Project X Graphite Shaft Review

biggsy

Reaction score
I recently reshafted my new Taylormade Burner Superfast Driver with a Project X Graphite Shaft. I was dissatisfied with the standard shaft setup and length that came with the Superfast, so reshafting was a the logical decision in my case. I've had a good month of solid testing with this and I wanted to give my thoughts to the forum.

From the company:

The name that revolutionized steel shafts and won major tournaments around the world just got better. Introducing the new Project X driver and hybrid shafts, the Next Generation in sophisticated Project X engineering.

Driver
The new Project X driver shaft has a similar bend profile to Project X iron shafts. The driver shaft’s firm tip design yields a penetrating launch and low spin while its low torque and reinforced cross section provide the most stable shaft performance on tour.

Testing

Need For A New Shaft
My biggest issue with the standard setup of the Superfast was inconsistency and forgiveness. I am an amateur golfer with a swing speed in the mid 120's and I am going to have a couple of off center hits on the driver in a given round. Minimizing a bad result from a mis-hit is one of my main concerns in a driver.

Shaft Fitting
I went through an Online Shaft Fitting process. I have since learned about the online shaft fitting offered through the Project X website from tcalloway1's iron shaft project thread . The online fitting site can be found here. ShaftFit.com. I was fit with a PX 7.0 6A4 69g. shaft.

Looks
The Project X Graphite Shaft is very subtle in it's beauty but comes roaring to life with it's background. It has a base color of Royal Blue with Silver lettering. Upon looking at the shaft a little closer, there is a matted finish in the background of the brand lettering of a very simple but strong tribal art design. That art is what gives this shaft it's voice. The shaft is very quiet upon first looking at it, but makes it's statement upon further testing and inspection by just flat out performing.

Conclusion
This shaft is the real deal.There have been 5 PX Driver shaft victories including Ernie Els and Justin Rose have both won 2 tournaments to date this season using this shaft. Justin Rose won his two using my exact setup.

The Project X Graphite Driver Shaft has helped out my driver game tremendously. Although I did not see any distance gains, there weren't any losses. My consistency and accuracy has improved and it's allowed me to hit more fairways, giving me an even better chance of hitting greens.

Anyone in the market for a new driver shaft should take a look at this one. I also recommend that you should first go through the online shaft fitting for a proper fit as mentioned above.

My next step is to put this shaft in my 3 wood and hybrid. Until next time.

Project X Graphite Technology

Zonal Design Theory
Project X driver and hybrid shafts are engineered using True Temper’s proprietary Zonal Design Theory (ZDT) which divides the shaft into three zones—butt, mid and tip sections. Each zone is optimized for performance using a specific design technology.

Butt section:

Hex-Axial Reinforcement Technology provides unmatched cross sectional stability minimizing energy lost to ovalization.

Mid section:

Constant Taper Design eliminates localized bending and creates even loading and unloading for maximum energy transfer.

Tip section:

Elongated Double Wrapped 55 MSI Reinforcement for a firmer tip section which minimizes droop and lag and reduces back spin.

Tour Launch and Spin

Like the Project X iron shafts, Project X driver and hybrid shafts provide penetrating launch conditions with ultra low spin. The stiff butt, soft mid-section combine with the double reinforced tip section to maintain a strong angle of attack and greatly reduce spin, even in higher loft drivers.

929099218_mJ7MP-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks biggsy! glad to hear that you've found a partnership that is working!

biggsy's launch monitor numbers for those keeping score at home. Since putting this shaft in his driver, he has hit more fairways than I have ever seen him hit.

IMG00144-20100618-0909-400x300.jpg

Those numbers are just sick!!

you're a freak biggsy!! glad to hear that you're finding more fwys man!

biggsy's launch monitor numbers for those keeping score at home. Since putting this shaft in his driver, he has hit more fairways than I have ever seen him hit.

Those numbers are just sick!!

The scariest part is that his ball speed and club head speed are down slightly in this picture. I saw club head speed over 125 and ball speed over 190 on many swings. And he swing is so fluid, it does not look fast.

Wish I could oem his numbers! Thanks for the review biggsy.

In addition, I can't remember the last time I had a draw with my driver.

Man 7.5* launch angle that would be amazing.

Those numbers are nutty! Glad you found a good match for your game, biggsy!

Are we sure those aren't metric system numbers? unreal!

Whats your driving average biggsy? ish?
At the moment, 290 consistently, just given because I am not always square on the center of the face. When I am square, 3 teens ish...

The scariest part is that his ball speed and club head speed are down slightly in this picture. I saw club head speed over 125 and ball speed over 190 on many swings. And he swing is so fluid, it does not look fast.

I love watching Biggsy hit the ball. The man is a beast with a smile.

Lets keep in mind that the numbers may be off on the monitor since setho banged one off of it. I kid I kid! HAHA

Lets keep in mind that the numbers may be off on the monitor since setho banged one off of it. I kid I kid! HAHA

I just wanted to put the fear in its heart so it would give me good numbers (don't think it worked though).

Good review biggsy! Hope it continues to work for you.

Biggsy, what shaft were you using before you tried the superfast driver?

Bigsy, thank you for review man. Btw those numbers are sick. If you see someone in FL trying to copy your swing don't pay any attention. HAHAHAHA. Jk.. well maybe... But really those are awesome numbers/great review and I'm definitely going to check out PX shafts when I get the Superfast. What was the stock shaft you had with the superfast? What type of issues did you have with it?

My back is hurting just looking at that swing speed

Biggsy, what shaft were you using before you tried the superfast driver?
I had a stock Fujikura ZCOM Pro66 Stiff in my FT-9. This was a good setup for me. I then used a Miyazaki Blue that I won from THP and then tested in several heads with an Imix tip and had mixed results with it. I ended up selling the shaft. It just wasn't a great fit for me and thought someone else could benefit more from it.

Bigsy, thank you for review man. Btw those numbers are sick. If you see someone in FL trying to copy your swing don't pay any attention. HAHAHAHA. Jk.. well maybe... But really those are awesome numbers/great review and I'm definitely going to check out PX shafts when I get the Superfast. What was the stock shaft you had with the superfast? What type of issues did you have with it?
Thanks a bunch. Mine came standard with a Matrix Ozik XCON-4.8 stiff that is about 1" longer than standard drivers.

lmao!!

Thank you sir! Just did the shaft fit online. Awesome stuff!
I had a stock Fujikura ZCOM Pro66 Stiff in my FT-9. This was a good setup for me. I then used a Miyazaki Blue that I won from THP and then tested in several heads with an Imix tip and had mixed results with it. I ended up selling the shaft. It just wasn't a great fit for me and thought someone else could benefit more from it.

Thanks a bunch. Mine came standard with a Matrix Ozik XCON-4.8 stiff that is about 1" longer than standard drivers.

Thank you sir! Just did the shaft fit online. Awesome stuff!

It is a darn good program if you ask me. As long as you are honest with the system and not be generous, it works well and has for thousands of golfers. It will not take the place of an actual fitting, but does help more than it hurts.

It is a darn good program if you ask me. As long as you are honest with the system and not be generous, it works well and has for thousands of golfers. It will not take the place of an actual fitting, but does help more than it hurts.

being honest is the most important part there. I have played with a lot of people who will tell me they hit it 280 when really they get it about 230

Back