use your own push cart with no extra charge. Can even store it there for $8 a month.

They have a range and it is unlimited. Will see what it looks like very soon.

Our club has more amenities, but I definitely have not gotten bored with the golf. We suck enough that you rarely experience the course the same way twice. :ROFLMAO:

We've discussed how I can go out and play 5 holes at lunch if the tee sheet is open, and how awesome that is. That definitely isn't boring.
Haha your first point is very valid lol. And yeah the dropping in for a few holes is huge and should allow me to get out there more often, which is my #1 goal. I'm trying to manage my excitement in case I'm disappointed after playing there next week, but it's tough lol.

No fees for walking and can use your own push cart with no extra charge. Can even store it there for $8 a month.

They have a range and it is unlimited. Will see what it looks like very soon.
Just sign up. Just do it. No food and bev minimums had me convinced for you.

Just sign up. Just do it. No food and bev minimums had me convinced for you.
I like your way of thinking! Honestly it will take something pretty negative about the place after visiting to keep me from doing it. Everything I see is that the course is always in great shape too. Getting bored with an old course design is my major concern, but I guess worst case is I try it for a year and if I don't like it, I drop it then.

I like your way of thinking! Honestly it will take something pretty negative about the place after visiting to keep me from doing it. Everything I see is that the course is always in great shape too. Getting bored with an old course design is my major concern, but I guess worst case is I try it for a year and if I don't like it, I drop it then.
Our club in Nashville was a very old design that was also very walkable. I never got tired of it.
With that said, I dont think I am the person that would every pay for a club that did not at least offer something social I was after. I want social golf games, good food and staff in restaurant, etc.

If I were ever to join a private clue (not likely) I would want low or no food/drink minimums, walkable if I want to and a course I wouldn't get tired of playing.

If you get tired of it, change the tee box you play from. You’re not out there shooting 54 lol

Use of club to entertain clients will reduce cost. And they will feel special.

Our club in Nashville was a very old design that was also very walkable. I never got tired of it.
With that said, I dont think I am the person that would every pay for a club that did not at least offer something social I was after. I want social golf games, good food and staff in restaurant, etc.
They do have monthly MGA tournaments and I posted locally asking about the club and a few members reached out saying there's always games put together by the members every weekend. So I'd at least get that if I wanted.

If you get tired of it, change the tee box you play from. You’re not out there shooting 54 lol
Haha not yet! Junior tees could be fun.

Haha not yet! Junior tees could be fun.
You say that, and then all of a sudden you’re like man why do I suck from these tees too? I can drive some of these par 4’s!

Everytime I play at a really nice course with great staff, I become increasingly aware that while my course is good and the staff are friendly, it could be way better.

You say that, and then all of a sudden you’re like man why do I suck from these tees too? I can drive some of these par 4’s!
Lol this is too true and I know it, but it still hurts to hear it 😂

Lol this is too true and I know it, but it still hurts to hear it 😂
I did a 2 man best ball tournament from the junior tees. I drove 2 par 4’s to within 6ft and eagled both. Ask me what I did on the par 5’s…… 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

I would love to be a golf member at the privates around me but you had better have a spare one time initiation fee of $12,000 and UP depending on which private club, not to mention monthly membership due's to boot. So its public's and play with the members as a guest at a few privates.

I would love to be a golf member at the privates around me but you had better have a spare one time initiation fee of $12,000 and UP depending on which private club, not to mention monthly membership due's to boot. So its public's and play with the members as a guest at a few privates.
Yeah that's a hell of a pill to swallow. No way I'm ever be able to join anything like that. The one I'm looking at has a special right now that drops the initiation to only $500 with a one year commitment. Hard to pass up!

Private is out of my price range right now.

January 1st will be my first full year as a member of a private club that sounds just like the one you are looking at. It is golf only and has a range and practice putting greens. It is very walkable, I rode a bit more than I wanted, especially during the hot summer. I plan on walking more this next year. There is a restaurant and they have social dinners 1-2 times a month. I have been to a few and enjoyed them. The pace of play is just under 4 hours normally. Can be faster/slower depending on how busy but overall very happy with the pace of play. I love the fact I can walk and play a few holes after work until it gets dark. And there are great groups that have weekly games and at least one course run tournament a month. My wife surprised me with the membership for Christmas last year and it is the best gift I have ever received!

January 1st will be my first full year as a member of a private club that sounds just like the one you are looking at. It is golf only and has a range and practice putting greens. It is very walkable, I rode a bit more than I wanted, especially during the hot summer. I plan on walking more this next year. There is a restaurant and they have social dinners 1-2 times a month. I have been to a few and enjoyed them. The pace of play is just under 4 hours normally. Can be faster/slower depending on how busy but overall very happy with the pace of play. I love the fact I can walk and play a few holes after work until it gets dark. And there are great groups that have weekly games and at least one course run tournament a month. My wife surprised me with the membership for Christmas last year and it is the best gift I have ever received!
That's awesome man! Glad you're enjoying it, and makes me feel better about the possibility of the one I'm looking at.

Back